Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Good morning.

I need some advice and maybe leads. I had my 1970 Opel GT fully restored by a shop in Tennessee. (Body sandblasted, rusted metal removed, new metal welded in, rebuilt engine, full rewire, interior replaced and ...)( At a cost of $$$$), It took 20 months to complete and was delivered to me in North Carlonia, June 2021.

I’ve been fighting one problem after another. Here's a few repairs:
  1. Carburetor heat saturation. _ Repaired with a heat shield and cold air intake.
  2. Gas pump leak - Repaired with electric gas pump install, wiring and inertia switch.
  3. Gas fumes in the cabin. - Repaired with vapor line replacement and carbon filter install.
  4. Gas tank bottom discharge fitting leak. - Repaired by replacing the 5/16 hose clamp fitting with a compression fitting.
  5. Gas tank trash - Repaired with Renu tank service. (Tank baked, cleaned coated and NPT fitting welded in.
  6. Leaking rear end seal drive side - Repaired with seal replacement.
  7. Front brake noise. - Repaired with new rotors and bearing grease packing.
  8. Gas gauge not working - Replaced fuel sending unit and corrected ground wiring to tank.
  9. Exhaust mid muffler weld brake. - Replaced muffler.
  10. Doors not aligned. required lifting the door handle when closing. - Repaired by realigning.
  11. Turn signals intermittent operation. – Replaced all with LEDs and load resistors.
  12. Cabin road noise. - Repaired with Kilmat install from luggage space to rear lighting. (More needed)
  13. USB charging port fell apart - Repaired by removing port and returning to cigarette lighter.
Here's a few open items I need your help with: (Part sources and/or service providers)
  1. Headliner falls when driving with the windows down. - I can get this from Opel GT source.
  2. Instrument panel crack. - I can get this from Suselbeek.
  3. Engine leaking.
  4. Transmission leaking at speedometer cable fitting.
Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Please see pictures attached.

Transmition speed cable leak.
Hood Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Engine leak
Ingredient Rectangle Cuisine Dish Chemical compound

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All,

Good morning.

I need some advice and maybe leads. I had my 1970 Opel GT fully restored by a shop in Tennessee. (Body sandblasted, rusted metal removed, new metal welded in, rebuilt engine, full rewire, interior replaced and ...)( At a cost of $$$$), It took 20 months to complete and was delivered to me in North Carlonia, June 2021.

1. Carburetor heat saturation. _ Repaired with a heat shield and cold air intake.
  2. Gas pump leak - Repaired with electric gas pump install, wiring and inertia switch.
  3. Gas fumes in the cabin. - Repaired with vapor line replacement and carbon filter install.
  4. Gas tank bottom discharge fitting leak. - Repaired by replacing the 5/16 hose clamp fitting with a compression fitting.
  5. Gas tank trash - Repaired with Renu tank service. (Tank baked, cleaned coated and NPT fitting welded in.
  8. Gas gauge not working - Replaced fuel sending unit and corrected ground wiring to tank.
  10. Doors not aligned. required lifting the door handle when closing. - Repaired by realigning.
  11. Turn signals intermittent operation. – Replaced all with LEDs and load resistors.
  12. Cabin road noise. - Repaired with Kilmat install from luggage space to rear lighting. (More needed)
  13. USB charging port fell apart - Repaired by removing port and returning to cigarette lighter.
Here's a few open items I need your help with: (Part sources and/or service providers)
  1. Headliner falls when driving with the windows down. - I can get this from Opel GT source.
  3. Engine leaking.

Transmition speed cable leak. Forgot something - Is it normal to use foam above the transmittion?
View attachment 446093

Engine leak
View attachment 446094

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can speak to the transmission leak at the speedometer cable connection. I have 1969 running gear in my 1971 GT. The 1969 and 1970 models used the same gearbox with the angle drive for the speedometer. The source of the leak is most likely the speedometer drive gear sleeve that has two seals. The problem is that very often the guide itself wears and new seals do not fix the problem. New guides for that particular gearbox are also not available.

SplendidParts and Opel GT Source have available new angle drives but I am highly suspicious of these. I bought one and it arrived to me in a seized condition. This was replaced with another that, after only a few miles, seized itself and destroyed the speedometer drive gear. The drive gear (brown) is simply unavailble -- Gil at OGTS has told me that he has been trying for a couple of years to find someone to make them.

If replacing the seals on the guide sleeve does not work, my advice is to let it drip.

The engine leak could have any number of sources.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,049 Posts
Just one guess of many on the oil leak - up high on the front of the engine is a plate over the cam buttom that is held on by three bolts, check here. Also feel around the back of your valve cover - easy to have valve cover gasket not on correctly causing a slow leak. There are others that I feel sure someone else will chime in about. Good luck.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,674 Posts
Mr. Creasy and I have talked about his woes on the phone, but mainly focussed on his fuel tank issues. He had his tank lined, but debris will clog his pre-electric fuel pump filter after just a single tank of gas. He seems that his spaguetti pot maybe cracked and if that's the case he's screwed because it would then be almost impossible to to pour in enough tank lining stuff and somehow jiggle and shake and flip his tank enough to get the lining stuff to get inside the crack and line/glue/weld the crumbly bits of rust together to prevent further filter clogging. He has more investigation to do and decisions to make as to how much he is willing to spend to fix the problem. I suggested that he ask someone here if they have a servicable tank he could buy.

Now onto his questions and my answers:
1) The only way that your headliner can drop and flop around is if the bow rods have dropped and swung down. Personally, I don't trust the wish and a prayer method that keeps them pointed upwards, I use wires to permanently fix them in place so that they can never drop. It is a monster job to try to fix this problem and almost assuredly requires full scale window rubber removal and a redo from scratch headliner install redo or entire replacement. My video on the subject:

2) I like the slip on plastic dash covers, they're a great quick fix. I half-azz slipped one on just to test fit it and soon forgot it was there for the next 6 months and multiple car shows every weekend. The only other option is to pay big bucks for a Just Dashes redo.

3) Opels leak like pigs, especially if you have an auto tranny. It's one of the defining things about Opels. Only the most anal of Opelers have leak free Opels. Mine doesn't leak anymore, so I guess I'm anal. You have to go to great lengths to solve each leak point. The list is too long to list here.

4) Holy Freakin' Bejeesus! That repair to the speedo cable leak is outrageous!

Now, we're talking about a car that was redone by Keith. We have no idea how thorough a redo of this car was done and paid for. Was it just a body redo or was it a full car, every single thing addressed, redo? The only proper way to redo EVERYTHING is to replace EVERYTHING. To do that costs a fantastic amount of money. I doubt that a fantastic amount of money was spend on this redo.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mr. Creasy and I have talked about his woes on the phone, but mainly focussed on his fuel tank issues. He had his tank lined, but debris will clog his pre-electric fuel pump filter after just a single tank of gas. He seems that his spaguetti pot maybe cracked and if that's the case he's screwed because it would then be almost impossible to to pour in enough tank lining stuff and somehow jiggle and shake and flip his tank enough to get the lining stuff to get inside the crack and line/glue/weld the crumbly bits of rust together to prevent further filter clogging. He has more investigation to do and decisions to make as to how much he is willing to spend to fix the problem. I suggested that he ask someone here if they have a servicable tank he could buy.

Now onto his questions and my answers:
1) The only way that your headliner can drop and flop around is if the bow rods have dropped and swung down. Personally, I don't trust the wish and a prayer method that keeps them pointed upwards, I use wires to permanently fix them in place so that they can never drop. It is a monster job to try to fix this problem and almost assuredly requires full scale window rubber removal and a redo from scratch headliner install redo or entire replacement. My video on the subject:

2) I like the slip on plastic dash covers, they're a great quick fix. I half-azz slipped one on just to test fit it and soon forgot it was there for the next 6 months and multiple car shows every weekend. The only other option is to pay big bucks for a Just Dashes redo.

3) Opels leak like pigs, especially if you have an auto tranny. It's one of the defining things about Opels. Only the most anal of Opelers have leak free Opels. Mine doesn't leak anymore, so I guess I'm anal. You have to go to great lengths to solve each leak point. The list is too long to list here.

4) Holy Freakin' Bejeesus! That repair to the speedo cable leak is outrageous!

Now, we're talking about a car that was redone by Keith. We have no idea how thorough a redo of this car was done and paid for. Was it just a body redo or was it a full car, every single thing addressed, redo? The only proper way to redo EVERYTHING is to replace EVERYTHING. To do that costs a fantastic amount of money. I doubt that a fantastic amount of money was spend on this redo.
Those little "retainers" that are to hold the headliner bows are often "stretched" just enough to not properly hold the rod bow tight. I have always threaded the end of each bow in about 1 inch and put a nut and washer on the bow and did away with the retainers. The bow rods are extremely hard so you will trash the thread die and need more than one. This makes the rods easier to install and you can tighten them in place very well with just a simple turn of a wrench on each end.

As noted by others, improper or "slipped" valve cover gaskets are a cause for leaks. One very good solution I have found is to do away with the gasket and use "The Right Stuff" by Permatex. or if you insist on a gasket, use the Permatex product on both sides of the gasket material. The front and rear of the head and valve cover on the 1.9L is a stupid design and prone to causing the gasket to slip out on installation.

Old seals wear groves into the steel on both the crank and on the front pulley. Speedi Sleeves by SKF available at all Motion Industries Stores are inexpensive, fairly easy to install and correct most leaks. However even with the absolute best care taken on my engine rebuilds, it is not uncommon after a long drive to see some seepage on the front or rear seal. Also coating the seal and metal with XADO repairing grease when there is a visible, but not deep groove. (finger nail test required) has in fact reduced and even stopped the occasional PITA drip for me.

Based on the repairs you did NOT get for your money, I would also suggest you check the torque on all of the transmission bolts. That is just a very thin paper seal between the bellhousing and the transmission that is often a cause for leaks when these bolts come loose. The angle drive for the speedo on the transmission, I agree with all above. Remove it, clean it well, replace the o-ring seals and if it still drips a little, just let it drip. If it drips a lot, find a replacement angle drive. If your speedo is jumpy, first and foremost, replace the entire speedo cable, do not just clean it and lube it, for the cost, just replace it. Spray some penetrating oil on the area where the speedo cable attaches to the speedo. Don't flood it, just spray the area lightly before re-attaching the cable.

·
Über Genius
9,881 Posts
Pigs don't leak.

Just sayin'

• Haha
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Those little "retainers" that are to hold the headliner bows are often "stretched" just enough to not properly hold the rod bow tight. I have always threaded the end of each bow in about 1 inch and put a nut and washer on the bow and did away with the retainers. The bow rods are extremely hard so you will trash the thread die and need more than one. This makes the rods easier to install and you can tighten them in place very well with just a simple turn of a wrench on each end.

This^^^^ works. I did not have the retainers to begin with and could not source any. So after thinking about it, I too hit upon the idea of threading the rods. I had the headliner professionally installed and when I pointed this out to the installer, he agreed fully with the idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All,
Thanks for taking the time to offer these suggestions. Ill review and try them.

Ill also pull some pictures together tomorrow and post.

Thanks again.

·
GT Owner
420 Posts
All,
Thanks for taking the time to offer these suggestions. Ill review and try them.

Ill also pull some pictures together tomorrow and post.

Thanks again.
I have been very pleased with the restoration work done in Tennessee. It does take a long time but not as long as it would take me to do it ( partly due to my lack of knowledge and age ).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All,

Good morning.

3. Engine leaking.

Transmition speed cable leak.
View attachment 446093

Engine leak
View attachment 446094

Here's some additional pictures.

Please be kind. Ive done a lot of work to get it to this state. Im sure your cars look much better.

The appearance items I address are:
  1. Retinted all windows. Complete
  2. Receramic coated. Complete
  3. Cleaned and polished bumper chrome. Complete
  4. Added backup camera. Complete
  5. Door alignment. I had to lift the door handle to get the door to close. corrected
  6. Emblem fell off. Corrected
  7. The chrome on the windshield washer jets fell off. Corrected
  8. Side mirrors not holding position. Corrected
  9. Redid everything in the gas tank area. See last picture. Complete (I need to clean the green spots off)
  10. Add front German plate. Complete (Translation "Too Much Money"
  11. Driver side door panel keeps popping loose on the lower right corner. Waiting on new clips to repair.
  12. Handel on light lever keeps falling off. I need to order replacement.
  13. Instrument panel cracked on rear. I need to order replacement.
  14. Headliner needs repair. Thanks for the video. I can take care of this.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Hood
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel
Car Vehicle Hood Blue Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Tire
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
Here's some additional pictures.

Please be kind. Ive done a lot of work to get it to this state. Im sure your cars look much better.

The appearance items I address are:
  1. Retinted all windows. Complete
  2. Receramic coated. Complete
  3. Cleaned and polished bumper chrome. Complete
  4. Added backup camera. Complete
  5. Door alignment. I had to lift the door handle to get the door to close. corrected
  6. Emblem fell off. Corrected
  7. The chrome on the windshield washer jets fell off. Corrected
  8. Side mirrors not holding position. Corrected
  9. Redid everything in the gas tank area. See last picture. Complete (I need to clean the green spots off)
  10. Add front German plate. Complete (Translation "Too Much Money"
  11. Driver side door panel keeps popping loose on the lower right corner. Waiting on new clips to repair.
  12. Handel on light lever keeps falling off. I need to order replacement.
  13. Instrument panel cracked on rear. I need to order replacement.
  14. Headliner needs repair. Thanks for the video. I can take care of this.

That is a very nice GT! The cold air intakeis prett neat!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.