Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was taking out my sound system with the battery unpluged... i forgot to hook it up again afterwards.. when i put the new sound system in.. i found that it was disconnected... and the lights were dem and the electric starter wouldn't start... why did my battery go dead(weak)? this all happened over a week...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I would suspect you got an older battery, that has one or more cells going bad. If you have a volt-ohmmeter, you can check the static voltage of the battery. If it's less than 12.5 volts, it's time for a new battery. HTH.

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've had it for two months

the guy i bought the car off of, said it was a new battery, that was two months ago. the guy said it has new tires, which it does but the two back tires are going flat. passenger side takes about a month to go flat, drivers side takes three days.. could it be a bad bead?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: i've had it for two months

Willy_g77 said:
the guy i bought the car off of, said it was a new battery, that was two months ago. the guy said it has new tires, which it does but the two back tires are going flat. passenger side takes about a month to go flat, drivers side takes three days.. could it be a bad bead?
As far as your rims- I had the same problem- take them into a tire shop and have them put rim sealer around the tire and rim- stops the leaks on older rims.

·
Opeler
252 Posts
even new batteries can somtimes have a floting short causing them to discharge.I have had 2 batteries from the same big company with this problem.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It worked before

it work fine before i disconnected it for a week... it is a new napa battery. the giy said it was new... it looks new....

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If you have a new battery, or close to it, the most probable cause is loose or corroded connections. First make sure the battery posts are clean, same with the cables, then tighten them down good and snug. Second, check the other end of each cable. the ground or negative cable where it bolts to the frame on the passenger side of the engine compartment and the positive cable where it connects to the starter solenoid. Again make sure the ends are clean and where the cable attaches is clean. The single biggest problem in electronics is having a bad ground. If the trons don't flow, nothing works. HTH.

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

i borrowed my friends battery charger , i tried it on test mode and i turn on my stero and my lights, it works, it is now charging... by the way i'm putting on new termanals, mine are rusted.... hopefully im stero will work more then two days

1 - 9 of 9 Posts