Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,534 Posts
:thinking: Are you saying it's ~3 lbs. lighter than the stock setup? Heck, why didn't you just say that then? :confused:

Harold

Cant just say its 3lb lighter.. wanted to show where and why.. :) Came this far after all.

Reactions: Frozen Tundra GT

·
7,534 Posts
You moved the ring mass outside of the stock configuration.
The lighter P/P comes into play.
Am I even close?
I don't know.. Im only reporting the sizes and such..

I asked the questions and except for Harold answering one of them. No one answered the others.

Getting back to the point, for experts that know how to answer.

#1 Would the pressure plate being bigger and heavier be a positive in something like a hill climb or autocross car that takes a lot of abuse ? Or a HP stealer being that much heavier ?

#2 Are the side springs and big rivets a feature difference between a SACHS clutch or models ?

#3 Is 4mm a big difference in overall height..? Would that be a manufacturer or model difference ? If it matters, how would that affect performance ?

#4 Does it really matter if the hub of the clutch disc is flush or sticks out, or where the disc is centered on the hub? ( BTW did double check the "Front Faces" mark) As long as it fits in the flywheel ?
But for prosperity I will add this to the thread so it doesnt have to be found again.

Bob mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Keep in mind if your clutch has a different diaphragm height than the later ones, the clutch arm adjustment will have to be figured out by you.

Same way I figured out that 4.25" didnt work on the S-10. Trial and error. I adjusted it 1/8" at a time until I could engage 1st gear.
This is what he was referring too..

And don't forget the factory 4.25" clutch fork adjustment won't work with the S-10 clutch.

You need to adjust to 4.75" or the clutch won't fully release. Hence the reason for the longer pivot stud.
As for the meaning of the longer pivot stud..

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/clutch...pgrades/737-s10-clutch-stud-group-buy-11.html

·
7,534 Posts
this thread should be renamed to "s10 clutch kit...Simple and easy?
At least stickied, as I think I got all the portent information in a fairly easy to find thread with as minimum amount of chatter and BS as one can expect on the forum.

·
7,534 Posts
At least stickied, as I think I got all the portent information in a fairly easy to find thread with as minimum amount of chatter and BS as one can expect on the forum.
And with Wrench around that can be the biggest challenge.

I'll tell you why
in a closed room without...

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
Flywheel Stock - 22 lbs

Flywheel Modified - 18.6 lb

Stock Pressure Plate - 10.62 lb

2.8 L Pressure Plate - 9.5 lb

(I double checked and yep.. the 2.8L though larger is lighter. )

1.9L Clutch Disc - 1.6 lb

2.8L Clutch Disc - 3.0 lb

Flywheel = -3.4 lb
PP = -1.12 lb
CD = +1.4 lb

So the S-10 Clutch setup drops -3.12 out of 34.22 or almost 10%

As for the diameters

For the record the I.D. (Not pictured) of the 1.9L clutch disk material is 5.2"

So as you see the " raised area " of the 2.8L disk just barely fits in the same diameter of the original clutch.
What's the ID of the clutch material for the S10?

Actually, to make it easier, can you post the ID and OD at the same time. Both the 1.9 and the S10?

That would help a lot.

·
7,534 Posts
What's the ID of the clutch material for the S10?

Actually, to make it easier, can you post the ID and OD at the same time. Both the 1.9 and the S10?

That would help a lot.
Using Common Core math, now show us again. Most likely none of us will understand it then.
Hmm... Need to get a ruler out.. the S10 one is larger than my caliper.

But I think I will ignore Tom and just give it to you in normal math.. our cars are too old to use common core math on.

New cars on the other hand..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hopefully getting my 2nd Ascona put back together w/2.0 and 5 speed getrag plus quite a few mods including the Aluminum flywheel from Gary's group buy a couple of years ago.
Per Bob Legere's reply to Charles I'm planning on using an S-10 clutch from 85-93 S-10 P/U w/ the 2.8 V6 engine. Does anyone disagree with this as the clutch to use?

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Hopefully getting my 2nd Ascona put back together w/2.0 and 5 speed getrag plus quite a few mods including the Aluminum flywheel from Gary's group buy a couple of years ago.
Per Bob Legere's reply to Charles I'm planning on using an S-10 clutch from 85-93 S-10 P/U w/ the 2.8 V6 engine. Does anyone disagree with this as the clutch to use?
I think everybody has done the S-10 Clutch a little different. Using the Aluminum flywheel is nice.
It's too bad I didn't jump on board with that Group buy years ago.. times were different for me than.

FWIW, I purchase a Chevy S-10 Clutch kit from Napa
(NNC MU1904-1 1991 Chevy S-10 2.8 CID V)
( and saved on shipping costs) I didn't like the throw out bearing in the kit, partly because half was made out of a composite material so I purchase and all steel one locally

I had a speed shop ( machine shop in NJ) Cut the fly wheel flat and lighten the weight on the back side, Drill and mounted the clutch for me, and most important had the whole unit speed balanced on the lath, weights added etc. cost back then was $250 but well worth it for me. The engine really Rev.'s higher and faster,, more throttle response too.. made me a happier Opeler :veryhappy Just my opinion

PS. Your definitely going to need the longer clutch pivot stud :yup:

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
I'm using a medium duty 93 S10 clutch on my aluminum flywheel. I find it's just about perfect.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Started this thread 5 years ago & still going . Cool. By the way the s10 clutch & choose with the aluminum flywheel & 5 speed have been slawless for 5 years now. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have my aluminum flywheel ordered. Where do we get these clutch pivot studs?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Wheel bolts from a M/B will work if you don't mind doing some grinding of the bolt head.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts