Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thanks to Gary's fix, I finally got the "before" pictures of my '70 GT uploaded to the gallery. But be forewarned, it was really a sad looking little car when I got her. So don't be too disappointed when you see them. I actually didn't realize just how bad my GT looked until I compared the pics to some of the incredible GT's in the gallery. :( But rest assured, she is in the shop now and on the road to recovery!!! As soon as I get a chance to take some current pics of the restoration's progress, I'll get them uploaded. I can't wait to get some other people's opinions on the new spoiler and hood scoop!! :D

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
s'okay.

the best part of restoration (for me, at least) is taking a barn queen and turning it into something special.

Last one I did was a '56 Chrysler which had literally sat inna barn for 20 years. Paid $700 for Mabel. Mabel was sunk nearly 10" into that barn floor before she was drug out into the light of day.

Got her lit ( I LOVE lighting off old sleeping motors - it's pretty much like sex for me) and drove her home as-is...swiss cheesed exhaust, collapsed lifters, and questionable brakes. A mile from home, the brakes gave out - no surprise - thankfully old Chryslers have a line brake (big drum brake on the back of the transmission) that stops the car nearly as well as the juice on all four corners.

Mabel was a sad and sorry sight when she hit the driveway for the first time.

A year later...

She glided down the freeway at 80+ MPH on a 300 mile trip to her first car show sans incident. Mabel picked up 'Best in Class' at one of the largest regional shows in the Midwest on her very first outing!

Soo...

Barn queens are cool. Make it happen, man! Save that GT!

·
Registered
125 Posts
johnbran said:
I actually didn't realize just how bad my GT looked until I compared the pics to some of the incredible GT's in the gallery. :(
John,

Don't feel bad! I think its great you are putting your blood sweat and tears into her. I took the easy way out and just bought someone else's hard work, so in essence you've got the better end of the deal. I can't wait to see her when she's all done!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support! I admit that I've gotten a little frustrated with the project a few times, but it's the thought of what it will (hopefully) look and run like when it's all done that keeps me going back out there and working away on the little car. I'm going to try to get a few current pics later today, and hopefully get them up on here later this week. It hasn't come too far yet, but it's getting there little by little!!:D

Thanks again,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts