Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question. Is the axle filler plug on top of the axle shaft on the passenger side? That is the only thing that looks like it could be a filler hole.
Thanks

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see any big plug on top of the differential. Is it supposed to be visible from the front or rear?
:banghead:

·
Non Civilian
2,088 Posts
from the rear, you should need to use an allen wrench to remove it

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Look closely at the big cover on the rear of the differential. The plug is about 3/4" in diameter, has a hole in it where an allen wrench would go into it. Maybe yours is covered in grunge and yuck, you'll need to scrape around with a screwdriver to find it. It could be hiding in front of the panhard bar. But it has to be there somewhere!

·
Super Moderator
13,695 Posts
At the right of this photo, you can see the filler hole on the differential cover. About halfway up the cover. Differential cover

As Jeff has said, it may simply be obscured with gunk and dirt, and there's the possibility the panhard bar is hiding it from your view as well.

Bob

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
At the right of this photo, you can see the filler hole on the differential cover. About halfway up the cover. Differential cover

As Jeff has said, it may simply be obscured with gunk and dirt, and there's the possibility the panhard bar is hiding it from your view as well.

Bob
Anybody else see faces in that diff cover? SCARY! :haha:

·
Administrator
10,114 Posts
Anybody else see faces in that diff cover? SCARY! :haha:
Yep, Todd, I see it. Guess that makes us both crazy.....:banghead:
Could be a lost relic.
Haven't y'all heard of the "Differential Shroud of Torino?"
-Jonzo:haha:
It has an uncanny resemblance to the Patron Saint of C.I.H. --- RallyBob!

I can see the masses flocking to the hills of CT hoping for a glimpse.

·
Super Moderator
13,695 Posts
It has an uncanny resemblance to the Patron Saint of C.I.H. --- RallyBob!

I can see the masses flocking to the hills of CT hoping for a glimpse.
:hijacked: Alright you guys, you've had your fun!:moon:

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prayers answered

Ok, after lighting a few candles to the patron saint of the CIH, low and behold, there is a big plug that takes a big allen wrench to undo.

Thanks guys.

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, it wasn't all gunked up. I was looking too far up. I thought that the plug that was easy to see was too far down the cover to be a filler plug. It doesn't seem like you would get much fluid in using that one, but if that's how it's supposed to work, who am I to question the German engineers?

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Dan,

The location of the plug in the cover is at the "Full" level. This way you add gear oil until the level comes up to the bottom of the hole, now its full. This makes it easy to check the level during routine inspections as well. Remove plug, if you can touch the oil level with the tip of your pinky finger, there's plenty in there. Same is true for the filler plug on the side of the 4-speed tranny.

hth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts