Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the front suspension on my '72 GT and noticed some bent pieces on the passenger side. My first clue was the damage I repaired to the rear of the passenger front wheel well. It looked like the wheel had been pushed back into the wheel well (hit a curb?). Then, I noticed the bent lower control arm (replaced with straight one) and now I noticed that the suspension cross member looks bent too. The odd thing is the wheel well and LCA damage looks like the wheel bent to the back but the X-member looks like it is bent to the front. Does it look like that to you?

Please give your opinion if you think the X-member needs to be replaced or do you think I can compensate with the wheel alignment. It seems to be off about 3/16"-1/4". I added camber adjustment to the UCA and am searching for shims to create more positive caster which will hopefully compensate for possible shift in the lower ball joint location. The suspension was installed on the car but the car wasn't running when purchased so I don't know how it tracked down the road.

Attachments

·
1,612 Posts
Replace the X-frame. You would need to check the wheel base spec. on both sides and you would find it out of spec.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,606 Posts
Yup, replace the crossmember.

There's very little front to rear adjustment at the wheels and any bendage is very difficult to adjust away.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If the wheel took a direct hit inward the cross member can bend in one of three ways. It can collapse longitudinally, bend forward, or bend to the rear. It takes more force to collapse than bend in the fore-aft direction, and the geometry of the hit bent yours in the forward direction. I'd replace the cross member.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts