Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trans Leak

My car has been leaking trans fluid (quite a bit) for a while now. I took it in to be fixed, they put a new seal on and sent me on my way. I am driving the car about 20 minutes when it starts acting up. I pull over, check under the hood, underneath and don't see anything falling off or smoking so I get back in the car, start it up and push on the gas, the car doesn't move. Its reving, but not moving. I go back and forth with the shifter (auto) and it finally clunks into gear (hard, and jerky, likes its ready to go) and it gets up to about 20 miles per hour. I did this all the way home, like it is stuck in 1st and when I get home, I notice the leak is back and within a few minutes is all over the floor again.

Bad trans??? Am clueless about trans and don't want to get ripped off by the shop.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls wonderful help

Jennifer

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Your GT is an automatic. I missed that in your earlier post.

What happened is enough fluid leaked out and you lost the "fluid coupling" that connects the engine to the rear wheels. The engine revved up but the car did not go.

It could, hopefully, be a simple fix of adding more Auto trans fluid (ATF ) and fixing the leak. More serious problems would be if the internals overheated or were damaged due to the lack of lubrication.

The trans is a GM TH-180

·
Registered
112 Posts
I experienced similar symptoms with my automatic soon after delivery. After changing the fluid and taking the car for a test drive - it wouldn't come out of 1st. Upon checking the fluid again I realized I'd put in a bit TOO MUCH fluid. Drained a tad and all was well. Driving it while over-filled probably damaged some seals though because I now have a very slow leak from the transmission.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I would check the transmission dipstick tube where it connects to the tranny. I recently replaced the o-ring seal there, which fixed a bad leak from my automatic.

Walter

·
Opeler
134 Posts
Auto Tranny

Hi Jennifer,

1. Has anyone been able to see exactly where your tranny is leaking from?

2. Do you think you've ever driven it for some time when the tranny fluid was very low?

These questions will help take the diagnostics to the next level. One positive thing you have going for you ... the auto tranny for these cars are built like tanks! It takes a lot to ruin them.

Let us all know the answers asap! You'll get a more accurate assessment.

Good Luck, Richard

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard,

I have only had the car about 2 months and am not sure what all the previous owner ever had done or did to the car.

I have only driven the car 3 or 4 times, because I can't get all the lights working at the same time in order to pass the inspection.

Anyhow, I took the car in for several leaks. They had me order a pinion seal, rear trans seal and pan seal. They pan seal seamed to be where the leak was really bad. I looked at it when they had it up. It is still leaking from that same corner. I called back and now they say my pan may be warped?? I am to take it back up there today. Why they didn't notice this before is beyond me.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jennifer

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
The pan can be straightened if it is "warped".

Is the "warped" area near where the oil filler tube goes in the trans? (See Walters message)

Is the dipstick/filler tube loose at the filler end? If it is not, the bracket that bolts to the back of the engine my be broken and the movement would cause the filler tube oil ring to fail.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
From what I can see lying on my back, the area leaking the most is the area where the line from the manifold, the vacuum modulator, connects to the pan??? The line was hooked up wrong when I got the car. I changed it when I received websters hook-up paper for hoses. Could this have damaged something in that area?? or is there a small seal on the end of this??

Jennifer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gary,

The filler neck does not fill loose.

I crawled underneath and wiped down everthing, waited a while and checked for the leak. It is leaking from modulator connection. I believe when I drive it, the wind blows the leak down that side and looks as if the whole think is leaking. Also, the leak is bad after I drive the car, makes large size puddle in minutes, but it has been sitting for a couple of days and barely has any puddle.

HTH,
Jennifer

·
96 Posts
It could be that the vac mod. is bad or needs a new gasket. Might even be that the shop didn't torque the bolts down( 7-10 lbs) also could be shifter shaft seal, oil filler tube "O" ring,cooler line fittings (snug up 11-15 lbs), detent cable "O" ring.
You need to clean off the trans, raise the rear, block the tires in front(so no move) run car (dangerous be carefull) go through the gears (don't let the speedo go over 20mph) than turn off car get under and look again for leak( remember that the rear was jacked up so fluid will run to front) check the whole trans. top to bottom. start from where it drips and follow it back to source.

Good Luck,
Webster :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from shop and we determined two things. First the trans is not original and the seals I bought from OGTS do not fit. Second the leak is coming from modulator and he is going to replace that seal.

Is there anyway to find out what kinda trans this is? That really pisses me off.

Jennifer

·
96 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think I read some where that the 904 (i think) trans from a Chevy 2.8/3.1/3.4 fits the bolt pattern. should be #'s on lft side of case just above trans pan.

Good Luck,
webster:)

·
96 Posts
One more thing, the bolt holes may have been elongated for some other trans. just get the #'s and call the trans shop.

Webster

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
904?

The 904 transmission is a Chrysler one, not a likely fit in the Opel.

Most Opels in the US used a Fiat Trimatic transmission, built, incidentially, in their Austrailian plant. This is the only type of automatic I have ever actually seen. There is the rumored TH180 (which I think is actually what GM designated the Trimatic as) and a TH225 (or possibly TH250) that is the same transmission used in the Chevy Vega and possibly Chevettes as well. This is an American designed and built transmission supposedly used on some of the later Opels in the US.

The Trimatic 3-speed was one of the most widely used, and arguably best built, automatic transmissions in the world. It made it into small cars built by almost every major auto maker in the world, and any transmission shop in the country should be able to get parts. The "other" transmission I really can't vouch for, but a tranny shop should be able to identify it at a minimum.

My recomendation would be to start there, at a tranny shop, to at least get a proper ID on the thing and possibly ther right parts. Most shops are pretty reasonable about doing the type of work that doesn't involve actually removing the transmission from the car.

·
96 Posts
Yes the 904 is a chrysler 3 spd. It came stock in my '85 jeep cherokee w/2.8 GM engine (the same block as 3.1/3.4 GM). Not sure ( I will look around) But thought I read that it bolts up to the GT 1.9 engine. It could have been that it was an engine swap from the 1.9 to 2.8 that I read but not sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know of a donut seal that will work in the modulator that connects to the tranny???

OGTS only sells the whole thing, but said someone might of found a donut that would work.

Jennifer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today was a good day.

I have been real frustrated over this whole trans thing. I decided to sit down and spend as much time on the phone finding out as much as possible about the Opel trans. After that I called all around to trans shops and asked specific questions. If they didn't know, I said thank you and hung up.

Finally, I get a guy on the line from Cuttman Trans. He knew everything before I asked. I took it in, he put it up, within 10 minutes told me all that was leaking , where he could get the parts, that it WAS the original trans, and he could have it fixed and on the road tomorrow, after the parts get in.

It is hard for us mechanically challenged folks to work on these cars, that alot of mechanics won't work on themselves. But, I believe this site giving info, so we can make better choices on who works on our cars, really is the key to the success of our Opels staying on the road.

Thanks for your patience and knowledge,
Jennifer

·
96 Posts
That's Great that you found a shop to help you out. Just a little note I had a trans shop quote me $1000.00 (yes thats $$) to replace the gaskets w/ new ones that I bought for my auto trans!

Good Luck,
Webster:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the leak is back. Not as bad, but am confused at what is causing it.

To refresh anyones memory, I have had a bad leak at the corner of the pan. I finally narrowed it down to the modulator. Had that replaced, car did great for a week or so, and now the leak is back. Same place, just not as bad. Any reasons Why?

Jen

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Jen;
If there's an o-ring seal for that modulator, it may have blown or is not the correct size.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts