Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opeler
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of ATS wheels that are 13x7. Not sure of the offset but they fit nicely on the GT. I posted pics of the wheel markings. Will a 205/60R13 work well on this wheel?
Or should it be larger?
ats1.jpg
ats2.jpg
ats3.jpg
ats4.jpg

Karl

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
205/60R13 is a good fit on a 7” rim.

A 7” rim (inner bead to inner bead) is roughly 8” overall width.

A 205 mm wide tire mathematically works out to 8.07” wide.

I’ve run that size on a lot of my cars.

·
Opeler
106 Posts
Yes the 205/60-13 will work well on a 7 inch wide wheel. Before you buy tires though check the wheel offset to make
sure there is clearance. I run that tire size on a widened 13x6 wheel on my kadett rallye and it works fine so i am sure it will fit the 7 inch wide wheels with no issues.

·
Opeler
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes the 205/60-13 will work well on a 7 inch wide wheel. Before you buy tires though check the wheel offset to make
sure there is clearance. I run that tire size on a widened 13x6 wheel on my kadett rallye and it works fine so i am sure it will fit the 7 inch wide wheels with no issue.
There is clearance. I test fitted the wheels on the GT and no issues. What is the maximum backspace I can have on the GT with the 7 inch rim? The only thing that would be an issue would be when I turn sharp.

Karl

·
Opeler
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I’ve run that size on a lot of my cars. View attachment 435951 View attachment 435953
Can you tell by the numbers in the pics that I posted what the offset is? These are original ATS wheels. I looked on the back and didnt see any markings.

Karl

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Here ya go

·
Detritus Maximus
2,872 Posts
On most euro wheels there is an 'ET' followed by numbers. That would be the offset. No sign of the 'ET'?

·
Opeler
106 Posts
You can measure the backspace, the total rim width, then calculate the offset.

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
What is the maximum backspace I can have on the GT with the 7 inch rim?

Karl
A 13” x 7” rim with 4” backspacing and 205/60R13 is a good fit on a GT.

With 13” wheels on a GT, 4” is the max recommended backspacing. At full steering lock the rims can hit the upper control arms with a deeper backspacing.

As the rim diameter increases so does the clearance to the upper control arm, so more backspace can be used (up to a point).

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can tell you that ATS makes an incredibly strong wheel. Many years ago, my oldest son hit a high curb with the RF wheel of his 533i. Bent the car up so badly, the sunroof popped out, and the RF door would not open and shut. I parted it out. I ASSUMED the RF wheel was bad, but a couple years later put it on a car in an emergency, just to move it. Looked so straight, I put it on the wheel balancer, and it wasn't even bent.

·
Opeler
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here ya go

I know how to measure offset. Just need the max.

Karl

·
Opeler
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 13” x 7” rim with 4” backspacing and 205/60R13 is a good fit on a GT.

With 13” wheels on a GT, 4” is the max recommended backspacing. At full steering lock the rims can hit the upper control arms with a deeper backspacing.

As the rim diameter increases so does the clearance to the upper control arm, so more backspace can be used (up to a point).
Perfect.....thanks. I just need the max I could have with no clearance issues. Thanks again.

Karl

·
Opeler
106 Posts
I think if you plan to add a front sway bar that will reduce your clearance more as well. Not sure if that was in your plans.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a set of ATS wheels that are 13x7. Not sure of the offset but they fit nicely on the GT. I posted pics of the wheel markings. Will a 205/60R13 work well on this wheel?
Or should it be larger?
View attachment 435950 View attachment 435947 View attachment 435948 View attachment 435949
Karl
Hi All- The offset on that rim is 3... the "e3" tells that- sometimes the "et" is shortened to "e" as it appears to be in this case. That's a lot of offset to the outside... you may have some rub issues on the front wheel/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock under full lock... HTH

·
Opeler
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All- The offset on that rim is 3... the "e3" tells that- sometimes the "et" is shortened to "e" as it appears to be in this case. That's a lot of offset to the outside... you may have some rub issues on the front wheel/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock under full lock... HTH
I measured the rim from edge to edge. The 7 inch rim is 8 inches from edge to edge. Measured the backspacing. It was 4.25 inches. So that comes out to be around 3.75 inches backspace.
The 3 might be the the spacing in the front of the rim. That makes sense with my measurements.

Karl

·
Registered
53 Posts

I’ve run that size on a lot of my cars. View attachment 435951
Hey, they look like my wheels! 7x13 37ET with 205/60R13. Whoever widened them preserved the 37mm offset. I found them in a junkyard a long time ago.
Thomas

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts