Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,687 Posts
Black absorbing heat was another point I was going to bring up, but I chose to skip it. Plastic is already not good friends with heat and sunlight, black plastic likes the sun even less. Plus, your louvers are already probably dried and bleached out from sun exposure. Black spray paint is also not buddies with the sun.

Consider also putting a coat of a high quality clear on top of whatever paint you use. This will prevent oxidizing of the paint and give them a nice shine. Unless you're into the flat black look, then never mind.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All valid points. Just spent 45+ minutes at Lowes looking for Krylon Fusion "Jungle Green" which the net said they had in stock. Gentleman even got on a scissor lift and looked through the 100's of boxes up top, don't think a younger person would of done that, because I asked one prior and his reply "If it's not on the shelf, we're out" and then walked away. At least the older dude looked, he's a car guy. He told me to order it online and have it dropped on my doorstep. For three cans of spray paint, matte white, Jungle Green, clearcoat. Reading online for this color, if covering a black part, I must paint it white first. Makes sense. Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Finding this rare hard to find louver and in excellent shape was lucky. Now another rare hard to find part so far, lol, is that Appliance Industries 13"x5.5", 4x1.00mm aluminum slotted mag wheel. I've seen a lot of wheels that look like this wheel, but not a match. Just needing one wheel doesn't help, but I know there out there. Search continues!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I put them in my phone, will call on Tuesday. Thanks for the info. I checked their reviews, not so good but if they have the wheel I'm looking for, well okay then.

·
Über Genius
9,887 Posts
I put them in my phone, will call on Tuesday. Thanks for the info. I checked their reviews, not so good but if they have the wheel I'm looking for, well okay then.
If they have it, you will get it, eventually, and not the cheapest price either. Best to call between noon and midnight.
It will almost always be over represented so if they say it's a 10, it might be a 7. If they say it's a 5, it's probably a 3.
You get the drift.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes and thanks for tip! I'm really hoping that the guy I got the three wheels from comes through for me. He has another warehouse to look through, but with temperatures going to triple digits all of next week, he limits his time in there and I don't blame him! Search continues, lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Finally found my Krylon Fusion in Jungle Green. Had to have it shipped from Wichita, KS! No one around here had it, shipping costs more than the paint, SMH. I picked up Matte White, which will work as my primer and a can of clear with UV blockers. Something to do while I'm waiting on Sonny's.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Does OUL return phone calls? I've left two messages and won't leave another. Put out a couple more feelers on the wheel and who knows? Search continues.
OU, aka a few years ago as "Opels Unreachable", is run by Todd Martin. He keeps "late" hours, of between noon and 2 am, Pacific time. The ladies are sometimes there earlier, but not always. Todd is on Facebook a lot, and I noticed he was posting at 8:30 PDT this morning. It might have been BEFORE he went to sleep.

I suggest that you call him later (much later) in the day, or contact him via Facebook or Facebook Messenger.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't use Facebook! A gal called me last night, I told her what I was looking for and was told they have them. I asked for pictures and a price. The three wheels I have are brand new right out of the box. Plus, I can shine an aluminum mag wheel right up. Used to make money back in high-school polishing wheels.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,687 Posts
His hours are/were worse than Keith said. Generally, his habit was to get up at sundown and go to bed at sunrise. He prefers to work during the cooler nighttime temps to avoid the daytime desert heat. He does seem to have changed his pattern lately, though.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,687 Posts
At the Post Office, I worked with "overtime whores". Those guys would climb all over each other and do all sorts of maneuvering to work overtime. We had 2 hour before and after shift overtime at time and a half, if you worked longer than 10 hours total that day you got double time for the extra time. Working one of your days off got you time and a half, work your other day off and you got double time. I knew a few high seniority guys who would vacuum up all the overtime, take no days off all year, plus work those extra 2 hour deals and would more than double their yearly income. It was astounding how little life outside of work that 90% of my fellow mechanics had. They would never take their wives out to dinner, or the movies, or a show/event, they just worked all day, watched TV, and went to bed.......every single day of the year. I refused to work overtime..........and I was top seniority by the time I left and could have doubled my income every year easily. But I would have had no life.......and no car shows. I mountain biked or kayaked 3-4 days a week, took girlfriends to events and dinners, drove all over the place, etc. In other words: A normal life. They would listen to me tell them what I did yesterday like I had the most action packed life imaginable. In my mind, I didn't do schitt. I never really went anywhere on my 2-4 week vacations, I would stay home and redo a bathroom, or put a roof on my house, etc. I would hear them say how much their family vacation trip to the Jersey shore or Florida(same sand and water, just in a different State). Holy Cow, I could have bought a fully restored, perfect, GT every year for the $8000-$15,000 they would spend on vacations. That was just the married guys, the single guys would just stay home for 2-4 weeks drinking and watching tv.

·
Registered
230 Posts
After some thought and some suggestions. I've made the executive decision to take the rear window louver back to Satin Black. Even if I had it painted to match, just toooooo much green, lol.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts