Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Everyone,

I was wondering and I don’t know if this has been discussed before. What are the best things on or in a GT from specific production years? Best is subjective but let’s consider best to be generally desirable.

71-73 GT’s have the pop out quarter windows.
68-69 GT’s had flat panel rear and split front bumper, at least on some GT’s.
Later 73 GT’s had some crash reinforcement added to the doors.

·
Registered
788 Posts
68-70 Higher compression engine
72-73 3 point seatbelt harness

·
Registered
The Young One
558 Posts
Doesn’t 1972 have the strongest head?
1968-1970 doesn’t have as many emissions I think.

It just depends on what you like, like the tail lights from 1973 some people do and don’t like them.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This isn’t simply what are the differences. Not all changes were good. I think 69 and 70 had front and rear sway bars, which would be desirable parts. Think of building a GT with the best parts. What would that be? High compression pistons from 69 in a 72 engine with the 4 bearings cams but a dizzy from 69 as well.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sometimes it’s difficult to identify a year based on changes so I guess the VIN should be the primary indication. Mine has a 71 VIN beginning with 77.

Its 1970 characteristics include the rubber steering wheel, flat pistons with valve reliefs, the GM badge under the rear window, and no pop-out windows.

Its 1971 characteristics include the GT badge on the tail panel (looks original), no badges on the front fenders, shoulder belts high on post near doors, 15 hole wheels and 7 screw instrument panel.

Oddly it has an auto trans with a 897 speedometer.

I have no idea of the history other than it was stored in a heated garage for 28 years before I bought it and the odometer says 73k miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
.... I think 69 and 70 had front and rear sway bars...

... a dizzy from 69 as well.
Only Euro Opel GT's had sway bars from the factory, NOT any North American versions. A few GT's made it to this side of the pond with sway bar mounts on the differential, and even fewer with the mounts on the front LCA's.

A '69 distributor generally isn't desirable, as it had a LOT of mechanical advance (something like +45 degrees), plus separate vacuum advance and retard pots. For those inclined to take advantage of a higher initial advance while keeping 36 degrees maximum, the '75 distributor is most desirable.

While the concept of "which year's features are best?" Is interesting, the things to "do" to your car mostly depends on what you want. Every owner is going to have different perspectives on what they want.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
1972, Opel implemented steel oil pan with center, bottom drain to replace aluminum oil pan.
It was easier to drain oil, eliminating oil spilling on exhaust pipe.
Is there an increase in oil capacity between steel vs aluminum oil pans?

Dipstick tube located in engine block (tube is inside oil pan) enables easier starter removal.

·
Can Opeler
3,690 Posts
Objectively 1969 GTs are the worst despite probably being my favorite year model. 1970 is the second worst, but they get a pass because of some minor improvements.

Early 69s had the heater valve under the dash. When (not if) it leaks it’s a pain to fix.

Some 69s and 70s had the Opel AIR injection system. Those were supposedly very finicky. I have NEVER seen one intact a GT. I have a few parts of it from my 1970, but not much.

The early GTs also have the crappy c-clip axle with the bad axle bearing design. Also A poorly designed reverse light switch system that’s prone to failure, a aluminum oil pan with side drain plug., and a stupid ball stud mounting system for the cluster. There’s a few other issues I’m not thinking of. BUT they do have solid lifters and high compression which is a big plus.

The 71 is the least interesting GT. It gets pop-outs, low compression and hydraulic lifters. The end.

The 72 is the best GT in my opinion. Beefier front suspension bushing design, better rear axle design, the best 4 bearing head of the GT series, upgraded alternator, possible rear sway bar mounts, and a few other small things like the better oil pan and such.

The 73 is better than the early GTs but worse than the 72. Many 73s died from cracked heads (some late 72s too to be fair). It also had the EGR system and more emissions hoses to deal with from that and the extra fuel tank line.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
1,735 Posts
Oil pickup tube was larger on later models, oil pressure regulator changed to the bottom of oil pump.
Exhaust valves were changed on later models (early model exhaust valves could break off the heads).
Heat shield for carb. was added on later models.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Only Euro Opel GT's had sway bars from the factory, NOT any North American versions. A few GT's made it to this side of the pond with sway bar mounts on the differential, and even fewer with the mounts on the front LCA's.

A '69 distributor generally isn't desirable, as it had a LOT of mechanical advance (something like +45 degrees), plus separate vacuum advance and retard pots. For those inclined to take advantage of a higher initial advance while keeping 36 degrees maximum, the '75 distributor is most desirable.

While the concept of "which year's features are best?" Is interesting, the things to "do" to your car mostly depends on what you want. Every owner is going to have different perspectives on what they want.
I know that people look for this rear and I've looked it up in my illustration book and the Kadett, late sixties, like 67 or 68?) had it available and I would pass this info on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts