Opel GT Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Improper ball bearing size would be a problem that should be noted for anyone using stock rocker arms. So it’s good that you mentioned for those who stay stock.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Some news today on my restoration. The machine shop (Performance Plus here in Abq) called yesterday that my engine work was done. So today I went over after work to pick everything up. I got home and was emptying all my stuff into the garage when I realized I was missing the timing cover. And then it struck me, the shop probably forgot that the timing cover has to be decked with the block. So, I left the engine block in the vehicle and went back. Sure enough, they forgot. I didn't get mad or try to blame them, it's an easy mistake and unless the shop is used to working on Opel CIH engines they are likely to forget this. No many engines need the timing cover to be decked. They immediately said they would take care of it. The guy who did the work on my block said he'd get it done for me to pick it up tomorrow (Thursday). The shop did a good job so far though. The engine was beautifully cleaned after they put the block and head in a vat and oven. The shop bored my engine with the honing plate and fit the pistons for proper clearance, decked the block and decked the head. They also checked the mains and crank, ground and polished the crank journals for 0.010" over. Total cost was $674.22 for the work that was done. Wait time was roughly 5 weeks. I think it was a fair price for good work and good customer service. I visually checked the piston fit myself and they fit pretty snug. I don't have any measurements yet but I will when putting it together. I'll post pics once I get the block and timing cover back.

Question for the engine builders... how do you get stuck cam bearings out? Should I put the cylinder head in a freezer?

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Question for the engine builders... how do you get stuck cam bearings out? Should I put the cylinder head in a freezer?
They are driven out the same way they are driven in, which is with a camshaft bearing installation tool.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
A seasoned guy such as yourself probably already knows the order in how that’s done, this is the order I was advised on my build thread:

Two from the front the others from the rear.
Installation
#3 first then 2,1. flip head pop #4 in.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
A seasoned guy such as yourself probably already knows the order in how that’s done, this is the order I was advised on my build thread:

Two from the front the others from the rear.
Installation
#3 first then 2,1. flip head pop #4 in.
Actually I didn’t know that. So thanks for providing that info. I know a decent amount about the CIH but this is my first engine build. So, there will be things I’ll ask for input from people who have done them.

I know to replace the plugs in the head with threaded plugs. I know to replace the oil port plugs with threaded plugs. Now I know how to handle the cam bearings. I learned from the machine shop to just cut open viton seals with a dremel. I have the Kent Moore tools to install the crank seals. I’ll be replacing the rocker studs once I can get the old ones out with a stud extractor. I’ll check every oil galley I can. I know to de-burr sharp edges.

Bob, or anyone else, can you realistically do a valve job with a drill press? Or should cutting the valve seats be done with a machine built for it? I want to do as much as I can myself but I don’t know if this task is one you should handle on your own.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Here are some pics of the engine now that the machine shop is done. Timing cover is nice and clean too. I had thought my engine was a warranty replacement block because I never could see a serial number. Now that it’s clean I learned it does have a serial number. The machinist, Devin, told me that he took the absolute minimum off the block and head. This is why the erosion pitting from the coolant isn’t completely gone. I was more concerned with the impact on compression ratio and cam timing that decking the block and head could have.

Photograph Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Rim
Grey Font Automotive exterior Tints and shades Motor vehicle
Light Wood Auto part Automotive tire Font
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Vehicle Auto part
Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Font Engineering Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive design Tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Audio equipment Auto part Engineering Event Metal
Light Automotive tire Camera accessory Automotive design Auto part

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Bob, or anyone else, can you realistically do a valve job with a drill press? Or should cutting the valve seats be done with a machine built for it? I want to do as much as I can myself but I don’t know if this task is one you should handle on your own.
Old-school seat grinders center off an arbor that fits snugly in the valve guide. The grinding stones are ‘faced’ to true them up and to create the correct seat angles.

I’m not sure what you would use to cut the seats with a drill press.

On top of that, most home drill presses have considerable runout at the chuck.

As good as a valve job can be with a trained operator and proper grinding stone seat tool, there’s absolutely no comparison to a modern Serdi or Rottler CNC machine.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Thanks for the reply Bob. My curiosity had to ask but your reply is what I knew the answer would be. At least I already have a machine shop that I like to work with and I know they do valve jobs. I believe they have a Rottler CNC for it.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
For those of us that have no real working knowledge of engine building/rebuilding or any real future prospect of building such a master piece - this has been a very interesting thread discussing issues that mostly go right over my head but nontheless I still learned something new and enjoyed hearing about all of these important and related issues that I never had really considered. When it came time for a new/rebuilt engine I simply told Gil Wesson that I wanted an engine with a little more UMPH so that is how I ended up with a 2.0. Had I have been reading this thread 25 years ago I may have moved forward with a 2.4, who knows. Also glad that this kind of information is being cataloged for future generations of Opel lovers to review and use long after we are gone. Thanks.....

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Also glad that this kind of information is being cataloged for future generations of Opel lovers to review and use long after we are gone. Thanks.....
Charles Goin started a YouTube channel to cover various details of the CIH and how to build them.

Last night I bought a GoPro Hero 10 and a handful of accessories to start a vlog for this restoration project. I also finally determined what I want to name my YouTube channel for this, Zeppi's Garage. Zeppi is my nickname that I grew up with and it's what I've decided to brand custom parts I create with. So, it seemed right to use it for the channel. I don't have any content on the channel yet but that will change. Any videos I upload for the project, I'll post them here too.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Charles Goin started a YouTube channel to cover various details of the CIH and how to build them.

Last night I bought a GoPro Hero 10 and a handful of accessories to start a vlog for this restoration project. I also finally determined what I want to name my YouTube channel for this, Zeppi's Garage. Zeppi is my nickname that I grew up with and it's what I've decided to brand custom parts I create with. So, it seemed right to use it for the channel. I don't have any content on the channel yet but that will change. Any videos I upload for the project, I'll post them here too.
Wow! Gopro Hero 10 are awesome! I have a hero 7 black that I got from best buy about a year ago. It still works great. The chinese accesories on ebay are pretty good and really cheap I like using those. I was thinking about getting a hero 9 but those are still pricy. Good luck with your channel!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why are you planning on installing a roll bar in a street car?
Eric
Improved stiffness, improved side impact protection, provides for correct (safe) angle for shoulder harness,and....becuase we can! The problem with this install was that once the seats went in, nobody noticed; its almost invisible.

Attachments

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Gopro... accesories
Here is a fairly cheap GoPro stabilizer I learned about back when the creator was developing it. The guy who created this used the same resin 3D printer I have and he shared some of his progress on a FB group for people who use that printer. So, now that I have a GoPro on the way I bought one of these GravGrips. It's a neat product.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Improved stiffness, improved side impact protection, provides for correct (safe) angle for shoulder harness,and....becuase we can! The problem with this install was that once the seats went in, nobody noticed; its almost invisible.
I want to contour the roll bar to fit more along the B pillar and having horizontal support bars that arch back into the rear storage area, so you really won't see it that well from the outside. I'm thinking the horizontal support bar could be bolted in, so it can be removed. I want to create a roll bar that blends well into the interior, so it doesn't get in the way. We'll see how well I can pull that off when the time comes.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,071 Posts
Here is a fairly cheap GoPro stabilizer I learned about back when the creator was developing it. The guy who created this used the same resin 3D printer I have and he shared some of his progress on a FB group for people who use that printer. So, now that I have a GoPro on the way I bought one of these GravGrips. It's a neat product.

That is pretty cheap. I might have to get one.

·
1,778 Posts
Some news today on my restoration. The machine shop (Performance Plus here in Abq) called yesterday that my engine work was done. So today I went over after work to pick everything up. I got home and was emptying all my stuff into the garage when I realized I was missing the timing cover. And then it struck me, the shop probably forgot that the timing cover has to be decked with the block. So, I left the engine block in the vehicle and went back. Sure enough, they forgot. I didn't get mad or try to blame them, it's an easy mistake and unless the shop is used to working on Opel CIH engines they are likely to forget this. No many engines need the timing cover to be decked. They immediately said they would take care of it. The guy who did the work on my block said he'd get it done for me to pick it up tomorrow (Thursday). The shop did a good job so far though. The engine was beautifully cleaned after they put the block and head in a vat and oven. The shop bored my engine with the honing plate and fit the pistons for proper clearance, decked the block and decked the head. They also checked the mains and crank, ground and polished the crank journals for 0.010" over. Total cost was $674.22 for the work that was done. Wait time was roughly 5 weeks. I think it was a fair price for good work and good customer service. I visually checked the piston fit myself and they fit pretty snug. I don't have any measurements yet but I will when putting it together. I'll post pics once I get the block and timing cover back.

Opel cam bearings are numbed front to rear because they are smaller going to the rear. When you open the cam bearing box they are in order but if someone has opened the box or they fall out you can look at the number on the bearing and look on the box lid and you will match the number on the bearing to the correct position.
HTH
John

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Picture of how much the timing cover sticks up or not.....
All the machining on the block is done, so here are some photos. The ruler is by no means an exact straight edge but it does the job as far as a head gasket is concerned at the timing cover. The block was decked I believe 0.008”. Just enough for a fresh surface to be smooth enough for a MLS head gasket.

Light Bicycle part Tool Rim Composite material
Finger Bumper Rim Automotive design Thumb
Helmet Light Black Automotive tire Bicycle part

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
Just want to say thanks for all the piper cam links. I got me an adjustable sprocket and their fast road cam on order. I got the sprocket quickly. Cam will probably make it soon. OGTS was out of OR-66 but the piper cam looks like decent specs too just a hair less lift.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
Just want to say thanks for all the piper cam links. I got me an adjustable sprocket and their fast road cam on order. I got the sprocket quickly. Cam will probably make it soon. OGTS was out of OR-66 but the piper cam looks like decent specs too just a hair less lift.
Nice! Did you try ordering the cam directly from Isky? Supposedly they can still provide them. Did you order new lifters with your cam or did you already have a new set on hand? I have an OR-77 I need to sell as well. I'll post it soon for $250, I believe it's gently used but I can't tell from just looking at it. It looks new.

Oh, if the cam you bought is hydraulic I do have a new set of hydraulic lifters I could sell you. $120 plus shipping, and the $120 is what I paid Charles for them back in 2018. They have hardened contact surfaces if I remember.

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
I have parkerized resurfaced solid lifters that I sent in to OGTS they should do nicely. I’ve been told that the cam blanks ISKY has on hand are pretty poor quality, so I went elsewhere.

Reactions: Autoholic
121 - 140 of 149 Posts