Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opeler
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
83611854_10157495231585020_4916798055593803776_n.jpg https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/837293883390730/

Curious to know how bad the rust is on this little wagon but I dont need another project either.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,454 Posts
Rust coming up from out of the upper corner of the passenger side fender? And in the rust belt of northern IN? It would take a full examination but those factors are not good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 426544 View attachment 426544 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/837293883390730/

Curious to know how bad the rust is on this little wagon but I dont need another project either.
Thanks for the heads up reply in Introductions. I looked at this car yesterday. I'm no authority on these cars - this is the first one I've be seen in person since about 1985. I did heavy collision repair for 35 years, but am not familiar with this body. Here's what I saw.
The front fenders and hood were replaced at some point with old blue paint showing. The body is quite straight with a 6" diameter dent in the R. rear corner of the roof. Paint on the R. side (from the door back), hatch, and roof appears to be original. All the anodized trim is present and useable.
The windshield is cracked lower L. corner, the rest of the glass is good. The rockers and lower body, spare tire well look great, rust starting in the door bottoms, but not terrible. The doors and hatch operate as they should with good gaps. The hatch floor (some water was present) and floor under the rear seat are good. The interior and carpet seem to be original and mostly intact, the headliner is nice and quite clean, all the interior plastic seems to be there, radio delete, minor dash cracks, has a tach and three gauge pod under radio delete area. The speedo and tach work. The engine starts with just a little lifter noise, then warms up and idles quite well, Pertronix conversion. All the F.I. components seem to be there and its works pretty well as far as I can tell (new fuel pump that is loud), but there is about 2" of free travel in the throttle linkage so it's difficult to drive smoothly. The owner replaced the clutch last year and it engages smoothly but way too high - needs to be adjusted? I went for a short drive since the tires were low (original styled steel wheels? and button Opel caps). It was difficult to drive smoothly in traffic and the steering was really heavy. There was some serious rust under the battery - the area had been repaired once before and was getting worse. Both front fenders had rust at the top rear corners and the cowl was getting nervous in these areas. The hood had underside rust along the front edge.
The wagon is repairable, but at what cost in dollars, time and labor? It would probably be a great parts car at the right price (?). It's been parked outside and needs to be protected. I'm hoping to find a wagon that's more intact. Should this one be saved?

·
Opeler
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up reply in Introductions. Should this one be saved?
Glad I could help you find a candidate. I almost never see these listed for sale. I am not very knowledgable about Asconas. So I guess I am not the person to ask if this one should be saved.

Good luck in your quest to find a good Sportwagen.

·
Opeler
411 Posts
Yes, it most definitely should be saved. However, I think it is priced too high for all the work it needs. I have always loved these Opels since they came out. If I had a larger garage.....
I hope someone can get this and save it.

·
Opel Key Master
4,951 Posts
There is a pretty nice one on FB Market place in Nashville. $1500 and it’s a 75. It’s not running right go figure, but looks good. Don’t know about underneath. The interior front seats have been redone without the headrests.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,454 Posts
For the car posted here, the battery tray rust is almost universal in these Asconas and Mantas..

The rust up by the back of the inner fenders is concerning but can be repaired with welded mild steel pieces. That rust area is due to salt on the rust belt roads up there.

The largest rust concern is not mentioned: where the front subframes sweep down under the firewall on each side. If this area gets rust it it repairable but not easy and that is a structurally critical point.

Did you pull up the front carpets and examine the floor boards? If they have holes, then the front subframe area is usually also rusted.

This is all common for midwestern rust-belt cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts