Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to vent my frustration and see if anyone had come across this before: As most of you know I recently bought my first baby. I hired a transport company to ship her my way. I did my homework and researched every auto transport co I could find, then got quotes from all of them. (www.howwerate.com is a great resource!) I chose Able Auto Transport because it had the balance of pretty good ratings with a good quote plus they insured the car and gave door to door service (as opposed to dropping it off and picking it up at a terminal). Sooooo I put my requested pickup date as Saturday the 10th (after checking to make sure they offered Saturday service - they do). *On* the 10th I get an email stating they had brokered me out to Nationwide Transport Service, gave me my contact number and name and said to call the contact if I had not heard from them by the pickup date. Well since the email got to me the night of the 10th I waited until Monday... no word. I called the contact and he gave me the "don't worry your pretty head little lady we'll take care of you" song and dance. He claimed some customers on the east coast had not been available to pick up their car but that he would be picking mine up on Tue, or Wed morning at the very latest. I mentioned that he needed to call the seller to let him know as no one had as yet contacted him. I reminded him that I had been promised my seller would get 24-hour notice pre pick-up. He again reassured me. Finally last night (Tue) I called Able Auto and complained. They told me the same story - that some customers in NJ have been blowing the transport co off and haven't been around to pick up their car. I was told that if they werent located by Wed morning that my guy would just keep their car and head on to pick up mine. I again reiterated that my seller needed a heads up - that no one had EVER contacted him.

Well here we are Wed at 3:00 p.m. edt, and neither I nor my seller have heard from this guy. Is this typical? Is this just what you get when using auto transport services or do I have grounds for being upset here? As I see it we're 4 days past my requested pick up date and I have gotten DIDDLE for customer service.... Has anyone else had any experience with this?

·
Administrator
10,080 Posts
I just spoke to someone who had a car transported from TX to MA. ($700.00) He had problems with the delivery in that they said it would go to his "door" and he ended up having to pick it up at a depot 50 miles from his house. Cost him another $100.00 for the additional tow. I guess that big compaines like to have a full trailer, then move them to a transfer depot and then to the customer.

I've been lucky in that I have not had to deal with a transport company. (Yet) I bought a car trailer a few years back. It has been a blessing/curse as I am now up to 6 Opels and just got a call on a $500.00 GT in RI. I am Waaay over the limit but I'll probably check it out 'cuz "Ya never know". (2 rusted GT's I bought real cheap ended up having a rebuilt engines.)

Hang in there Kristi. Things will work out and you will be cruising in your new baby soon.-

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Hi Kristi,

I used Able Auto just over a year ago to have a Kadett wagon that I purchased shipped from California to Pennsylvania. I called them on a Friday afternoon to get some information and called back later that same evening to contract their services. They picked up my car by 9:30 the next morning. I was quite impressed with how quickly they could arrange and schedule all of this. The seller of the Kadett emailed me to let me know they contacted him on Saturday morning and he told them it was ok to come right over. The car left California on Monday morning and was at my door by Friday afternoon. I did find out that they also sub contracted my car to an independent hauler. However, I did not mind as the service was quick and very professional. The car arrived in perfect condition and the driver was in contact with me throughout the whole ordeal. I would say the only hitch was trying to understand the driver since he was from Mexico and did not speak English very well. No big deal though. I did a lot of research prior to choosing Able Auto. I also chose them based on reputation and references, price and the fact that they are licensed, BONDED and they do not use your auto insurance as the primary insurer. Be aware that many transport companies DO use your insurance as the primary insurer. This means that if there is a problem, your insurance company pays first and theirs will cover anything over your insurers limit. Plus your rates will go up due to submiting a claim against your policy. All in all, I was very pleased with the service I received from Able Auto. For your reference, I paid them $710 to ship the car. Very reasonable.

Duane

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Duane, I sure wish I had your experience. I still have not heard ANYthing from anyone about my car. I have no idea if it got picked up or not nor when to expect it. I realize all the good points about Able (as I said I did my homework when picking someone) but so far the customer service has been horrible. I'm going to make one last call tonight and if I don't get some definite answers I am gonna be one scorned woman (as in hell hath no fury as..........)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just called my contact "Clif" at Nationwide. I asked him about the car. Now its tomorrow morning. Remember it was Wed morning at the latest.... yeah. Right. Apparently no one was going to call to let me know that.... I asked if he had called the seller. He said "oh its 9:30 I guess I'd better give him a call...." GRRRRRRRRRR. Soooo supposedly I will have my baby by Monday. Yeah... I'll hold my breath.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Transport companies rely on scheeduling to fill the racks. If they're low on cars, they will make you wait until they have a full load, unless...

you live in Detroit. Lot of car haulers based here; I've had little trouble getting cars back.

I always seem to have the best luck when I contact a bunch of firms (3-4) and go with the guys who respond first. They need the work; therefore they are most responsive.

Same's true with Opel parts - Sent out three inquiries; the first guy back got my business. I now have parts in hand even though I've yet to hear back from the other two.

OpelGTsource is IT!

·
257 Posts
I agree with chuckspeed on OGTS. I've done all my business with Gil. He is very professional and has a vast knowledge of Opel GT parts and repairs. AA++++ Sorry about all your trouble Kristi. Cancel the hauler, borrow a truck, rent a trailer and make a road trip...You'll enjoy that more......

Stanley_P

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stanley,

Believe me I thought about it, but I already paid the deposit and I can't get the time off work for a cross countrry road trip.. I'mjust hopin this gets going this time...

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Heck , I should have driven it back for you. I picked up my Dad's GT 10 years ago in Des Moines, Iowa, and drove it back to Hartford, CT in 23 hours. I never got to do the return trip! Averaged 29.2 mpg with a bad Solex by the way.....

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts