Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I like you guys. The bottom line is that they are super cool cars. I've been up close on this one and it's got at the worst a bunch of great parts. My bottom line is $700 untouched. If that's unreasonable then I'll drive the damn thing untill someone hits me up about. I will post my progress. Mark my words " It will run, and if it won't it will be ran.Right the **** over the scales."
I think I like you guys. The bottom line is that they are super cool cars. I've been up close on this one and it's got at the worst a bunch of great parts. My bottom line is $700 untouched. If that's unreasonable then I'll drive the damn thing untill someone hits me up about. I will post my progress. Mark my words " It will run, and if it won't it will be ran.Right the **** over the scales."
By the way I'm no chump, I own and operate a transmission shop. I'm ASE in trannies and a over all bumper to bumper mechanic. Needless to say I have a couple of tires laying around the shop. If I put effort into this then the price goes up. Remember gentlemen time is money. And my time isn't cheap.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just so we're clear here,
You've had the gt for 3 months
You post here for first time today
And the gt has 3 days till destroyed?
If that's your idea of a quick sale? it's creative, but I don't see it as effective
This has got to be a joke I'm missing here

·
Registered
568 Posts
Did it have a gas cap on it when you found it? If it has been sitting without a gas cap, then the tank is surely rusted beyond repair.

Taking small cars across the scales is hardly cost effective.

1. I haven't drug a car across the scales in a couple decades. So, what do you think it will bring across the scales? Maybe $200 to $300? I am just asking, as I don't know what scrap prices are. But for the sake of this discussion, let's say you can get $400, which I doubt.

2. Last car I DID drag across the scales had to be accompanied by a title. Do you have a title?

3. Also had to drain fluids AND remove the gas tank before they would take it, along with the battery (OK, so it probably doesn't have a battery) AND the tires. Have you pulled a gas tank out of a GT? Can't just cut a couple straps like you do on most older domestic cars.

As you said, your time is valuable. Assuming you have a title, and don't have to go through the hassle of getting a Title 43 procedure done (more $$$$); by the time you fart around with it getting it ready to scrap, AND load it up, then make a trip to Standard Iron (or wherever.... that's where I took the last three cars I scrapped back in the 90's... I am also in the OKC metro) you have an easy four hours in this.

I think you are way ahead taking $400 from a cash buyer who will come pick it up.

But, that's just my opinion. Probably worth what you paid for it.

Good luck either way. BTW, I am not a buyer. I gave up on rusty cars. Too much work.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Then the first thing above all else is determine how much rust there is in the floors/rockers/front frame(not the crossmembers). That is where the value is in the GT. If it's not bad, I wouldn't care if it ran. If it is bad, it won't matter if it runs except for the convenience of being able to move the 'parts' around.
Drivetrains are cheap, due to all the rusty cars, and rust repair is expensive.
If there are huge gaping holes, then getting it running/driving/stopping probably won't get you more money. Not from anyone that knows these cars.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
UngerDog
1,323 Posts
I think I like you too. I'm always up for a reasonable challenge. If it was my GT, I would get it running. If the engine turns, the carb isn't all plugged up, it has a battery, spark, gas, a key might be nice, it may take less than an hour to fire it up. How much is an hour worth working on one of your own cars when you're a car guy? And, then you can post a video and say "See, I told you guys!"

You have till Monday or the opel gets it!
Wait, what? I don't think I like you like I use to. You are threatening and scary.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
There are some smartasses on here...I won't say who.

·
Non Civilian
2,100 Posts
Guys don't waste your time. He thinks he has a gold mine and will charge a mint for it. Whilst it is just a rust bucket he is going to take to the scrap yard and give him 150 bucks for.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
$700 could be realistic if there are more photos that help evaluate the car and show it has stuff worth saving. I might be wrong about there being a serious amount of rust. I’ve looked closer and a section I thought was rusted through might have been a really dirty section instead with bad paint. It has surface rust but is the rust actually worse than that? Even for parts cars, that matters. The body is the most valuable part of a GT.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
$700 could be realistic if there are more photos that help evaluate the car and show it has stuff worth saving. I might be wrong about there being a serious amount of rust. I’ve looked closer and a section I thought was rusted through might have been a really dirty section instead with bad paint. It has surface rust but is the rust actually worse than that? Even for parts cars, that matters. The body is the most valuable part of a GT.
On that car, the windshield might be the most valuable part. We wouldn't know without better and more extensive pictures.

I pulled a garage find that was sitting for over 20 years in a garage. It was parked due to not running. After replacing the cam and lifters (and cleaning out the clogged oil port) and replacing the brakes, it was a daily driver.
It didn't have any rust in the bad places. Zero cancer other than a small spot on the belly pan.

There are diamonds out there but we'll never see them if we just get a quick picture of the dirt.

EDIT!

Nevermind. I just looked at the larger pictures. The mud line on the rear tire says that has NOT been under cover for the last 20 years. The tree debris reinforces this.
There's obvious cancer in the rockers and the belly pan has been hit.

This is a parts car. Show good parts or scrap it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Okc ish area. Condition is in

Condition is inthere eye of the beholder. View attachment 438364

Okc, ? , Entertaining offers
I have restored GT's in this condition. Not only does it take over a year of fairly steady work, (at least 4 hours a day 5-6 days a week) it will also take over $5000.00 in parts. Now if you do ALL the work yourself, you will have 5K in parts, plus the price of the car and you have to figure your work is worth lets say $10,000. So if your lucky and you sell the car after you get it looking extremely good, you can get on average 17,000. So if you take ALL the time you invest in the car for OVER a year (working part time as stated above) you/ve earned 12,000 in that time. Less tool wear, less electricity, less various trips to the hardware, less Band-Aids and tetanus shots....Ya get the picture. Unless you are building one of these cars to enjoy, it is a loss no matter how you look at it. So when people see cars like this selling for 17- 27K. They don't look like this, they have been at least partially restored, driven, taken to shows, etc. then sold to start another project. I know I am not making crapola when I restore and sell these cars, but I have an extremely good pension, so I don't look at the time as a loss, I just figure the pension is paying for my time. I start with cars that are mostly there and look a lot like this one. BUT, I do not pay more than $500-$600.00 even if the motor starts. Cars in this condition are going to be a loss no matter what as stated above. No one is trying to be rude on what they are valuing the car at, just experienced and realistic.

Now on the other hand, if you take the time to part this car out, properly clean and make the parts presentable, you CAN turn this car into about 4-5K on ebay in parts. That again takes about a year and you have to WORK to get the parts properly working, and looking really presentable to get the price out of them. No one wants to pay high prices for parts they have to clean or rebuild. I personally am getting out of the part selling, simply because I have no faith or trust in the platforms that I used to sell the parts anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just FYI, the last time I scrapped an entire Opel GT in Ohio, (about 2.5 years ago) I got a whopping $137.00 for the car. After paying to get an Ohio title, taxes, and gas, plus the purchase of the car, transporting it to Ohio only to find the motor, transmission, rear end and all axles total junk. I figure I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.00 and it was the LAST time I EVER replied to an ad that said "RAN WHEN PARKED".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just thought you were oval GT nuts either you want the car for $700 or y'all don't I will scrap it I will post more pictures in the morning. By the way that's what I do other than transmissions is scrap cars it's heavy enough if I throw a couple transmissions in it to bring me well over 400 maybe five.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I do not understand why you would spend the time scrapping the car for less than $400 when you may be able to have a buyer come haul it off for the same money, but much less work. Your car; your decision. No skin off my nose either way.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I do not understand why you would spend the time scrapping the car for less than $400 when you may be able to have a buyer come haul it off for the same money, but much less work. Your car; your decision. No skin off my nose either way.
Even more so, why sit on it for (3 months) allegedly, then show up here and threaten with a 3 day time line within your first post.
Should I drop all my plans for this weekend with my family because someone shows up out of nowhere with there threatening to destroy it?
We are ALL very fond of our opels and other survivors out there.
But to show up and create this type of buzz the way you have gone about it so far frankly pisses me off more than anything else.
And further more to add that you can throw transmissions in it to bring the weight up for more money is a ( I'll say it politely) a weird way of doing things. What little profit is still the same for the gt
Which leads me to your other comment about I also scrap cars for a living. I know a few scrappers and have so for many years and they have the same mind set that I'm receiving from you. ( it's just scrap junk if you don't buy it before I get it loaded I don't care it's gone) because it holds no value to me unless you give me 3 times what the scrap yard will.
I'm done here This crap just really pisses me off.
It's yours do whatever you want. good luck

21 - 40 of 85 Posts