Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of ATS wheels that are 13x7. Not sure of the offset but they fit nicely on the GT. I posted pics of the wheel markings. Will a 205/60R13 work well on this wheel?
Or should it be larger?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Tread
Automotive tire Fluid Automotive lighting Water Plumbing fixture

Karl

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
205/60R13 is a good fit on a 7” rim.

A 7” rim (inner bead to inner bead) is roughly 8” overall width.

A 205 mm wide tire mathematically works out to 8.07” wide.

I’ve run that size on a lot of my cars.

·
Opeler
109 Posts
Yes the 205/60-13 will work well on a 7 inch wide wheel. Before you buy tires though check the wheel offset to make
sure there is clearance. I run that tire size on a widened 13x6 wheel on my kadett rallye and it works fine so i am sure it will fit the 7 inch wide wheels with no issues.

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes the 205/60-13 will work well on a 7 inch wide wheel. Before you buy tires though check the wheel offset to make
sure there is clearance. I run that tire size on a widened 13x6 wheel on my kadett rallye and it works fine so i am sure it will fit the 7 inch wide wheels with no issue.
There is clearance. I test fitted the wheels on the GT and no issues. What is the maximum backspace I can have on the GT with the 7 inch rim? The only thing that would be an issue would be when I turn sharp.

Karl

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I’ve run that size on a lot of my cars. View attachment 435951 View attachment 435953
Can you tell by the numbers in the pics that I posted what the offset is? These are original ATS wheels. I looked on the back and didnt see any markings.

Karl

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Here ya go

·
Detritus Maximus
2,930 Posts
On most euro wheels there is an 'ET' followed by numbers. That would be the offset. No sign of the 'ET'?

·
Opeler
109 Posts
You can measure the backspace, the total rim width, then calculate the offset.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
What is the maximum backspace I can have on the GT with the 7 inch rim?

Karl
A 13” x 7” rim with 4” backspacing and 205/60R13 is a good fit on a GT.

With 13” wheels on a GT, 4” is the max recommended backspacing. At full steering lock the rims can hit the upper control arms with a deeper backspacing.

As the rim diameter increases so does the clearance to the upper control arm, so more backspace can be used (up to a point).

·
Registered
544 Posts
I can tell you that ATS makes an incredibly strong wheel. Many years ago, my oldest son hit a high curb with the RF wheel of his 533i. Bent the car up so badly, the sunroof popped out, and the RF door would not open and shut. I parted it out. I ASSUMED the RF wheel was bad, but a couple years later put it on a car in an emergency, just to move it. Looked so straight, I put it on the wheel balancer, and it wasn't even bent.

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here ya go

I know how to measure offset. Just need the max.

Karl

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 13” x 7” rim with 4” backspacing and 205/60R13 is a good fit on a GT.

With 13” wheels on a GT, 4” is the max recommended backspacing. At full steering lock the rims can hit the upper control arms with a deeper backspacing.

As the rim diameter increases so does the clearance to the upper control arm, so more backspace can be used (up to a point).
Perfect.....thanks. I just need the max I could have with no clearance issues. Thanks again.

Karl

·
Opeler
109 Posts
I think if you plan to add a front sway bar that will reduce your clearance more as well. Not sure if that was in your plans.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a set of ATS wheels that are 13x7. Not sure of the offset but they fit nicely on the GT. I posted pics of the wheel markings. Will a 205/60R13 work well on this wheel?
Or should it be larger?
View attachment 435950 View attachment 435947 View attachment 435948 View attachment 435949
Karl
Hi All- The offset on that rim is 3... the "e3" tells that- sometimes the "et" is shortened to "e" as it appears to be in this case. That's a lot of offset to the outside... you may have some rub issues on the front wheel/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock under full lock... HTH

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All- The offset on that rim is 3... the "e3" tells that- sometimes the "et" is shortened to "e" as it appears to be in this case. That's a lot of offset to the outside... you may have some rub issues on the front wheel/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock under full lock... HTH
I measured the rim from edge to edge. The 7 inch rim is 8 inches from edge to edge. Measured the backspacing. It was 4.25 inches. So that comes out to be around 3.75 inches backspace.
The 3 might be the the spacing in the front of the rim. That makes sense with my measurements.

Karl

·
Registered
54 Posts

I’ve run that size on a lot of my cars. View attachment 435951
Hey, they look like my wheels! 7x13 37ET with 205/60R13. Whoever widened them preserved the 37mm offset. I found them in a junkyard a long time ago.
Thomas

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts