Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tomking
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering installing a glass belly pan on my GT. What advice would those who have done so give to one considering it? Pros and cons? What to do and what not to do? Thanks.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Tom,
In my rebuild a 'glass bellypan was considered but eventually we made one up from 1.4mm thick "zyntec" which is zinc plated steel sheet.
The reasoning is that a 'glass one will shatter when it contacts speed bumps or curbs - a steel one will just bend a bit and not make such a mess.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
the front belly pan from ogts must be strong.. it is fiber glass. i took my brothers front fiber glass panel off the was throwing it around and kicking it.. it was off an old delta 88. it is the piece that where the hood and front grill meet.. well that piece was super strong . i dont see why one would break so easy... but ya never know....

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Re: Belly Pan Question - Pros & Cons

A bit more from me!

Fibreglass Belly Pan

Pros: They are available, new, from OGTS at a reasonable price and good quality.
Don't involve skilled panel forming as they are made to shape and one piece.
Once fitted and painted only a magnet will tell the difference. A lot less costly than a hand made steel version. Good steel 2nd hand units are few and far between. 'Glass is virtually impervious to battery acid and does not rust.

Cons: Not good German steel! Possibility of cracks forming at the steel/'glass join due to differing expansion rates. Must be physically attached with pop rivets/bolts & washers as they cannot be welded into an integral part of the body like steel can be. Getting the surface finish smooth and ripple-free can be a mission as the unit often distorts if "stretched" to fit.

·
Opeler
56 Posts
I need an example,,,

well we are having just enough warm weather that I can get out to the garage and get busy. I want to tackle the belly pan on my '71 GT. The pan is in good shape as far as rust goes, BUT (there is always a big BUT), there are so many dents I can't tell what the original shape looked like. Was the new pan originally quite flat or was it rounded? Mine has too many hills and valleys to tell. I recall seeing a picture of a pan that was in fairly good shape and someone was describing how it was brazed into place. I can't find that thread or photo. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Picture of *NEW* One!

lgladdis said:
well we are having just enough warm weather that I can get out to the garage and get busy. I want to tackle the belly pan on my '71 GT. The pan is in good shape as far as rust goes, BUT (there is always a big BUT), there are so many dents I can't tell what the original shape looked like. Was the new pan originally quite flat or was it rounded? Mine has too many hills and valleys to tell. I recall seeing a picture of a pan that was in fairly good shape and someone was describing how it was brazed into place. I can't find that thread or photo. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Here is a pic of a NOS Belly pan that was sold on eBay some time ago - alas not to me! HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
77 Posts
i am working on making patches for my GT belly pan. I am using these photos for reference. My question is - Is the pan completely flat in the rear area, between the wheel cutouts? It appears to be on the photos. The side edges that are welded to the flanges at the wheel wells are flat. The rear edge of mine is flat, but at the rear of the reinforcing ridge in the center (where the drain hole is), there is some curvature from side to side, and front to back. Is this correct or is this ridge area too low? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
I have an NOS belly pan. Though it’s flimsy when unmounted, I’m going to say no, there’s no flat areas on the bottom. It’s all curved in one way or another.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
77 Posts
Thanks for checking. I will have to try to match. But it is not a visible area of the car, so not as critical as upper surfaces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts