Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. We actually have a sub-category for "Linkage" threads.

The new stainless steel ball and socket linkage that we can now get from Splendid and OGTS(I guess) is just flat out awesome with improved adjustability, swivel pivots with bearings, removable balls, etc.

There is also "something" inside the sockets. Some kind of insert or bushing. I can't see precisely what it is, but it seems to be black plastic, possibly with roller bearings or something(I could be wrong about the bearing thing). It takes a fair bit of force to pop the ball of one rod into the socket of another, with the spring clip removed of course. The balls stay very firmly in the sockets, even without the spring clips, yet pivot very freely with no play. Sweet.

What are those inserts in the sockets?

Can I buy them?

Are they a patented proprietary product that just one company puts in their linkage?

I need a 4"-5" long, female/female(socket), adjustable linkage rod that has those inserts in the sockets.

I asked Norbert to look into this a bit and he found nice, new, short, linkage rods for me, but none of them specified or made any mention of inserts/bearing/bushings inside the sockets. Some offered "dust shields", which are just foam washers around the base of the balls that help dissuade debris from getting in. I don't need that.

I had to make an offset linkage connector gizmo to operate the side draft carb on my Steinmetz offset manifold and I used the linkage rod from my Mangoletsi throttle cable adapter contraption. That linkage rod is like any other common ball and socket set up and there's nothing inside the sockets, just the bare steel, just like oem GT linkage. The rod is subject to vibration and it rattles and has play in it. I don't like that. That can't be a good thing long term. None of the rest of the whole linkage system has rattle or play in the ball/sockets.

Can someone find or identify for me the cool kind of linkage that has inserts in the sockets?

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, as you can see, my balls are fixed to the carb's throttle levers. They're not the removable, bolt-on, kind. The balls aren't the problem, it's the fit of the balls in the sockets that I want to improve. Norbert is claiming that there is some sort of "spring metal" inside the socket of some brands of ball and socket linkage. Since I can't read the German in some of the links he gave, I can't determine if any of the ones he showed have the springs or some other sort of bushing inside to stop vibration and rattling of the ball in the socket.

Norb' has also said that I need to match and use the same balls and sockets from the same manufacturer. Well, the Splendid linkage I have fits the ancient oem ball on the Weber carb perfectly with no rattle. The throttle levers I used to make my offset pivot adapter are brand new Weber levers with brand new balls welded to them. The Splendid linkage sockets fit those balls perfectly. The problem I am having is that my short connecting rod, with sockets at both ends, is from my Mangoletsi and it DOES NOT fit the Weber balls snugly and there is nothing inside them.

So, I need to find a short adjustable connecting rod, with sockets at both ends, that will fit my Weber throttle lever balls snugly with no rattle.

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been dreading having to do this, due to my failing eye sight, but I got my unused Splendid linkage rod out and my mechanic's monicle and a safety pin and tried picking at whatever was inside to see if it would come out. Nope, can't get it out. It's impossible for me to see exactly what is inside the socket, but my pickings at it with the safety pin lead me to think that it is, in fact, some sort of split metal ring, locked into a carved groove inside the socket, and I can spin it with the safety pin. It ain't coming out. "Normal" ball sockets don't have this metal ring and the carved groove for them to fit into on the inside, they're just bare metal inside. Here's some useless pics:

Finger Hand
Technology Capacitor Electronic device Electronic component
Finger Camera lens Photography Lens

NORBERT! Call Splendid and find out what brand of ball and sockets they are using!

:thinking: :cussing:

4,243 Posts
I've been dreading having to do this, due to my failing eye sight, but I got my unused Splendid linkage rod out and my mechanic's monicle and a safety pin and tried picking at whatever was inside to see if it would come out. Nope, can't get it out. It's impossible for me to see exactly what is inside the socket, but my pickings at it with the safety pin lead me to think that it is, in fact, some sort of split metal ring, locked into a carved groove inside the socket, and I can spin it with the safety pin. It ain't coming out. "Normal" ball sockets don't have this metal ring and the carved groove for them to fit into on the inside, they're just bare metal inside. Here's some useless pics:

View attachment 342049 View attachment 342057 View attachment 342065

NORBERT! Call Splendid and find out what brand of ball and sockets they are using!

:thinking: :cussing:
Gordon
Take the exact diameter from both balls with a slide gauge! I think they are both 10mm
I be sure he also use DIN 71802 sockets with the spring metal ring in the carved groove.
Here is a Picture where you can see the spring ring (Part 02 Rib)

Attachments

· MOD IT!
718 Posts
Just my opinion, but a Lokar throttle cable eliminates all that linkage, works better and make a much cleaner installation.

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I could go cable throttle or linear actuator or magnetic levitation or any other kooky idea I can think of, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the solid linkage and it keeps a bit of the car's antiqiness.

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just looked inside of an oem GT linkage socket and I see that it has the "rib" inside. I guess this means that this is a common thing and all or most ball and socket linkages have the rib inside. I am now guessing that something is not right with my Mangoletsi linkage rod. Maybe it is cheap junk or maybe it is 9mm. Tomorrow I will take that linkage rod off the car and look inside it's sockets to see if I am correct that there is something not right inside.

:veryhappy

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
You could go total servo on the throttles.
Wouldn't even need a gas pedal anymore. You could drive by remote control.

(I should not say such things to the Gordon)

Reactions: The Scifi Guy
4,243 Posts
Oooooooooh
Today I find out.Your main problem will be to get a adjustable rod in useful length 4"-5":ugh:
Rods with male ends are to short and rods with female ends will be to long when add the M5 DIN 71802 sockets!
What length did the Mangoletsi have,from center to center at balls?
Have your Mangoletsi rod also M5 threads?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.