Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Opeler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent thread I was lamenting the fact that I do not have the skills to repair a car let alone tackle a frame off restoration. This got me to thinking, I've seen week long or longer adult summer camps where you go to learn rock climbing, stained glass work, furniture building, etc; anyone ever hear of something like this for Car Restoration. A two week class where you show up and work as a group to restore a car from the ground up. Could it be done in two weeks assuming a team of novices eager to learn and 8 - 10 hours a day?

Please feel free to take this ideas and start your own "Summer Camp" just send me a brochure. :)

imruffsdad

· boomerang opeler
5,666 Posts
have a look in your local area for night classes, here most schools and community colleges run evening classes for adults in lots of subjects and i know 1 of them is car resoration here

· Opel Key Master
5,606 Posts
Opelspyder's Resto How to Course

I have a great idea-I have an Opel on a rotisserie and have lots of metal and body work. I have quite a bit of equipment to work with-welder, body tools. I won't charge too much to learn...and you will have the thrill of knowing you built something that I am cruising around in :) . If anyone in TN (seriously) or surrounding areas-would like to learn some things about metal and body work/fabrication-I would be glad to work with anyone to show some things-in exchange for their labor.
Keith Lundholm

· Registered
28 Posts
sounds like a really cool idea guys... we should have one in every state... I'm definatly interested in doing one of these in colorado... learning ofm course... i am no teacher... hope everyone is enjoying this spring driving!!!! im about to drive my gt to the grocery store and then work. not too many opels in colorado... everyone thinks its a old 60's mini vette... that or occationally someone sports the opel knowlage... i bet colorado has a good market for finished cars

· Banned
3,910 Posts
You would need a car with a variety of problems to start with. Some rust, some dents, screwed up wiring and a motor ready to come out and be torn down as well. Enough tools for several people and a facility to do it in.

I don't know about everybody else but I learn better by doing and occassionally screwing up rather than somebody tell me how it's done.

On the other hand a few cars and owners in one spot to help each other out has alot of merit.

· Vendor
2,465 Posts
Wow...wouldn't it be great if each region or state got their members together and spent a weekend working on their cars together. Maybe a weekend getaway where everyone gets dirty during the day, then sits around at night with a few beers and bench races. And no one has a horrible drive to get back home. That should be our Opels Across America theme! Everyone could setup to get a certain project accomplished (within reason), and show up with their parts (or parts to exchange). Those with perfect cars and know-how could tutor the newbies, bring along special tools, etc.
Nothing big or huge, just a productive and fun weekend that would help keep everyone's car alive. I know I could sure use some help in a lot of areas, yet I could likely help others in some areas as well. I'm sure it's the same for most of us who have been tinkering with these things for years.

I'm totally wrapped up with work all the time, so the only way I ever get off my rump to do this sort of thing is if it's scheduled ahead of time. It'd be something to look forward to.

Biggest obstacle would be a meeting place I suspect.

Todd K.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
As for location Murphy's law would take over. I'f there were supposed to be 5 show, plan on 15. If you plan it in advance better have cover for the inevitable rain, hail, snow or whatever. Centrally located with electricity and local amenities if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.