Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay...i was around a little back last summer and late spring last year. I own two Opels...one of which is a parts car, the other is my running car. Since i first inherted the car i have done several modifications to the vehical...such as the weber carb, new exhaust, automatic to 4 speed (used tranny from parts car) and several other things. the car has no rust, just bad paint...it has only 96000 original miles on the car. Well...because the car had some problems such as kept being vandalized by kids who didn't like me or my car, constant breakdowns, overheating, and other minor things that seem to cost a fortune (a alignment for $40 will cost me over 200 because all the bearings and stuff are pretty much shot.

anyway...i bought a honda crx. i'm not a ricer, the car is stock looking but lowered and about 3 weeks ago i finished my 3 month motor swap...it was pretty damn fast. about 1 week ago...the car was vandalized. i plan on fixing it and selling it, and going back to the Opel.

There are many things i want to do to the Opel...for one thing it grinds in 3rd. I'm probebly going to end up putting the Getrag 5 speed in...my first basically is...from the gtsource, they have the getrag for 600 with the tranny alone, and the tranny plus other parts for 1200....why is there such a price difference? would any parts from the 4 speed work?

The cars differential is starting to go bad...it clunks ever so slightly whenever i change gears...how much would it cost to get that fixed?

My headlights used to work great...then one broke and when i turned on my lights i had to get out to lock it in place...now neither will flip over properly, and when i turn it by hand it doesnt lock in place...so now i can't drive at night...what should i do to fix this?

I HATE the rims...i hate em. i want to change them to 15s....but the rims on the opel gtsource....500 a rim? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...don't make me laugh. I have hook ups down in sacromento, but i need to know what sort of rim i will need...i heard only late 80's 3 series rim sizes will work...or something like that...and i remember gil at the source telling me they have an adapter so honda rims will work...but the adapter is like $60 a rim (going from memory...its been a long time since i asked him) what should i do about this?

The intirior is starting to fall apart...i need new seat belts, new visor, new everything...the trim is just getting old and crusty. suggestions?

and finally the motor...oh dear LORD....after moving from my motor swaped crx to the Opel...i couldn't STAND the slowness of the car...i mean...it will be fine to get me back and forth...but lets be honest here...i'm going INSANE from the slowness. :p i have the parts car motor already on stands...ready to be built up...but i'm debating what would be more worth while...building up the 1.9, buying the 2.2 (i don't want the 2.4 due to the fact i don't want to cut up the inside of the car) or buying that deal that the source has where one can buy the 2.0 motor with 5 speed tranny, new clutch, fuel injection, and all the parts needed to do the swap to get 150hp under the hood for $3900. or hell even go the rotary route or something...

anyway...these are all the major gripes i'm coming to with...and there is much more. i just don't know where to begin...i dont have a lot of money...but should get some after i fix up the crx and sell it...i have a digital camera too, so if anyone wants to see pictures of my baby then let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry....i'm just really eager to fix it. someone list the exact specifications for the rims for me so i can give it to my hookups at my local performance shops. as you can see i need a paintjob...but i don't want to atempt it until i get myself the body kit to make the car look a lot slicker. but i was thinking about it...and having the car go faster is more important. the motor i have in it has only 98k original miles...cause it has been sitting for 10 years...but even so it seems like a tired motor. would it be worthwhile to buy the 2.0L non rebuilt motor from Gil for $800 and fix it up myself? or should i just buy the rebuilt one. see, i want speed...but i'm not a speed freak...i just can't have it nausiatingly slow...and i want a motor that will drop in easily with some decent hp gains. the rotary will take too much time and money, and i dont want to bother with any chevy motor because i don't want to lose the cars streetability. I also NEED to either fix my tranny or just save up for the getrag 5 speed...but for 1200 for a tranny seems rediculous...what else is included in the 1200 over the 600 one?
oh yea...i have another 1.9L motor from my parts car. i COULD rebuild that one with some performance parts etc and drop it right in my car with little to no problems...but i'm not sure how much of a power increase i will get out of that (though it will certainly be a LOT cheaper and a LOT easier to do the swap.

In fact...if someone could suggest what i could do to my extra 1970 1.9L motor so i can get some decent power gains that would be great.

oh and one more thing...i drive a 72...before i have to smog it....should i just take out all that smog equipment? and do i need to add lead additive because its a older motor or what?

thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Just FYI, pre-1985 European Opel heads did NOT have hardened seats. I have had late '70's/early '80's 2.0 heads and even a 1984 2.2 head (first year for the 2.2) and they all had soft iron seats. In 1985 they started using hardened seats, as it took longer for unleaded fuel to be introduced in Europe than over here.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its still the original motor...sigh...i think my valves are starting to go bad...maybe from not running with the lead or something. oh well.

I guess i will rebuilt my spare 1.9L
what parts should i get to make it as fast as possible...dont go crazy here...but should i just get the performance stuff they have available at ogts or is there other alternatives? i know that rebuilding my spare will be cheaper then buying a rebuilt 2.0.
not to mention i need a new tranny too so i have to save up for that.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
First off,
rebuild your current extra motor. Buying parts to build a 2.0L from ogts will be nearly as expensive as constructing the 2.4L motor that Bob Designed. So weigh your options

as for the rear end look on the omc message boards there is bound to be a rear end somewhere in california, if not take a drive down to OU and get one. I wouldent recommend swaping out for some other kind of rear end(too much work) just stick to the opel rear end.

For the tranny, if you really must have the 5 speed, then save your money, it is $1200 for a reason. 1st off gil isnt doing this for his health, he is running a buisness. Secondly it is a very compleate kit, and NO none of your 4 speed parts will work in the conversion other than the clutch. His kit comes with the linkage driveshaft, mount, and everything else that is needed, and all of the parts are of high quality.
If that is too much money for you just find a good used 4 speed, they can be had for about $50, just swap one in.

For the wheels you need a 4x100 pattern with +20 offset. Check out the roh snyper, the hockinghiem R, and I think there is one other one, I will get back to you. BTW the wheels that I have found are never more than $150 a piece new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts