Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Concours D’Lemons car show in downtown Detroit with my 1972 Opel Manta. This was held by Haggerty the insurance guys in conjunction with their Radwood event.
I drove straight down Woodward Avenue early this morning. It was super foggy even so I was cruising along and was catching green traffic lights for almost the whole way downtown. Still it was almost an hour drive.

During registration I got my credentials and went to get first gear, apparently the reverse lockout on my shifter doesn’t function and I was in reverse. I’m sure I freaked out the guy in Ferrari Boxer behind me when my reverse lights came on and I started to go backwards. First thing I did was park and find him to apologize. He was really cool about and he said his reverse lockout didn’t work either.

My Opel was in the “Der Self-Satisied Krautten Wagon” class. With only three other cars in the class I had a chance to get a trophy. There was a ‘74 VW Thing that was in perfect condition and a VW Diesel-gate Passat with over a half million miles on it and my car. My cheese cake bribes for the judges was an effective bribe for the judges but still not enough for me to get the trophy for my class. The judges were apologetic, they really liked my car and they said it was the toughest class to pick a winner.

The Manta was super popular. I was immediately getting positive comments even before I parked for the show. I got a lot of “was is it?” and a few “I had one many years ago but haven’t seen another in forty years” comments. And a lot of people mentioned the great aesthetics.

Lots of wacky fun cars. May need to go next year.
Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

worst of show - I had to look at this all day
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Limousine

judges
Plant Tire Tree Wheel Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Radwood
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

my car
Tire Wheel Sky Building Vehicle

1982 Chrysler K-car
Car Plant Vehicle Tire Window

1959 P
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
The Young One
1,725 Posts
Nice event, but....no pics of the Renault Alpine GTA??
I have always liked those cars. They were a single turbo v6 correct?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,691 Posts
Some, not all Alpines were turbo'd. There was a version used in a different Renault that was twin turbo'd.
The engine itself is referred to as the PRV as it was a joint venture between Peugeot Renault Volvo. Initially a low hp (130-140) motor, later turbo versions were above 400hp.

This is the Venturi 400GT:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the US the PRV 3.0L V6 was used in the Eagle Premier and Dodge Monaco through 1991.
The DeLorean project was interesting and I wonder if Colin Chapman of Lotus would have ended up being prosecuted for some of the weird financial aspects of this saga and the missing government cash.

·
Registered
1969 Opel GT 1.9L.
161 Posts
Went to the Concours D’Lemons car show in downtown Detroit with my 1972 Opel Manta. This was held by Haggerty the insurance guys in conjunction with their Radwood event.
I drove straight down Woodward Avenue early this morning. It was super foggy even so I was cruising along and was catching green traffic lights for almost the whole way downtown. Still it was almost an hour drive.

During registration I got my credentials and went to get first gear, apparently the reverse lockout on my shifter doesn’t function and I was in reverse. I’m sure I freaked out the guy in Ferrari Boxer behind me when my reverse lights came on and I started to go backwards. First thing I did was park and find him to apologize. He was really cool about and he said his reverse lockout didn’t work either.

My Opel was in the “Der Self-Satisied Krautten Wagon” class. With only three other cars in the class I had a chance to get a trophy. There was a ‘74 VW Thing that was in perfect condition and a VW Diesel-gate Passat with over a half million miles on it and my car. My cheese cake bribes for the judges was an effective bribe for the judges but still not enough for me to get the trophy for my class. The judges were apologetic, they really liked my car and they said it was the toughest class to pick a winner.

The Manta was super popular. I was immediately getting positive comments even before I parked for the show. I got a lot of “was is it?” and a few “I had one many years ago but haven’t seen another in forty years” comments. And a lot of people mentioned the great aesthetics.

Lots of wacky fun cars. May need to go next year.

View attachment 448166
As the owner of a 68 Dart, thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Dart was very nice and still has a slant six. A very nice couple originally from Italy were the owners and loved my 1900 (aka Manta).
I have a ‘66 Valiant convertible and it’s good to know I’m not alone with an Opel & Mopar A-body combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts