Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get my car ready for inspection. I am down to three item not working. I believe the horn will be fixed when I find the small connector on the end of the brown wire. Headlights, I am still clueless. Now the last is the back up light. I have traced the wires through the car to the dash where they seem to go underneath the car and back up through the shifter (automatic) Could it be they are not attached in the shifter someone and I need to pop off the center console? Also there are black/red wires coming out of the same bunch of wires under the car, and they are just hanging there. PO really did a job. Not sure what is what on some parts of this car. Has A/C not hooked up and some of these wires could of been for that. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
If you could take some pictures, it would help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the wiring diagram I notice the back-up switch. Where is this located? Maybe that would make this easier. I will try to take some pictures and scan them. I dont have a digital camera.

Thanks Jen

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Jen;
It depends on the year of the trans, which could have been swapped any number of times, but, there are 2 back up switches.
1) on the side of the trans, there would be a small bow attached to the side and it would be activated by the cross shaft on the trans.
2) on the back side of the trans where the tail shaft cover bolts to the main body of the trans, there is a clyndrical object with 2 terminals coming out of it, this is the back-up switch.
----- or -----
If you have an auto trans, it will be located on the shifter assembly itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On a '73 GT w/ Automatic, the BU light switch IS located at the shifter. Also, the ignition lockout is there, so the car won't start unless it's in park.

I converted mine to manual and had to rewire this (mess).

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Jen,

Allen and I went through something like this with his 72 GT (manual transmission). In fact, it kept this car from Carlisle last year. That backup light, the horn and the wipers are on the same fuse. The wiring on the backup light switch on the transmission was worn and oily (dirty oil conducts electricity). Everytime he would put the car in reverse it would blow out the fuse and we would lose the horn and wipers.

Right now the backup switch is disconnected (did clean up the wires and recoat them). If anyone has a good backup switch they would like to sell, we would be interested.

Hope this helps--could it be your horn problem too?

Vickie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got into the console to look at the shifter. I have six wires coming through the floor of the car to the shifter. 2 black and white, 2 red and black, 1 brown and white, and 1 gray

Black and white goes to black and white at dash and to fuse box
Black and white goes to purple at dash and to fuse box
Both red and black are hanging under car unattached
Brown and white goes to emergency brake and up through dash
Gray goes to light up shifter??? and ground wires

Do these all sound right? I dont see the switch that shows black white going in and purple coming out. The only connection with these two colors is by the dash and the are hooked together male and female.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yippeeeee

Well I found the switch, did some checking, cleaning and light is on now. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Getting close to being ready.

:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the back up light is dead now. It would work on and off, but now I can't get it to come on. Think it is the back up switch.

Anyone have one lying around?? Or know if I can get one somewhere? I have an automatic if that matters.

Jennifer

·
Opeler
53 Posts
Generally, switches are a reliable and can be checked easily with a test light or multimeter. Disconnect the wires on the switch and hook up the tester to the terminals. Work the gearshift several times to determine if the circuit is making and breaking. If the switch is good, check the light bulb. If that is good, maybe the reason your wires were hanging (as mine were) is that they have insulation problems and the bare wires are fused together. Replacing the bad portions of the wire solved that problem on the FrankenOpel. Don't you just love it when amateurs muck around with the wiring?

Bill and the FrankenOpel
The first rule of rewiring - rip it out and start over.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Disconnect soldered wires?? The only "switch" in the shifter has four wires going to it. Two white/black, two red/black and they are soldered on. I tried to test the wires at their connections and it kept blowing the fuse.

I don't know, sometimes with this car I feel like a complete idiot.

But, I love it.

Jennifer

·
1,973 Posts
well I found out why my reverse light didn't work, nothing was touching the switch. I dont think that the switch bracket is bent or anything, so I cant tell where it needs to be re-adjusted to in proportion to the reverse lever on the transmission (which I assume is what triggers the switch) in the picture the car is in reverse

Attachments

·
1,973 Posts
well at least I found out that the reverse light switch and wiring works, and also the front left turning signal fixed itself, and that hasnt worked since I took the car apart to paint and it decided to mysteriousily work. these were the only things keeping it from passing inspection.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
never seen a backup switch like yours jordan, only seen the cylindrical shaped ones with 2 male electrical connections on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
never seen a backup switch like yours jordan, only seen the cylindrical shaped ones with 2 male electrical connections on it.
Jordan has the "early" transmission (pre-'71) , with the external reverse light switch, and it will also have the speedo drive on the opposite side of the later version, with a right angle gear drive between the tranny and the speedo cable.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
early 4 speed reverse switch

thought I'd tack this on here:
My reverse switch ('70 4 speed) is like Jordan's. It was loose and the linkage wasn't bumping into it when going into reverse. Jacked up car, crawled down there, found the switch, for the record, it is a little box thing with two wires. One end is held on with a rivet the other is small slot head screw going through a slotted hole to allow some pivot, I guess you swing the switch so the linkage will hit it when you put the stick into reverse. Mine was totally loose. I swung it up close to the linkage and tightened up the screw. She lights up:yup:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
back up light. I was digging into parts and found a pair of back up lights. Sylvania part number 6411.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts