Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opel Newbie, Truck Oldie
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=31171

Bad news for you guys emissions-wise.

They want to remove the 30-year rolling exemption and replace it with vehicles 45yrs and older starting Jan 1 2005 - IOW, 1960 and older would be all that's exempt.

Contact your representatives and get that stopped...if only because if it starts there, there's a risk of policies like that going nation-wide.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
emmisions

ive known about this for a long time now. i get a monthly news letter from the BAR (bureau of automotive repair). it has talked about this frequntly. many clubs and organizations have sent in letters against it. i have gray davises phone number in sacremento it is 1-916-445-2841. i dont have the address handy right now but i will post it. it might be ur letter that makes them repeal this stupid act. i will keep all u posted monthly on any new news on this that i get in the BAR letter.
Sean
Palos Verdes, CA

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
The 45 year exemption starting 1/1/05 means that all cars after the 1960 (!) model year will be affected.
_
The outrage here is that the bill states that each violation will be considered a misdemeanor... a CRIMINAL violation!

Don't forget that in some states, misdemeanor convictions affect your personal rights (such as your ability to own guns). Gee, why not just make it a FELONY? Than you can lose your right to vote, too (as in some states). People -- criminalizing these kinds of victimless "crimes" is right out of George Orwell's 1984!!! This has no place in a free society... think of all the new laws not yet written that will one day turn each of us into criminals.

"By expanding the scope of a crime, this bill would impose a state mandated local program"._

So are we going to jail because our car won't smog?_The "local program" will probably be smog cops and more govt employees on the payroll who will impound and destroy your non compliant cars._

We all need to take action to oppose this legislation!

Walter

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
From the National Motorists Association...

Dear California NMA Members,

Senate Bill 708 repeals the current pro-hobbyist exemption for vehicles 30 years and older and replaces it with an exemption for vehicles that are 45 or more model years old commencing January 1, 2005.

We urge you to contact your State Senators to oppose SB 708.

** Existing law in California exempts all pre-1974 vehicles from emissions testing until 2003. After 2003, vehicles 30-years old and older are exempt from emissions testing.
** California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.
** Vehicles 30-years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
** Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).
** Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

Please take the time to contact your State Senator on this issue.
To find out who your state senators are, you can visit http://www.sen.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/senators.htp or contact the California Senate general information line at 916/445-4311.
If you have any questions about this issue, please contact the California Activist Jim Thomas, (Home/work 415/924-2184) or [email protected]

Also, a big thanks goes to SEMA for alerting us to this bill.

Best regards,
Eric Skrum
Communications Director

Celebrating 20 years of protecting your rights!
National Motorists Association_____ 608/849-6000
[email protected]______________________ www.motorists.org
Advocating, Protecting, and Representing the Rights of North American
Motorists

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
Not to sound too 'political' here, but, as someone once said, companies are beginning to have more rights than a person.

My train of thought is this: companies (factories/industry) can buy old cars and destroy them to gain 'credits' so that they don't have to deal with reducing the pollution the factories put out, yet how dare anyone with an old (well maintained/preserved) car complain about installing 'smog equipment' that wasn't even mandated when it was new ('65? in CA. 72 in the rest of the states). Gee, no wonder they aren't meeting the goals. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that outright elimination (without replacement with new cars) of ALL cars in CA that are 20 years old or more, still wouldn't achieve the goals.

Business/industry get convenient loopholes, citizens get the shaft.

But, hey, the public has a much harder time fighting this stuff than industries with big $. Especially, if it is a small percentage. Most people couldn't care less about the concerns of a small minority.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts