Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In recent years I have switched from running my GT's fluid lines to an oem auto tranny configured radiator to, instead, running the coolant lines to an aftermarket auto tranny fluid cooler with a built in fan. It's about 12"x12" of all cooling fins, it's probably way bigger than I need, and could maybe even cool the fluid enough without the fan ever coming on. I guess. But just to be on the safe side, I have the fan set to turn on when my back-up radiator electric fan comes on. I use an engine fan AND an electric fan on my GT's 2.4 engine. I have the adjustable thermostat fan controller set to turn on both fans at about 200 degrees.
I have no idea what temperature range the tranny fluid in our TH180 trannies should stay at. I don't want the fluid to get too hot and get degraded. I've been using this set up for about 5 years and my tranny and fluid seem just fine. But I have no idea how hot the fluid gets before the fans kick on, nor do I know how cool the fluid gets when they do turn on. I'm seeking guidance on this matter. Your thoughts and research?

Hood Light Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Apologies if this doesn’t help. I’d guess you couldn’t go too wrong if a good working temperature was somewhere in the mid range of the fluids rated operational temperature range.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm sure someone smarter than I could crunch some numbers But If the thermostat opens at a set temp to keep the engine cool and the clutch fan( in this scenario) energizes at a set temp to aid in stop and go traffic scenario and in most vehicles that have the trans cooler in the radiator or a separate cooler but still in line with the radiator.
Would a good guess be somewhere between say 180 to 200 on the high end and say 170 to 190 for our opels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.