Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
the best stereo value for a GT is a Sony Xplod with the DSO
feature..It compensates for the poor acoustic position of the Opel speaker locations.:D

Attachments

·
2,054 Posts
Overhead Speaker System

I've found the same speaker problems you did. Our 1st GT I mounted rear speakers in the package tray under the rear window. Sounded OK as long as the windows were shut.

My son's GT, we put speakers in the back panel, below the vinyl flap for the spare tire, and facing the back of the seats. But anything like luggage in the back, and you block the sound.

So I'm looking at the Overhead Speaker System found in JC Whitney. Its got 2 woofers, 2 mid-range, and 2 tweeters and mounts to the under side of the roof.

The other option I'm looking at is replacing the GT seats with Miata seats that have the built-in speakers in the head-rests. This looks like a real clean solution.

For the system, I'm thinking of a JVC CD with MP3 capability, and a ten-disc CD changer. For the changer, I'd like to build a lockable compartment in the back. Ya know where the luggage platform is. I'd like to extend that up by 10"-12" with a hinged lockable lid. One of the big problems with the GT is the inability to secure wallets, laptops, etc.

I make it a practice not to lock my cars, so I really need a secure compartment.

Anyone else found a good solution?

·
2,054 Posts
Sony DSO

So tell me about the Sony DSO. I haven't come across this yet. How does it maximize the poor speaker position? And how much does it cost? And is it a matter of just replacing the in-dash unit, or did you have to do anything to the speakers?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sony dso

I ran across the dso by accident. the dso-(dynamic sound organizer)..is NOT the same as an equilizer.

again.... the dso is amazing.

look at the above photo from the manual.

although my speakers are hidden in the kick panels and also
in the vertical wall below my flap. ,,,my speakers sound as if they
are in my headrests or window area!

there are 3 settings on the dso..I used the 3 settting..with eac level//it got better.The dso is part of the receiver $189 total

·
335 Posts
I'm now in the market for a sound system for my 70 GT and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm way too old to keep up with the latest in stereos so I'm looking to you younger guys on this one. I've looked at the Sony dso, that takes care of the stereo, what do you suggest for the speakers, will I need an amp to run this setup. I really don't need to make the windows rattle, I just want to be able to hear my tunes clearly above the ... well, distinct song of the Opel. I was planning to mount the speakers in either the kick panels or door panels in the front and below the luggage platform behind the seats. Any suggestions from those of you who have done this? Thanks

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
speakers and amp

the sony mentioned has 45 watts a channnel..its loud enough
for me.

I think if you put speakers in the door ...it is harder and changes the original appearance of the door...plus you have to feed wires thru properly...I like the way Jimsky put his in the kick panel and I
like the way I removed the old wrinkled vinyl and covered them with stretch lyrcra...my speakers are all invisible ...I like it that way..
I like the kick panel speakers..I like the sony with the DSO...
it is well suited for the low postion of the speakers..

Just my 2 cents

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i odnt no what u guys want from a stereo but im most likely gonna get the JVC arsenal has 200 watts built in and mp3 playback capibilitys, a pretty sweet head unit for 260. also im working on doing a sub in the spare tire and found that if u get a nice carvin 200 watt sub speaker and flip ur stock aprae upside down the speaker fits right inside and is held down by its coil magnent havnet tested it in the car yet but when i get a chance ill post the results, although that subs gettin a dedicated amp like the alpine m350 for 200 bucks.

·
335 Posts
pvcar,
I definitely want MP3 capability but I'm still unclear on how it works in a car stereo. Is there a separate mp3 player that is controlled by the stereo like with a separate CD disk player or is it an internal memory in the stereo that can be programed with the mp3 files through downloads? I've got a small personal mp3 player that I can plug into the audio panel on my airplane that can then be played throughout the aircraft through the speaker and headset system, is this similar?

Bucky,
I like the lycra idea, that gives you the sound without changing the look. I'm looking at the Sony CDX-MP40 because it has the DSO and MP3 capability. Has anyone else used this stereo?

Yes, I know this will change the look of the car as it will not have the original radio anylonger, my humble apologies to the purest here. But music to me is sorta like changing the Solex out for a weber, there's a point were performance is more important than remaining perfectly stock.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PLUGGING IN YOUR PLAYER

ON MY SONY THERE IS NO FRONT JACK TO PLUG IN AN EXTERNAL PLAYER...(I would like to have this feature for my portable mini disc music player)

i believe mine will play mp3's ..just have to burn them on a CD...
then insert cd.

on kick panel verses door...why would you want to put speakers in the door?

if you got the dso...the sound is the same despite the phsical location of the speaker...

so therefore ..put the speaker where access is easier..

I dont know how big a speaker the Kick panel will accept..i used 3 1/2...jimsky usede 4in

my 2 cents

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yes thats what u have to do u burn ur mp3 files to a cd and then pop it in ur cd player and boom it plays for 4 hours on one cd. the coolest part about most of the mp3 capable cd players u can use cdr-w's so u can burn a cd with ur mp3s take it on a road trip come home erase that cd burn new mp3s on it and go on anthor road trip, i find that a good quality to mp3 capable stereo units. but like u said with the mp3 player or minidisc player u would need that little 1/8 in. input on the front to plug ur external device into. they did several years ago make a stereo u could stick a mini disc in.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I've got a Sony Walkman mini-disc player I use continuosly in the garage, and when we go to dog shows in the motorhome, I plug the unit into the tape deck and listen to the MDs while on the road and use the AC power setup at the shows. Granted there are a couple of wires going to the MD player from the cigarrette lighter and the tape deck, but it's a small price to pay for having your tunes on the road with you. I've got a MD burner and I've recorded all my CDs to MDs, so I can listen to the CDs in the house and MDs on the road, and 70 plus MDs take up a lot less room the 70 plus CDs.

Ron

·
2,054 Posts
... I'd like to build a lockable compartment in the back. Ya know where the luggage platform is. I'd like to extend that up by 10"-12" with a hinged lockable lid. One of the big problems with the GT is the inability to secure wallets, laptops, etc.

I make it a practice not to lock my cars, so I really need a secure compartment.

Anyone else found a good solution?
That quote was from 4 1/2 years ago. So it took me a long time, but I've finally added lockable storage to the GT by replacing the spare tire vinyl flap with a solid bulkhead to seal off the spare tire / jack / storage area above the gas tank. It's hinged, upholstered in light foam and black vinyl, and it locks. Now I can discreetly secure my discreetables.

The only thing left to do is to add a hydraulic strut to hold the door open. Otherwise sliding a spare tire or other stuff into, or out of, the compartment one handed could get a bit dicey.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The only thing left to do is to add a hydraulic strut to hold the door open. Otherwise sliding a spare tire or other stuff into, or out of, the compartment one handed could get a bit dicey.
Keith, if you can't find a strut at your local auto parts store, check out Camping World, they have an assortment of struts in various lengths and pressures that may suit your need.

·
2,054 Posts
Ron, thanks for the tip - it makes a lot of sense.

I bought replacement struts today for the weakened units on the Chrysler's trunk lid. I'm hoping the old units will be weak enough for use in the Opel, thereby killing two birds with one stone.

But I suspect that in the end I'll be off to the local Camping World as you suggest.

I'm happy with the way it turned out, and am pretty confident that only an Opel owner would spot that it's not original. One giveaway is the brass lock & trim ring. I would prefer it be black and somewhat hidden.

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
I'm thinking of mounting an I-pod Mp3 player and installing a 12volt power converter to 110 volt and powering wireless home speakers which could also be used to recharge the I-pod.I would hide the converter.The speakers could be small with good sound and placed where- ever and the i-pod and speakers could be put in a bag and taken out when not in use or put in another car with a converter if I wanted. That way I could keep the original radio and avoid cutting any panels.I might get hit in the head with a speaker in a panic stop but I may accept that or figure some attachment which could be removed:haha: john

·
Registered
26 Posts
Long term a car inverter will probably kill your Ipod battery (sine wave is close but not close enough) I like Alpine decks, they all have Ipod connections now I think. They have a similar technology called the "Sound Imprint" you adjust it for your car and then set it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Retrosound model one

Hi, has anyone used Retrosound products? Crutchfield is selling reciever with adjustable knobs, usb connection,etc, should fit opel dash with no cutting. I have original am tube radio for my 69 gt 1.1, but have am from 80 olds omega installed (same size, same knob location, almost same look), but would like to upgrade without cutting dash. Retrosound web site has video demos of "model one" but not a lot of specifications. any ideas?

·
2,054 Posts
Back in October of 2003 I decided to try an overhead 6-speaker arrangement I spotted in a JC Whitney catalog.

I finally ordered it in Fall of 2008, but didn't install it until last weekend. Although advertised it would "fit any car", it does not fit the GT as the roof is too narrow. Even cutting it down (the speaker housing - not the roof) didn't help.

So it's now installed on the package tray under the rear window. It has not improved the situation. I still cannot hear the music once the car is up to speed.

Bottom Line: System is not a good choice if one wishes to listen to music while the windows are rolled down and/or the rear vent windows are open.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Back in October of 2003 I decided to try an overhead 6-speaker arrangement I spotted in a JC Whitney catalog.

I finally ordered it in Fall of 2008, but didn't install it until last weekend. Although advertised it would "fit any car", it does not fit the GT as the roof is too narrow. Even cutting it down (the speaker housing - not the roof) didn't help.

So it's now installed on the package tray under the rear window. It has not improved the situation. I still cannot hear the music once the car is up to speed.

Bottom Line: System is not a good choice if one wishes to listen to music while the windows are rolled down and/or the rear vent windows are open.
I have this same system in my 75 Sportwagon, it fits and works great. I understand that every situation is different, but, in my case, it worked great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
From what I understand Retro Sound is horrible. I would not recommend getting any of their products. Everyone that was at the TOO Shakedown meet can testify to the quality of my sound system. I have a Kenwood KDC-MP538U head unit and two 4" Infinity Reference speakers mounted in the rear deck. The head unit has a USB pigtail in the back that I plug a USB thumb drive into for MP3s. I just copy the MP3s onto the thumb drive and that's it. I can scroll through the directory structure with the included remote and it displays the artist and song title (ID3 tag). I paid $126 for the head unit and $60 for the speakers from Dealer Cost Car Audio. Shipping is free for orders over $99 but it takes about 3 weeks to arrive. I paid $200 for a professional installation because the dash needed to be cut. Some of you may doubt the quality of sound two 4" speaker can generate but I'm telling you, it's good. The only time I have to jack up the volume is when the windows are down and I'm going 70+mph on the highway. Anyone who is going to Carlisle is welcome to listen for yourself.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts