Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Opeler
521 Posts
I, too, am glad it went well and you are on the mend. I would try and walk a lot, if that's allowed. It will kill an hour or so, and help you feel better. Our bodies need to move as much as possible. Sounds like you've got this!

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
JudokaJohn. I think your right, the doctor didn't say anything about walking so I will give it a try.

Bob

·
Registered
600 Posts
The time you take to heal will result in a faster recovery.
Obvious "not a doctor" and "all situations are different" disclaimer here...

A counter-intuitive thing I've heard is that the medical opinion has been changing on time off after some injuries. The current logic is, as fast as possible, start using the limb again. As in, if the surgery gets done before 2pm, they'll squeeze you in for a physio that same day if they can so you're using it.

You'd think that "taking it easy and let it heal" is best, but, apparently "use it so your body doesn't forget its there, and uses its resources to repair it" is the new paradigm.

Again, this is obviously situation-specific, there are probably many categories where it's best to not stress it. Point being that used to be universal, and is becoming more limited.

Listen to your doctor, naturally.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I feel like I can do a lot more than I am doing, but I am going to do what the doctor says. I have a long list from him, but most of it is redoing the house with hand rails so I don't fall. It would take a few hundred dollars and lifting more than 10 pounds., so I would have to hire some to put them up. I don't think I am going to do that. They must think I am made of money. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it.

Bob

·
Opeler
521 Posts
When I had my back surgery, I went home the same day. My restrictions were: no bending, twisting or lifting more than 10 lbs for 2 weeks. However, my doctor explicitly said: "This doesn't mean you should be laying around all day. Walk as much as you can, be active within your restrictions". So, I walked 3-5 miles on the treadmill every day. I healed fast. After 2 weeks, he told me I could begin weight lifting lightly.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Back surgery never sounds good. All the people I know that had problems, still had problems after the surgery. Not quite as bad, but also not too good. I guess it depends on the doctor, sounds like JudokaJohn had a good doctor, and the will to get it done right. I hope I have the same thing.

Bob

·
Registered
888 Posts
Obvious "not a doctor" and "all situations are different" disclaimer here...

A counter-intuitive thing I've heard is that the medical opinion has been changing on time off after some injuries. The current logic is, as fast as possible, start using the limb again. As in, if the surgery gets done before 2pm, they'll squeeze you in for a physio that same day if they can so you're using it.

You'd think that "taking it easy and let it heal" is best, but, apparently "use it so your body doesn't forget its there, and uses its resources to repair it" is the new paradigm.

Again, this is obviously situation-specific, there are probably many categories where it's best to not stress it. Point being that used to be universal, and is becoming more limited.

Listen to your doctor, naturally.
Absolutely correct. Not a doctor, just an old guy who has watched many people go through different surgeries over time. I've just seen too many people re-injure themselves and find that your chances of a full recovery are now reduced. My experience and my observations. I'm not talking about prescribed physical therapy, but stuff like my brother did who just had has shoulder muscle reattached three weeks ago and was out mowing the lawn with the push mower last week because he couldn't drive the lawn tractor with one arm. And wouldn't you know that since he hadn't used it in years it didn't start on the first pull, or second or third. In fact, the choke was stuck so he had to rebuild the carb. It starts with one pull now. I guess maybe you can pull-start a motor without the other arm having to counter balance or anything but to me it wasn't worth the risk to get a little walking in. Not that I was perfect during my recovery. I remember being frustrated seeing our hanging plants wilting from lack of water so I headed out with my wheeled-walker to take care of it. Wheeled-walkers don't go so well over the lawn but I made it around the back of the house to fill the watering can from the rain barrel and then made it back to the front to water the hanging plants almost going down once but I got it done although wet. it was a foolish risk and I never tried that again. ,

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Went in to the doctor, had the staples removed from my head and chest, I was told everything looked good, no infections. That was great news for me. Now all I have to do is see my other doctor and get the settings put on the controller, then look out, I will be 21 again.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
JudokaJohn, yes it is cool beans, I go to see the other doctor on October 5, that happens to be one day before my 74th birthday. Never thought I would live that long. Must have something to do with Opels.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,026 Posts
Maybe you can get a performance chip for the device. Download dance moves and Kung Fu!

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yeah, I have all kinds of options now. I guess I will have to wait until the other doctor shows me what is available. Hope it's something to do with Opels, that will make me happy for sure.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Matt: the possibilities are endless. There is just one thing, I am hoping that Opel is in one of the possibilities. Not working on it, but driving the darn thing.

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
That's good news Bob :) glad to hear you are getting closer to getting back to Opel business

Reactions: tealcarver

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks Dan, looks like everything will turn for the good. Maybe next year you can make your trip, my offer is good, no matter when you can make it.

Bob

61 - 78 of 78 Posts