Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Best manuals for 1970 Opel GT?

Just bought my first Opel - 1970 Opel GT. :D So what are the best manuals for me to buy? I normally work with a Chilton's manual - haven't found one for this vehicle though. This is going to be my first restore! 8)

Thank you!

Heather V. Havel
Michigan, USA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, Heather . . . I think most of us would agree that the Opel Service Manuals are the ones to have, the books that Buick dealer techs worked from back in the day. The Chilton books are fine for basic reference, but not nearly as detailed. The Service Manuals have been out of print for years now, of course, but you'll see them on eBay now & then, & are well worth bidding on. So, have fun, good luck, & feel free to pick this group's collective brains anytime . . .

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Just remembered another source of the factory manuals--www.books4cars.com has each year's manual, from 1969 through 1973, for $32.84. They can also be contacted at [email protected]. Might seem like an expensive book, but if you're serious about restoring the car, it's absolutely worth the money. BTW, this info comes from the March 2002 edition of the Blitz, the Opel Motorsport Club's monthly magazine (which is especially hilarious this month--see the Member Survey results), which is another great Opeler´s resource you might want to investigate, Heather.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Opel Manuals

I placed this reponse on the OMC message board. Any comments or words of wisdom from this group? (sorry for duplicating the post, but there are probably more GT fans on this site than the OMC site, and even more on the [email protected] site. But this one has a more focused audience, and is the better structure of the three)

Author: Keith Wilford (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: 03-06-02 00:57

Heather,

My first advice is to surf IMMEDIATELY to two web sites: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicopels
and
http://opelgt.com/ .
These two sites will prove to be the best source of Opel help that exists, as there isn't a manual written that can replace the practical experience of seven or eight hundred Opel owners.

Any manual is better than none, and I have no fewer than four (4). I have an Autobook, a Chiltons, a Drake (quite rare) and a factory Service manual. At times it is vey handy to have a couple of choices on how to repair or re-build something. But the best is easily the factory manual. So my second piece of advice is to surf on to ebay.com and buy a used factory manual (I don't believe that any of the ones mentioned above are in current print, even the Chilton's).

One complication that you might have is the year of your GT. Early 1970 models and prior (with square indicator lights in the dashboard above the steering wheel versus the later round lights) have a different wiring diagram than the later GT's (late '70 to the end in '73), so that might affect which manual you should buy. But the good news is that the electrical diagrams (and other technical help) are available on the Opel Association of North America site at:
http://www.opel-na.com/
(another great site, by the way)

My last advice (for now) is to buy your parts from Opel GT Source, online at:
http://www.opelgtsource.com/ . You can also try one of the other Opel vendors, such as USA Opel at http://www.justwebit.com/members/39011/ or Opels Unlimited at http://www.opelsunl.com/ . I personally haven't used these last two, but they are kind of like having more than one manual. One might be best for most occasions, but another might just have exactly what you need.

HTH

Keith Wilford
'71 GT
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found some manuals at garage sales, and at book sales of bookstores. there is a guy in Ontario that stocks old shop manuals. Last time I checked he had several left, he deals mostly in general motors, so your local dealership might have his number. I am in the process of moving otherwise i would give you his number. good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, come to think of it, a few of manuals I've collected were from used book stores in Denver. The better ones had separate automotive-only sections, and since so many Opels were sold in Colorado--many of them still on the road--I found a HARDCOVER Chilton 64-70 (very nice, suitable for a REAL library), several copies of the very worthwhile Clymer 66-79 (good performance improvement chapter for those new to the car, & worth checking eBay for), the Autobooks UK book on the GT, & several others that have since fallen apart . . . as manuals often do. The best of them all, though, was the 71 Factory manual I found, covered in dust & forgotten by the previous owner, behind the spare tire on a GT I'd paid $200 for. :] Sweetened the deal considerably.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wheel Spacers?

I've decided that I should have a repair manual, but haven't had much luck finding one here in Canada. Does anyone have
any suggestions?
As well, what is the concensus on rim spacers? Is it a bad
idea or is it workable?
Any thoughts?

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
opelgtsource.com sells repair manuals pretty inexpensively. Can't help with the spacer thing, sorry.

David

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Opel Factory Manual

Make sure you get a FACTORY service manual, versus an aftermarket version (Chiltons, etc.). The aftermarket manuals are better than nothing, but not nearly complete enough to repair most systems. Watch that you get a '71 or newer manual, since there was a fairly significant change in wiring and some mechanical designs (differential, transmission, etc.) in early to mid 1970.

There are usually a couple of factory service manuals on ebay. Note, do NOT get an Owners Manual, which is just the little booklet that you get when you buy the car. And don't be afraid of ebay, its a GREAT source of used and NOS (New Old Stock) Opel parts. Do a search for "Opel"under www.ebaymotors.com (or just copy and past this url to your address bar):

http://motors.search-desc.ebay.com/...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

HTH

ps. Where in Canada are you at?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Manual

It would be great to get a few pages out of a manual.
I just bought one on ebay but it will take a while to get
here. Some wiring diagrams would help me trouble shoot
this weekend.
:)

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Re: Not to detract, but...

oldopelguy said:
On the service manual topic. I have a copy of every Opel factory service manual from '54-'75, as well as a copy of almost every available (and out of print) aftermarket service manual. I'm not sure about the legalities yet as far as selling them, but it would be possible to scan each in and offer either a downloadable version or an available CD-ROM. I'm not sure if my copy of acrobat allows me to save scans very well, so it may end-up a collection of some 400 B+W .jpegs, but they print out too. If you want it piece-meal, let me know the topic you need info on and I'll e-mail you the appropriate section.
Hmmm.... might be a good project for this site. I know there is a 55 meg file of a scanned manual out there somewhere and we still have 350 meg available here.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Wiring Diagram and

If your GT is a '71, then the 72 wiring diagram should be fine. The change was made in mid '70 (in build time). There is also a '69 diagram at this site, which works for the earlier version.

To repeat what has been said before, if you are unsure as to what "build" version you have, look at the GT identification reference page on the same site, at:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/GTYears.pdf

HTH

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Fsm

Yep! That is the Factory Service Manual for 1971 Opels.

·
Opeler
56 Posts
I just got mine too

:rolleyes: I just received the same '71 manual in the mail from an eBay purchase. It shows a lot more detail than my other opel manuals. It was good reading material as I fell asleep last night. Unfortunately, it also showed where I had made several wrong assumptions and mistakes. I was perfectly happy until a book showed me that I screwed up.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Info!

There is about a million bucks worth of info in those manuals - BUT - be aware that the Figure 60-2 Sectional View - Timing System has an error in it.
The key in the crankshaft should be depicted at the top and not the bottom of the shaft. The later picture 60-41 Valve Timing Marks is the correct one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts