Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts
Drivetrains are cheap, due to all the rusty cars, and rust repair is expensive.
If there are huge gaping holes, then getting it running/driving/stopping probably won't get you more money. Not from anyone that knows these cars.
Your comment reminded me of this video I watched recently.
Virtually anything can be fixed, given enough time, money, skill, and proper tools.
Normally, the cost of any such restoration greatly exceeds the value of the final product though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I see the logic in not scrapping the gt. I'd planned on doing something else with it. Now have a few days to move it. The details are stupid . I've been lazy and shouldn't have relied on an employee of mine. I've checked the weight. If someone wants to match the scrap weight , be my guest. Regardless of anyone else's opinion, I'll get $400 ish. I refuse to spend more time on this. My wife reminded me of how upset I was when I saw a honda prelude fourth generation scrapped. Yes I'm a tuner. So please no more me being a stupid asshole , and no more y'all pointing it out. $400 for the car. More pics in a couple of hours. I will meet someone in OKC with it. I'd rather not crush it. Let me know. I can only hold it a few more days.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
Terry's post reminded me of a true story from a few years back.

There was an auto swap meet nearby and a guy had brought an Opel GT and parked it outside of the venue. He advertised it for scrap value at $150. Take it or leave it. He said he was leaving the swap meet and stopping at the scales. The scales are only 2 miles away so no doubt he was serious.

I went to take a look. It was trashed. No motor, no interior. Every panel was horrible on it. I think it still had the rear glass but that was it.

Now, if I had a place for it, I could have justified the $150 for it but I didn't have a place for junk.

BUT, the front bumper looked brand new.

I contacted the guy and asked if he'd be willing to sell me the front bumper.

His reply was "Sure, but you have to take the whole car. $150"

I thought he misunderstood. So I repeated what I wanted. "Just the front bumper".

His reply was "If you're not taking the entire car for $150 then I'm not selling."

I couldn't believe the guy. I offered him $150 for "Just the bumper" and he could scrap the car like he planned.
He said "NO. All or nothing. And added that if I wasn't going to buy the whole car to quit talking to him.

Crazy!

FWIW, I was half tempted to swipe the bumper and tell him the money was in the car. He had it held on by only the two outer 13mm bolts. I decided to not bother.

So, because someone didn't want to haul his trash to the scales, he threw away a perfect component. That was some hissy fit.

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Terry's post reminded me of a true story from a few years back.

There was an auto swap meet nearby and a guy had brought an Opel GT and parked it outside of the venue. He advertised it for scrap value at $150. Take it or leave it. He said he was leaving the swap meet and stopping at the scales. The scales are only 2 miles away so no doubt he was serious.

I went to take a look. It was trashed. No motor, no interior. Every panel was horrible on it. I think it still had the rear glass but that was it.

Now, if I had a place for it, I could have justified the $150 for it but I didn't have a place for junk.

BUT, the front bumper looked brand new.

I contacted the guy and asked if he'd be willing to sell me the front bumper.

His reply was "Sure, but you have to take the whole car. $150"

I thought he misunderstood. So I repeated what I wanted. "Just the front bumper".

His reply was "If you're not taking the entire car for $150 then I'm not selling."

I couldn't believe the guy. I offered him $150 for "Just the bumper" and he could scrap the car like he planned.
He said "NO. All or nothing. And added that if I wasn't going to buy the whole car to quit talking to him.

Crazy!

FWIW, I was half tempted to swipe the bumper and tell him the money was in the car. He had it held on by only the two outer 13mm bolts. I decided to not bother.

So, because someone didn't want to haul his trash to the scales, he threw away a perfect component. That was some hissy fit.
R u advising me to part it out? I'm not trying to be unreasonable. Allow me to get my fat ass out to the new property and take some picks up close and very informative. Maybe you still need the bumper. Okay! That's it! I'm parting it out. I ve seen it up close, there is a **** load of great parts. Looks like you r stuck with this clown. Thanks for all of your help.

Your newest Opel parts Dealer

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
I see the logic in not scrapping the gt. I'd planned on doing something else with it. Now have a few days to move it. The details are stupid . I've been lazy and shouldn't have relied on an employee of mine. I've checked the weight. If someone wants to match the scrap weight , be my guest. Regardless of anyone else's opinion, I'll get $400 ish. I refuse to spend more time on this. My wife reminded me of how upset I was when I saw a honda prelude fourth generation scrapped. Yes I'm a tuner. So please no more me being a stupid asshole , and no more y'all pointing it out. $400 for the car. More pics in a couple of hours. I will meet someone in OKC with it. I'd rather not crush it. Let me know. I can only hold it a few more days.

If it should come to it and no one gets the car, keep the windshield if it's good. That alone would fetch $150 plus. A Weber 32/36 would get $50 if rebuildable. The instrument panel with gauges/wiring is $50+.
Opel John is rebuilding steering columns and may be interested in the core. All of these are easy to pull off, all of it in an hour or two. Easy to ship as well, except for the windshield.
All the parts for a four speed conversion are wanted occasionally. If the bumpers are not rusted and bent they should be kept.
And the rear panel trim strip.

Like I said, if it comes to it. This would hardly impact the weight when scrapping.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
R u advising me to part it out? I'm not trying to be unreasonable. Allow me to get my fat ass out to the new property and take some picks up close and very informative. Maybe you still need the bumper. Okay! That's it! I'm parting it out. I ve seen it up close, there is a **** load of great parts. Looks like you r stuck with this clown. Thanks for all of your help.

Your newest Opel parts Dealer
My story was just a story from a life experience. It was due to Terry's post, not yours.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
See this thread for price guide for Gts by Charles Goin.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
With the mud line on the tires, it's obvious that the car sat in the weather MANY years.
With the cancer we see, we know there's a LOT more on the bottom of the car.

The engine has been worked before. If nothing else, the head was serviced.
It still has the Solex so we know it wasn't driven more than 10 years or so.

This car is DONE!

Take a few parts off, or don't, and send it to the scales.

The easiest thing to make a couple bucks off of it are the windows and valve cover. Nothing else is going to be worth salvaging.

If someone were inclined, they could swing by and grab the head real quick but not knowing if it's cracked or not, may not be worth the effort.

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts
With the mud line on the tires, it's obvious that the car sat in the weather MANY years.
With the cancer we see, we know there's a LOT more on the bottom of the car.

The engine has been worked before. If nothing else, the head was serviced.
It still has the Solex so we know it wasn't driven more than 10 years or so.

This car is DONE!

Take a few parts off, or don't, and send it to the scales.

The easiest thing to make a couple bucks off of it are the windows and valve cover. Nothing else is going to be worth salvaging.

If someone were inclined, they could swing by and grab the head real quick but not knowing if it's cracked or not, may not be worth the effort.
I agree that the sheet metal is probably a lost cause, but I would add stuff like the instrument panel (full set of gauges), lenses (if good), marker lights, radiator fan, washer reservoir, etc. to your list Stuff that is easy to pick, and can be cleaned and sold pretty quickly. Also, I wonder what is in that box sitting on the passenger seat?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
The radio isn't stock, so it isn't desirable. The factory radio is worth anywhere from $20 to $100.

The Solex carb could be useful to some people. The engine, transmission, and axle can be useful to some people. The glass is likely the last valuable components that could be worth a decent amount of money and worth the hassle for many people.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts