Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the upgrade to the S-10 clutch with the new incoming Aluminum flywheel going on the Getrag . . I'm looking at PU1904 clutch. It's for a 2.8 V6 ,85-92.9.125 0D. The company I've been recommended to is ClutchNet from Ca. They say they have 3 stages of pressure plates . 15%higher clamping force . Street,performance & Race.. 45%,50% and 60%.. They also make clutch discs with ceramic buttons and organic hi-performance lining ,whatever that is?? Which one should I order?? I have a 1.9 built up to 2.0 ,Combo cam ,Big valves,Everything ported to Rallybobs specs,38weber, XR3000 crane ignition & 2 ¼ inch exhaust. Just normal driving with some spirited fun from time to time. Hope I haven't left anything out . Any advice is greatly Appreciated. Thanks

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Stage 3 is too heavy duty but would last forever. Stage 1 is sufficient. Stage 2 will feel clunkier but grab better

I remember reading great posts from Opel nut? About heavier duty feels heavy duty. Any quality clutch is usually Sachs rebranded.

I'm speaking from heavy research only. There is a great thread on here somewhere that I read all this.

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
The S-10 clutch was designed for a V6 engine with more than double the torque of a 1.9 engine, in a 3400 lb. truck, with a 1500 lb payload capacity.

A stock S-10 clutch will handle any normal CIH engine with ease. Putting a stronger pressure plate in will just increase pedal pressure, it's unnecessary for a warmed over 2.0 liter engine. I know of at least one 3.0 liter 24 valve Opel engine running a stock S-10 clutch with no issues.

Reactions: P.J. Romano

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The S-10 clutch was designed for a V6 engine with more than double the torque of a 1.9 engine, in a 3400 lb. truck, with a 1500 lb payload capacity.

A stock S-10 clutch will handle any normal CIH engine with ease. Putting a stronger pressure plate in will just increase pedal pressure, it's unnecessary for a warmed over 2.0 liter engine. I know of at least one 3.0 liter 24 valve Opel engine running a stock S-10 clutch with no issues.
Settled then 45%. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered the S-10 45% over, organic disc & clutch kit from Clutchnet.com. Seemed pricey but they seem to know there stuff. Has anyone ordered from them & if so did it go well.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
I understand your desire for high quality, especially after looking at your car.

but why the special order clutch? are you replacing a basic one from parts store? Seems like the Sachs 95$ special is good.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your probably absolutely right. The Mechanic That has done most of the work on my car recommended this place. He races old Volvos on the side.. I probably paid way to much ($365) but I trust him so didn't want to take a chance.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,522 Posts
OK I have looked EVERYWHERE for this info.. so this thread is as good as any.

RockAuto has what looks to be the S10 clutch from 1982-1993 BUT

Found a SACHS kit that is unique to 1982 ($63 shipped..)

Some other kits list 1982 to 1984, some only 1983-1984 ( And list some other vehicles than the S10), some kits list 1983-1991, some 1990-1993, some 1983 to 1993 none 1982 to 1993 though.

I have the flywheel, but not the clutch. So if there is a difference I want to make sure I get the right one.

Which part number is the one most use ?

Also anyone have any idea why 1982 might be different ? ( Guess I will find out I couldnt say no for the price )

Also since this seemed to be the easiest thread to find, would someone sticky it to the forum so others can find it later.

·
7,522 Posts
certain engine config I thought we needed
Yes the 2.8L V-6, I'm thinking the KIT maybe only 1982 due to a pinon bearing.

BUT the pressure plate is also different up to 1984.. but probably spring pressure or something. They look the same. But its probably a issue where the 83-84 can use the lighter spring pressure plate.. but the 85 and up either can use the lighter spring but no one would want to go backwards and thus the part number difference. I may order the 85 and up one to compare the two.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Get the standard GM corporate spines.
The "best" clutch and pressure plates is very a subjective topic.

One of the finer ones....

·
7,522 Posts
Doesn't address why the difference in part numbers for the 1982 year, and in some cases 83-84. That's my real question..

I personally think a bargain SACHS clutch will be fine and have no desire to spend a dollar more than I have too.. as my budget was $500 and its about tripled that at this point.

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
Charles, I've always used the 1985 thru 1993, 2.8 V6, two-wheel drive, S-10 truck 9-1/8" diameter clutch assembly. I've set up and used many of these setups since 1992. They can take a beating behind any 1.9 (or 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, even 3.0 24-valve).

I know I'm not the first person to do this clutch setup, but I am the first one to tell how it's done on this forum (and in the OANA 20+ years ago).

·
7,522 Posts
Charles, I've always used the 1985 thru 1993, 2.8 V6, two-wheel drive, S-10 truck 9-1/8" diameter clutch assembly. I've set up and used many of these setups since 1992. They can take a beating behind any 1.9.
Ahh.. so do you know what makes the 1982-1984 different ? Will it not work ?

SACHS is listed as 9.125" as well

BTW Valeo seems to have three part numbers that are distinct..

VALEO 52332206 OE Replacement; Disc Size (in) 9 x 1 x 14 (82)

VALEO 52322203 OE Replacement; Disc Size (in) 9-1/8 x 1 x 14 ( 83 - 84 )

VALEO 52332203 OE Replacement; Disc Size (in) 9-1/8 x 1 x 14 ( 83 - 93 )

Maybe 82 is just a little smaller.. ? I guess if the pressure plate bolts on.. it will be fine I'm not racing it.

Not to confuse things.. but this is whats listed for 82.. they aren't consistent in listing sizes..

Apparently I bought the last SACHS they don't list it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
Ahh.. so do you know what makes the 1982-1984 different ? Will it not work ?

Lists it as 9.125" as well
No idea. I remember back in the day reading about 'high helix' and 'low helix' variations in the older clutches. No idea what that actually means. You're on your own there. I know what works, not what doesn't work.

Reactions: GoinManta

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
Oh pooh, get a three finger pressure plate instead of a diaphragm thingy then.....
Does anybody use a Borg and Beck style clutch anymore? Last time I saw one was on a tractor, and my buddy's 340 Mopar. Lol.

·
7,522 Posts
Thanks. I guess I will see if my $60 gamble worked or not.. if not then I will get a 85+

But if it does work then I have an answer :)

·
7,522 Posts
Does everything in your world revolve around being a tight wad?
Depends on the project, the budget and who is paying.. I only cut corners when the bang for the buck isnt there.

Being a tight wad the Manta gets its old clutch and carb back on it..

Being FRUGAL, it gets a S-10 clutch, which no matter how cheap, is better than the Opel one and definitely better than the old stock one. So why spend $300-500 for a high performance custom clutch. What more will I get over it than a upgrade to just a generic SACHS clutch for $60 ?

BTW IF I didn't work this way, there is no way all I did on Murphy gets done for just under $6000. Most could have $6000 in the engine and drivetrain alone OR the bodywork and paint, etc.. etc.. it got all that and rewired, and new dash cluster, and much much more.

So why throw more money at something that you don't have too..?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts