Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my collection of ash Trays for the Opel GT. Over the years I had a Bad Habit of collecting them... The Rare Flip Top Ash Trays that first came out in the late 60's were my favorites.
This is my collection and My plan is to restore them ""All""/// I will be Powder Coating them all too.
""Any extra's"" I will post..later for sale$
I prefer the Flip Tops..so I will walk you though the steps for both

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First thing is to take them apart..I'll start with the Flip Top model I like using a really thin tip control type screw driver Micro type and pry up gently the tabs that hold the ash tray top together... No worries now if you scratch something..but can't go wild. using a Nylon tip needle nose plier will help too
Remove the Vinyl and the Cardboard inside
The flip top is also held together with a spring and small dowel for the hinge.
Most flip tops break because the cardboard inside breaks down preventing the spring from working.

Now everything ready to go to the Powder coating shop (last pic)

Stay tuned :veryhappy

Attachments

Reactions: Opelwyo

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are the ashtrays interchangeable? Can a slider be upgraded to a flip top?

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the ashtrays interchangeable? Can a slider be upgraded to a flip top?
Yepper, :yup: The two style Ash Trays are interchangeable.. The enclosure opening in the center console are All the same factory size all years

Anyway here some of my order from the powder coat shop.... ( You see That I can't Paint a dam thing without fken it UP :yup:...but am good at Blasting something lol)

Am also doing another Powder Coat Steering Column for my other GT. I was thinking about doing this for people if there an interest..... with new Ign, switch of coarse.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you get the parts looking the way you want..start to assembly them
Trace the stock card and the vinyl or leather material and cut them out..add a 3/16 foam and start to assemble slide the hinge and dowel into bottom hook spring, slide in backer/vinyl and start to crimp it back...using a nylon tip nose plier and plastic/wood
"" Don't want to gall/scratch it up NOW! Take your Time... :veryhappy

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good work Mike.:yup:

But when I remember correct the slider ashtray. I mean the brass sliders must be on the upperside from the handle!
And you must clean the brass sliders from paint.Otherwise they stuck by opening.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=283625&d=1478896332
Alright Norbert :cool3: you know this... you are right...was a test photo :haha:

I was kinda wondering why I broke off a Real Nice Handle made of Walnut wood on a test model then mark score Coating see photo... I knew this :ugh: yeah
I have to clean careful without scratch Powder Coating those Tabs Brass..sounds like fun
New Handle attach. machine screw and nut

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I took mine out. I sent my dash and shifter counsel to Just Dashes years ago. I asked them if they could fill in the spot where the ashtray was, and they answered that it would be no problem. I smoke cigars now, I need to find a way (beside rolling down the window) to get rid of the ashes and the butts. I guess my "traveling ash tray" that looks somewhat like a big sippie cup and does the job. So no ash tray for my GT. Funny thing is no one has missed it. My original ash tray looked really bad, even after it was painted and fixed up, so it was time to get rid of it.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you found a source for new springs? I could use a new one of those and a locking tab.

:thinking:
Looking for another fliptop Ashtray Gordo In my madness of Opel Part Storage.
PM you when I find it. ( was not a candidate for restoring)

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ashtray Sale

It's been a while since I started on the ashtray restorations.. Ashtray 3.jpg
Two Slider Ashtrays For Sale

So far I have restored two Slider Ashtrays, there coated with Glossy Black Powder coating,. and Look real sharp ,like " New"
shows some light surface scratches.. but will not be seen inside a GT... see photo's Ashtray 4.jpg Ashtray 1.jpg

I would like to get $80 on these,, by the time you buy a good one, have it blasted and then coated,,
add a new handle ( Splendid Parts )..... and your Time,,... """ Free Shipping included""""
It's practically like brand New ... just sayin

These are first come first served, if anybody is interested? Ashtray #1 and Ashtray #2 Ashtray 2.jpg Ashtray 1.jpg Ashtray 5.jpg
Shipping Priority mail USPS ... Paypal / friends and family ,please
Questions please,, Post or P/M sale final thanks,
-Mike

I have one 69 Flip Top Ashtray that am in the middle of restoring... trying to pick the insert material/color
If anyone is interested ? rare .. and I'd like to get more for it.
Ashtray 3.jpg

·
RunOpel
1,228 Posts
Mike those look really good. What year GT's had the flip up? I wasn't aware there were flip up
ash trays. My 71 has the slide. I kind of like the flip up idea :yup:

Cool work though

·
Opeler
250 Posts
I took my sliding one apart and had it powder coated. The powder coating makes them really tough. The only problem was I had to work at making it slide smoothly again. I guess the powder coating is a bit thick or I just snugged it up too much when I put it back together. I broke the handle and had to epoxy it back together only to discover that you could buy new handles. I think the flip tops are sexier. I may go that way in the future. I guess we just can't stop tinkering with our GT's.

4,231 Posts
In 2017 I have done the last ashtray what Gordon send me over the pond in a lot of parts.
Well the flip looks better.But it was never a usable Ashtry.The ash it self lays and blow arround all over the shifter console.
Is better for coins and other things.
So for smoker the slider was much more better choise.Next minus for the flip tray is,to find the springs.
Okay the close spring is done with fine scraper blades.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright Norbert :cool3: you know this... you are right...was a test photo :haha:

I was kinda wondering why I broke off a Real Nice Handle made of Walnut wood on a test model then mark score Coating see photo... I knew this :ugh: yeah
I have to clean careful without scratch Powder Coating those Tabs Brass..sounds like fun
New Handle attach. machine screw and nut
I took my sliding one apart and had it powder coated. The powder coating makes them really tough. The only problem was I had to work at making it slide smoothly again. I guess the powder coating is a bit thick or I just snugged it up too much when I put it back together. I broke the handle and had to epoxy it back together only to discover that you could buy new handles. I think the flip tops are sexier. I may go that way in the future. I guess we just can't stop tinkering with our GT's.
I did the same thing on the first set.... Those two tabs on both sides of the slider,,, clean them off no powder coat on them
Those act like little slider springs... but not when painted,, sand them clean off to thin metal,, then when you assemble them... make sure the top is not bent or warp so the slider will not rub, and not too tight..and I wax the slider plate,, helps

I have two Slider are for sale

The Flip Top Ashtray are Nicer Looking,, but only a 1969 GT has them. Am working on two of them.. and a way to repair spring, replacement ...

·
RunOpel
1,228 Posts
Mike I would be interested in a flip up ash tray even though I have a 71 Opel GT.
I don't smoke so the flip up would be for coins, etc. Mostly for looks :yup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts