Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long shot I know, but does anyone have installation instructions of AutoPlas rear window louvres on an Opel GT? I can certainly find a way of fixing it, but would like to know how AutoPlas advise fitting.
Cheers
Scorp.

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
Rare part

A long shot I know, but does anyone have installation instructions of AutoPlas rear window louvres on an Opel GT? I can certainly find a way of fixing it, but would like to know how AutoPlas advise fitting.
Cheers
Scorp.
I have a set of these Black ABS Plastic Louvers on my Yellow GT. I have to say they are very rare to find them in Good shape.. as the plastic can crack from long exposure to the sun rays
But I have to say they LQQK very nice and are light weight.

Installationis pretty simple. there are two metal or plastic plate tabs to fit under rear window weather stripping
on right and left,, then install the louves on the top and bottom sides under weather strip rubber, than lock down left and right Tabs with the slotted screw driver locking into tabs.. I like it very easy to remove and clean rear window.

Also if your missing the tabs.. you can fabricate your own... or I think there available from the UK

If you need a photo. let me know
Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can you show us a picture of them? Are these the plastic, all in one piece, louvers or the metal type?
The louvres are one piece plastic and are just laid on the car in these photo's. I bought them from a seller in Spain, and luckily, they are in 'as new' condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plastic bits spare

I have a set of these Black ABS Plastic Louvers on my Yellow GT. I have to say they are very rare to find them in Good shape.. as the plastic can crack from long exposure to the sun rays
But I have to say they LQQK very nice and are light weight.

Installationis pretty simple. there are two metal or plastic plate tabs to fit under rear window weather stripping
on right and left,, then install the louves on the top and bottom sides under weather strip rubber, than lock down left and right Tabs with the slotted screw driver locking into tabs.. I like it very easy to remove and clean rear window.

Also if your missing the tabs.. you can fabricate your own... or I think there available from the UK

If you need a photo. let me know
Cheers
Thanks for your message. I've now got the louvre temporarily fitted, but I can't work out what to do with the 'spare' plastice bits (no rude sugestions please!) - the louvre seem to be pretty well held down as it is, and I really cant see why these two tabs are needed. Any observations gratefully received.
Scorp.

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,720 Posts
These louvers seem to be the same as mine. There are two "fixed" tabs (on top and the bottom) and as you said, they fix the louvers pretty well.
Two tabs on the sides are detachable for easier installation. Their role is to prevent flapping at higher speeds.

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
Scorp The tabs are necessary under the rubber gasket,,, Those look like home made ones, those will work
I post picture of the Original type. If you don't use the tabs to lock them down.. like said flapping and then on a windy day the Lourves will detach and blow off the rear window.. You wouldn't want that :no:

Here it what mine look like... If you ever want to sell them or know someone in Europe who has them
Please keep me in mind. I really like them.. and are very, very rare,, Also nice Yellow GT. I favorite Yellow GT's
Good Luck enjoy your GT :veryhappy

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These louvers seem to be the same as mine. There are two "fixed" tabs (on top and the bottom) and as you said, they fix the louvers pretty well.
Two tabs on the sides are detachable for easier installation. Their role is to prevent flapping at higher speeds.
It's the pieces shown in my centre photo that have got me beaten, but as the side fixings seem to work without them, I think I'll put them in a draw and forget about them.
Thanks a lot for your input.
Scorp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Le mans

I've lived in France for nearly eleven years and have not yet been to Le Mans during that time, but hope to go again one day. I went to the 24hr about twenty-fiveyears ago and it was a great experience.
Scorp.

·
Opeler
343 Posts
So how come your still on UK plates I would have thought the Frenchies would have made you change it over?

Where were you from in the U.K.?

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
I have the same louvers going on a car here and have those two extra pics as well. Not sure they are needed, they might be for the upper and lower sliding tabs to have more bite into the rubber, again...not sure

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So how come your still on UK plates I would have thought the Frenchies would have made you change it over?

Where were you from in the U.K.?
I'm awaiting the paperwork that will enable me to register the car as a Voiture de Collection (over 30 years), but for the time being the insurance company are okay about insuring the car on UK plates, as I already have two classics insured on my collectors policy - should be on French plates in a few weeks.

I lived near Sandwich in Kent before moving to Burgundy - no regrets.

Regards
Scorp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same louvers going on a car here and have those two extra pics as well. Not sure they are needed, they might be for the upper and lower sliding tabs to have more bite into the rubber, again...not sure
It certainly seems rigid enough without them, but I've used double-sided badge tape (v. strong) under the side tabs where the two fixing screws go, just to be on the safe side.
SCorp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts