Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Opeler
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know the shifter linkage on the Manta AT is on the drivers side and the GT linkage on the passenger side. I have changed the shaft seal twice and this thing still leaks bad. Further inspection appears to show gouging on the shifter shaft which I assume is from the PO trying to get the seal out with God knows what hammer and chisel! Ok, probably used a screwdriver and hammer but I'm thinking this is the issue. I have an AT from a Manta but the linkage is on the drivers side. From what I can tell everything else is identical between the two. So my question is can the shifter shaft be flipped 180 degrees to work in the GT? Anyone take one of these apart?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,674 Posts
I took one of my spare trannies apar to get a part for Lowkey and I observed the gear selector shaft. It certainly looked to me that the shaft could be flipped 180* to make it work in a Manta. To me, it makes sense that GM or Aisin Warner or whoever would design that rod to simply and easily be flipped around to configure it for other cars. Alas, I got rid of my spare trannies and never experimented to verify this.

·
Opel Key Master
5,463 Posts
If I recall correctly the Kadett and Manta shaft is short, as the GT extends across the transmission body to work off the other side. A solid plug is used on the GT side, but I believe it to be removable. So you will have to remove one from a GT, and install it in the Manta. The selector blade I’ll call it just had a short shaft attached, where the GT goes across so its 3” compared to 12”. Everything else should work

·
Opeler
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Keith and Gordo. But it is the GT AT shaft that needs repair or replaced. The transmission seems to work perfectly other than the bad leak. I really have no idea what the condition of the spare Manta AT is. That's the one I pulled from Charles Manta recently. So it sounds like to fix my GT AT I either need to repair the gouged shaft or find another one?

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Opeler
750 Posts
Mike,

If you end up needing a shifter shaft for a TH180 from a GT, let me know. I have two complete. You're welcome to the part...

David

·
Opeler
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks David! I plan to get a closer look at the tranny and offending area this weekend. I might go ahead and pull the tranny and get it over with but this leak is got to get fixed! Will report back hopefully with pictures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m sort of embarrassed for posting this, but on my 4-spd there was some rust pitting on the cross shaft right where it comes thru the shaft seal and therefore a rather significant leak. I ended up cleaning it thoroughly with brake cleaner and using some JB Weld as a filler. I sanded it down to the surface with various grades of sandpaper. It’s not structural, just makes a uniform surface and it really seemed to do the trick. You might get away with a similar approach. If you have raised gouges etc you’ll need to sand or file them down first.

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

Water Fluid Liquid Asphalt Road surface

Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Material property Synthetic rubber Electric blue

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Opeler
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bolbers, nice repair and nothing to be embarrassed about! All us Opel guys are looking for the most cost effective, quickest way to make repairs. It the JB weld is holding and it's not leaking then I say you did an awesome job!.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
1970 gt
16 Posts
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Line

If I recall correctly the Kadett and Manta shaft is short, as the GT extends across the transmission body to work off the other side. A solid plug is used on the GT side, but I believe it to be removable. So you will have to remove one from a GT, and install it in the Manta. The selector blade I’ll call it just had a short shaft attached, where the GT goes across so its 3” compared to 12”. Everything else should work
Hope this pic helps

·
Opel Key Master
5,463 Posts
I JB Welded it, it held it! The seals don’t see much wear, but I don’t know how those shafts get pitted in the first place. I mean if you get the shaft out, it could be cleaned up and maybe lightly welded up and then machined

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
The pitting is caused by moisture, even condensation can accumulate and sit for a long time, so an unheated garage may not even protect it as years go by.

·
Opeler
750 Posts
Mike, is there a way to remove the shaft without pulling the transmission out of the car? Wondering if it could be tilted downward by removing the crossmember and loosening motor mounts? Would have to be careful of radiator and fan assembly.

Would this give you enough clearance to remove the shaft? Just a thought...

·
Opeler
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike, is there a way to remove the shaft without pulling the transmission out of the car? Wondering if it could be tilted downward by removing the crossmember and loosening motor mounts? Would have to be careful of radiator and fan assembly.

Would this give you enough clearance to remove the shaft? Just a thought...
Great question and perhaps so. I'm so tired of crawling under the car so a 4-post lift is on my shopping list! Anyway I'm going to try that approach tomorrow hopefully. I'll post some pictures as I progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts