Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of preparing to have two Opel
GT's shipped across the country (west coast to east
coast). I initially tried pricing a van and trailer
rental to haul them myself, but that cost estimate
ended up being ludicrous. I am therefore collecting
quotes for truck shipment from various sources. So
far, the average cost seems to be about $850 for a
single car, plus $100 for the non-running status.

Has anyone on this list recently had a car
shipped via auto transport service?

Any good deals out there?

Any companies to steer clear of?

Keep in mind these are not concours vehicles,
merely rust-free California shells. No interiors to
speak of, nothing special on he outside, so I am not
restricting myself to enclosed transport.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
How cheap are you willing to be?

I know from experience that a Kadett wagon can be made to fit in the back of a pick-up, so I would imagine a GT could as well. Opel's also respond very well to tow bars, so if you wanted a real adventure and could find a truck for the trip......

I'd be game, as it would certainly be an interesting trip, to say th least.

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called around to rent a 15' box van plus trailer. Was going to stick one GT in the van itself, plus as many rust-free parts as I could stuff into the van. The going rate was about $2k to rent the truck, plus $700 for the trailer. Probably high because of the one-way status. Add to that the flight out to CA initially ($425), gas, food and lodging.....and the trip gets VERY expensive, about $4k or so.bv

Can't use a tow dolly in many states unless the car is registered and insured, which it won't be. I was prepared to meet a friend in CA and turn it into a week-long road trip, but it will be far easier to just have them shipped, and cheaper too. Plus, I will get to stay a week in CA, attend the OMC picnic, and hang out with my friend Roger Wilson while getting a chance to weld up his rollcage in his GT racecar.

·
179 Posts
I rented a Uhaul 15 ft truck and a tow dolly to tow a 69 Superbee from Texas to Colorado. Crammed all the parts in the truck including floor pans and fenders. Cost me $400 for the 1 day trip. You want an adventure - try towing a 2500 pound rolling shell down the interstate at 70+ mph. Then the truck broke down @ 1AM in the middle of no where and I had to wait 2 hrs for uhaul to send someone out to fix it - distributor. Then the rear shocks broke on the Superbee causing the car to wobble more than usual. I could go on - I would leave my next car move to the pros - and be willing to pay for their experience. Smart move Bob.

Where are the cars located (city) and where is their final destination? I have a buddy in the repo business in California and I will ask him how he transports vehicles long distances.

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
I own three one ton diesel dually pickup trucks and a flat bed. The last GT I picked up was on Long Island, and was enough to make me never want to transport another car for the rest of my life. First thing that went wrong was only about 1 hr from home. On the Baltimore beltway, all of a sudden, my then very pregnant wife feet started getting very wet from all the water suddenly sraying from under the dash. We pulled off 695, and found an auto parts store where I bought a replactement for the cracked heater hose. About three hours later, at our next gas stop (NJ), when I pull in to get diesel, the nozzle won't fit into the tank, and the guy working the pump barely speaks english. After finding a funnel in the convienience store, and doing some minor surgery with a pocket knife, were back in buisness. About twenty minutes later I finally have two full tanks.
I got started on the trip later than I wanted to, and with the delays I've had, I'm now in the middle of Sat. evening traffic trying to get into the city......yay.
At the exit off of the turnpike to start my trek into NY NY, an older 'gentleman' in a Saturn runs into the flat bed with his passenger side door, as I'm standing completely still! e then jumps out and trys to tell me that I ran into him, never mind the physics of the thing, he's left paint on the back of my trailer (I'd have had to be going backwards). Waiting in the middle of NJ traffic is so very pleasant. Four hours later, I've finally gotten to my destination (at least I got to see the WTC light memorial). As the PO and I start to load up the GT, we immediately get harrased by police checking to see if we're stealing the car...more fun. It is now 10:00PM, the wife is cranky, we need someplace to sleep. We are directed to what turns out to be the most disgusting Motel I've ever been in. Every surface is mirrored, and you don't even want to hear about the smell. The next morning, we've gotten no sleep (thanks to the constant parade of mating rhino's going in and out of the rooms upstairs. We head out to a good start, it only takes us 1 hour to travel what took about 4 the night before. On out next diesel stop however, I had noticed our oil pressure dropping, so I went to check the level, it wasn't showing. I had checked two gas stops before,and it had been fine. I add three quarts, that does the trick. It's about then that I notice the spray of oil all over the trailer and GT. A line to the oil cooler had developed a pinhole leak, and it's Sunday. I spent the rest of the trip stopping every hour to add oil to the truck.
I could go on....but I think that you get the picture.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Bob,

The prices that you have stated seem pretty good ($850 and $100). I never understand the extra $100 non-running car charge, it takes an extra ten minutes and a winch to get the car on the trailer. Doesn't seem like $100 worth of service to me...

I just recently went through the car hauling ordeal. I had to go to Cleveland from Boston to pick up a '60 T-Bird (well outside of my Buick and Opel realm, but it was for my girlfriend's father, and the "Squarebirds" are pretty cool). We first priced out having it hauled, and then compared the cost of a 15' cube van and flat bed trailer. The prices were close enough were we thought "ROAD TRIP!!!", and were on our way. But we neglected to factor the added cost of a rental car (Ford POS) to get to Cleveland, overnight hotel, food, gas, Slim Jim's, and incendentals (plus outlet shopping, smuggling fireworks in the trunk of the T-Bird and a stop at a winery), and the total cost about TRIPLED (quadrupled with said "detours").

The total cost of the trip was worth the extra cost, we had a lot of fun (and fights), but it was only a 14 hour drive. Cali is greater than 48 hours Drive time, that's a long trip WITHOUT worrying about a trailer and cars in tow. That much more so with precious cargo (or would that be car-don't-go, sorry I had to)

But to actually answer your question, I know a few people that have had good luck with A-1 Auto Transport.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can connect you with a car hauler that may be able to do it for around $650 per car. When I had my '72 GT shipped from the bay area to Tennessee I went through a service that quoted $825. I paid $200 advance by credit card and paid $625 cashiers check when the truck pulled up to my house to the driver. The driver explained that the service was basically a broker for several car haulers and said next time call him direct. Send me an email if your interested.

·
GT Owner
396 Posts

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts