Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! Tranny has been leaking periodcally for some time and thought it was a gasket but it was the filler tube cracked by the tube mount. Before I went to Indiana I ckd the fluid and the tube came off with the dip stick, does anyone have one? I capped it off with a rubber stopper and it dont leak any more, but it needs to be replaced. Can this be changed easily or does the trans have to come out?
Thanks
Andy

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Weld!

You should be able to just get your original tube weld repaired and replace it - with a new "O"-ring seal where it pushes into the trans case. Shouldn't have to dismantle anything but the one bellhousing bolt that holds the tube support bracket.

BTW: I think the "O"-ring is the same as those used for a Powerglide and maybe even a TH350 GM auto trans. Whatever - lots of GM stuff used a similar TH180 auto trans to the one you have in your Opel. So any auto trans shop should be able to help you - just remember to say "GM TH180 Tri-matic trans" and never say "Opel" !! ;)

HTH

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your repsonse Jim I will pull it this week and give it a go !! Never thought of doin that , would rather replace it though if i could find one, we have some parts cars but dont really relish the thought of goin to the field to get it off the car, but if it is that easy will do that first. I think there is an auto out there. thanks again

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts