Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '73 GT (1.9-auto-Weber32/36) suddenly developed a bad bucking/stalling problem when the brakes are applied. It runs normally otherwise. I checked the vacuum line at the booster and manifold side, but the connections appear good. The hose is pretty new, and doesn't appear to be cracked or brittle at all. Does this mean that I need a new booster? Also, I noticed that the check valve that I saw in some posts here is missing. Could this contribute to the problem. Is there any way to test the booster before I shell out for a rebuilt one?
Thanks, Ron

(BTW- I am relatively new to "Opeling" Thanks to this web site, and those who run it, for giving me an accelerated education on keeping these little gems on the road :D )

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i would first try to get a checkvalve from a local autoparts store, and just put it in near the manifold. be sure to put it on right, i forget which way it goes, another member will be able to tell you for sure. if the hose and connections are good and it still persists with a checkvalve, then i'd get a booster. i'm not sure how to check them, i'm sure theres someway you can check them for vacuum to see if it bleeds off or not.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Plug the hose after disconnecting it from the booster- start engine. If it doesn't stall when you hit the brake, reconnect the hose to the booster, start engine and hit the brake. If it stalls or runs real rough then 90% sure you got a bad booster. I got a couple sitting in the shop if you find you need one.

·
Vendor
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Texas Tom,
The car runs fine when I remove the vacuum hose at the booster side
and plug it (applying the brakes has no effect) Looks like I'm in the BB market.
Send me a PM if you have one for sale.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kadett booster

Speaking of brake booster issues, I have the same problem with my 1968 Kadett. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a booster? I tried a couple of rebuild places here in Michigan and I've been told they can't get parts anymore. What do you think???????

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i know the kadett and GT share alot of the same common parts. would a brake booster be one of these parts? if so i can help you out, i'm a local michigan fellow too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure if the Kadett and GT would have the same booster or not. I'm new to "Opeling" and am not yet up to speed on how interchangable the parts are. Can anyone else answer this question?

I just spoke to a guy here in Michigan who is going to scrap 10 GT's. He said he'd be able to hook me up with just about anything I needed. If anyone is interested, I can call him back and get permission to give out his contact information.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'd be interested, where in MI is he? my GT stock is getting low and i'm looking for a high comp engine. i'd be interested in all i could take away, which would be how many GTs will dad let me get?

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
brake booster master cylinder set???

I have a bad check valve, hose, booster and master cylinder.... come to find out nothing wrong with the carb.. I think this place sell them as a set..(master and booster).. im still saving for it, but its not a bad price at 150... I've tried emailing them to ask if its a set, yet no reponse. if they are a set then this is the place to buy... just my 2 cents...
heres the link.. but ya gotta fill in some stuff.. year, model,make etc.. and look under master cylinder... http://webepc.wrencheadpro.com/cgi-bin/sewse?/u/www/webepc.com/cmm/scripts/epc10.cmm+global41

·
Registered
4 Posts
Billy- Thanks for the info. I've got a contact here in Michigan that's got a bunch of GT parts. I'll try to get contact info for you.

Jared- This guy is in Middleville. I spoke with him yesterday and I'm headed there today to grab a brake booster. I called a couple of parts dealers and they told me, based on the info in their book, it's the same booster for the Kadett and the GT but a different master cylinder. I'll find out if he wants his contact info given out. If so, I'll post it later today.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
thanks shovel, maybe we could still get a small get together this fall.......ehh probably not i'm assuming i'm the only one still driving a opel this late int he year, i bet we could get something together for the spring, i'm going to organize a caravan to frankenmuth in may hopefully, so long as its not the same time as carlisle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jared - I don't even have the Kadett on the road yet. Just picked it up but I'll be ready to go by spring for sure. Let me know.

Here's the info for the guy in Middleville with the GT parts.
His name is Pat Lewis, his ph. # is (269)795-7201.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
I had my booster rebuilt by a place called Vanco in California. About $120.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i didnt get the title for my truck until tonight and so i can't get it legal till monday after school, that just leaves one problem. its supposed to snow sunday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my GT will never see snow and i swear to it. snow is the only reason i shouldnt be driving my GT.

·
239 Posts
Brake boosters

Good luck in finding a brake booster, I just bought the last rebuild that Opel GT Source had after waiting about 3 months! OGTS sells them for $180 + 35.00 for the core. My brakes seemed to be working fine until one day the pedal went to the floor, it was then I noticed that the master cylinder reservoir was empty. After inspecting for leaks and none found I refilled the master and called OGTS, they were out of boosters but sold me a rebuilt master wich I installed. when I installed the master I found what I expected that the booster was full of brake fluid, hence the diafram has a hole and is leaking causing the fluid to be sucked around the seals in the master until it fills the booster. I have now R&R'd the booster and all is well so far, funny that there is no noticeable change in pedal pressure however! The stalling when the brake pedal is applied sounds like a vacuum leak via the hose or brake booster to me.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
i need a used booster!!

I got a new master cylinder.(its on its way) hopefully the company wont have to send my money back, saying they dont have anymore... well I really really need a brake booster for a 71 gt 1.9L. I has to be in perfect working order. and be ready to have a master cylinder bolted up to it and be installed. Pm me if ya got one your willing to sell.....

·
1,875 Posts
I've just begun to get the 1.1 Kadett running and to move under it's own power. I had it in the driveway yesterday and noticed that when I applied the brakes the idle became rough almost to the point of dieing out. I would think that if the vacuum leak were in the line itself to the booster or check valve related, that the rough idle would be steady and not just when the brakes are applied, correct?
I have sent an e-mail to Brakeco mentioned in a previous comment on this thread to see if they can do a rebuild. Doesn't look like OGTS still has boosters for the 1.1.
Any other sources anyone knows of? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts