Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
It has the wrong carburetor. The original Solex carburetor for the Opel GT had a manual linkage setup for the secondary throttle mechanism, whereas the carburetor in the picture uses a vacuum operated secondary throttle, found in other Opel models. That large bulb attached to the carburetor at the back and below the choke mechanism is the vacuum device.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Early head....probably not the original motor but red paint may indicate a rebuild of the head or motor at some point. Between that and the carb, maybe the entire lump was swapped from a Kadett.

·
Non Civilian
2,100 Posts
All this drama for a lost cause car with "maybe" a few possibly rebuild-able parts. As car it's not worth $700 or else, not even $150. It is worth it's weight in scrap, maybe $200.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
As you can see, there is a wide range of opinions here. And as they say, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." The question we each have to ask ourselves is, "Does this car make my ass look big?"

Reactions: Paul M and krewzer

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
Well, I can say one member on here has my attention for being a tad offensive. It ends now or I will take action, and I really don't like having to do that. It's rather uncomfortable needing to tell an adult, who is likely older than me, to chill out and be polite. We've already had one member go nuts because we removed a disparaging political comment in this thread. Do we really need to take more action against someone else because they can't play nice with others?

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
Well, I can say one member on here has my attention for being a tad offensive. It ends now or I will take action, and I really don't like having to do that. It's rather uncomfortable needing to tell an adult, who is likely older than me, to chill out and be polite. We've already had one member go nuts because we removed a disparaging political comment in this thread. Do we really need to take more action against someone else because they can't play nice with others?
I apologize. Have a cookie. 🍪

• Haha
Reactions: Autoholic

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
Oh it wasn't you. The comments were pretty direct in being offensive and meant for the OP. The cookie made me laugh though.
Oh, I know it wasn't me. I'm an angel. I'm the guy that never causes any conflicts. I'm the guy everyone is excited to see. Etc.

So, a long time ago I realized that, when people fight, it's usually posturing. Almost always.
And the one thing that would end the fight is if someone, genuinely, apologized.
In a few instances in my life I've stepped in the middle of a fight and said "let's take a break for just a second". Then I followed with
Looking at party 1 "Would it help if (looking at other party) apologized?"
(usually party two would say they aren't apologizing)
Then I look at party two and say "Would it help if (looking at other party) THEY apologized?"
(Then, of course the argument starts again, but both are trying to convince me).
Then I look at both of them and say "FINE! I apologize for both of you".

It's had mixed results but usually got them on the same page about something.

And if they were responsive, I'd thrown in a snarky "THERE! Now go have a cookie!"

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
I am sorry, but "white chocolate chips" is a scam. White chocolate isn't chocolate. I'm out.
True, it's not actually chocolate. But because it's largely made from cocoa butter, it's called chocolate. Blame whoever named it that. I still really like those cookies.

10/19: I decided to clean up the thread a little. Hopefully future discussions are polite, or the cookie monster is going to wake up.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
Has anyone picked up the Opel? Sadly it might be destined to be scrapped but I'd hope some parts could be salvaged. The engine probably could be used for something. I know I eventually want an engine block coffee table.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts