Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to install new lower ball joint into the control arms. The FSM says not to press on the sides, but on the bottom (sorry, don't have the exact words, don't have the manual in front of me). OGTS told me to get an adapter that presses against the outter edges...Which is correct?? am I understanding this correctly?

Also, to torque the bolt, in order to get the socket on the nut, it looks like you have to remove the part which the tie rod goes into..and to get that off, you have to remove the brake caliper..does this sound right?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I had my whole suspension apart last month and replaced my ball joints at the same time. I used a 3/4 drive socket, (can't remember the exact size) for the bottom, fit the edges of the new ball joint. A piece of pipe on the other side of the wishbone, longer than the stud that the locknut goes on. Put it all in a large vise, son helped hold all of the parts, and tightened it up until the ball joint was flush with the bottom lip on the lower wishbone. Take a look at this thread and see if it helps. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398&highlight=ball+joints
I've never done it on the car itself. I'm sure others have. HTH, Jarrell

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.