Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as some of you may know, I have a pretty bad case of essential tremors. What is that , most current response. It is where you hand shake and there isn't any way to control it. Well I finally found the solution, DBS: (Deep Brain Stimulator). The doctor I have has been doing this for years. It consists of wires that carry an electrical charge to the brain area that controls the movement of the hands. I had a "communicator" put in my chest, then the wires connected to the "communicator" and the bottom part of the brain. One wire for each side. After the operation every thing was going great, no more tremors. Then about three weeks after the operation all of the implants became infected. I don't remember any thing from the 1st of May until I woke up in St. Mary's Hospital in Reno on May third. I was then transferred to a rehab facility from May third to June third. I was in quarantine for the first 14 days then had the run of the facility until I went to see my doctor on May 26th. When I came back it was quarantine for another 14 days because of the virus going around.

I have been home for three days now. There is no place like home. Got several things done, but it came with the tremors back. I go in on July 8th for a CAT scan to determine if the antibodies did their job. If they did, I will be scheduled for another DBS, hopefully without the infection.

The outside "controller" is just like a phone, in fact it made by Samsung and look exactly like a cell phone. The problem is it is not a phone, but a way to control the tremors with more or less electrical current.

I know this time it will be a success. If anyone on the forum has tremors I can guide them to a solution that is wonderful and does not wear out.

Bob (the Fallon Guy) 馃槃

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am going to think positive, so I am going to know it works. I just keep saying "no more infections".
Bob

Registered
Wow, Bob... glad you're OK! Brain infections are scary stuff for sure! My girlfriend had brain surgery a year ago last month, and that was our big worry with her. Fortunately, it didn't happen.

I also have essential tremor. I've had a slight amount of tremor since my 20s, but now that I'm 65 it's really starting to become an issue. I only write with a pen or pencil when I have to, as it's painfully slow for me to write so someone can read it. I often have my girlfriend write checks for me these days. When I get excited, I can barely type as well, especially on a tiny cell-phone keyboard. Today I was doing some plumbing work under the bathroom sink, and my wrench was banging so hard against the porcelain sink I was afraid I was going to crack it! For the most part though, for me it's still just a nuisance and doesn't stop me from doing anything I used to do. Well, I did used to climb communication towers as part of my job, so I'm glad I don't have to do that any longer!

My dad has Parkinson's, and my aunt also had essential tremor. Apparently, some link is suspected between Parkinsons and ET, but it's not proven. I know that DBS is used to treat Parkinsons too, but due to my dad's age (97) he's considered too old for the surgery.

My tremor will have to get so bad that I can't function before I would consider DBS, but who knows... that may happen yet.

In any case, I wish you the very best of success with your next operation.

Reactions: tealcarver

Registered
It consists of wires that carry an electrical charge to the brain area that controls the movement of the hands. I had a "communicator" put in my chest, then the wires connected to the "communicator" and the bottom part of the brain.
So you're saying you're a cyborg now?

Cool. Did you get the red laser in one eye socket or is that scheduled for followup procedures?

Registered
Bob, sending best thoughts, wishes and old fashioned prayers to get this thing under wraps & control towards your way.
Mike

Registered
Bob, I have several customers whom suffer from the same thing. And for some of them common simple everyday tasks we take for granted is a real chore like taking a drink from a glass. One of my customers has it so bad even using two hands they had to switch to plastic cups and silver ware. Seeing it first hand I understand how difficult it must be. I hope your next procedure is infection free and a great success. Your a brave soul to try it again after the complications of the first try. But I get that if there is no other promising outcome than this road than you have to do what you have to do.
Good Luck and we'll talk to you soon

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Terry, Mike, Matt, and Zippy: Thanks for the well wishes, the tremors are as bad as I remember. I can't do anything with my hands that requires any precision. I guess for the three weeks I got to use the DBS, and it was a God send. For the two and a half weeks before the infection I got to perform things that other human beings take for granted. That is the main reason I am going to try it again. The doctor guaranteed that the infection was going to be a thing of the past, I am sure they will be successful this time. For any one that has tremors or Parkinson's, the benefit outweighs the chances of an infection. My doctor said that this was his first case of having to start over from square one. Thanks again guys, I aa[[appreciate you're kind words.

Bob

Registered
Good luck Bob, best wishes for a success and a smooth recovery this time.

boomerang opeler
Will you be able to jump start a car? could be a great job helping out our members.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Zippy, you should look into the DBS. 65 means you are probably on Medicare. Just purchase the supplemental insurance,until you have the operation. Being over 65 does have some advantages. Just cancel the supplemental insurance after everything is done. The Medicare and supplemental insurance paid for my operation and the month long stay at the Rehab and the cost of my infusions. I can't do anything that involves anything to do with my hands. Like I said before, I had about two and a half weeks before the infection got the best of me, no shaking at all, can I was able to do just about anything. That alone gave me the will to do it all again.

Bob

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Baz, it would be easy enough to do , and I think I could do it easily after the operation.

Bob

Opeler
Glad you are back and doing better Bob! Take care of yourself and good on on the next cyborg conversion step! I opted for the yellow laser eye to match my car! Seriously best wishes to you!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks v6Opel and JudokaJohn

guys, I am going in for an MRI on Friday, I hate MRI's. I have to have a Valium or be put all the way out. I think the Valium is fine, don't need anything else. The MRI will show the infection or a clean slate. I am hoping for the clean slate. I already had 144 infusions with antibiotics, I'm sick of that too.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts