Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, more?s on the timing. I put the #1 piston at TDC and when I looked at the distributor with the cap off, the hash mark on the rotor is about 7 or 8 mm past the hashmark on the distributor housing clockwise. I have the car idling well and accelerating well, but when I decelerate it has little backfire noises in the exhaust. Do you think the backfires are because its retarded, or advanced, and wich way should should i turn it to cure it, clock or counter clock. Thanks all.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
What kind of exhaust do you have? If you have a stock exhaust in good shape and you are making that noise, then it is either a timing or a mixture issue. Any exhaust that is free-er flowing will have a little bit of popping on downshifts and throttle lifts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if its just a cackle and pop out the exhaust no worries, but if its backfires sounding like the neighbors shotgun then worry. you said no muffler just rear resignator right? my car does the same thing, sounds pretty good in my own opinion, and i'm sure many others out here have the cackle on the drop of RPMs.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
yeeper.. i have a stock exhaust.. and it pops every now and then(not very loud).. and it crackles when you push the clutch in..(letting off the gas while going down the road)...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts