Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a BHJ honing plate so I can have my engine bored by a shop in town. I'll post some photos of it to this thread once I get it. This is one of the tools that came to my mind when the idea of a tool rental forum was created. It's a somewhat expensive tool that isn't used very often. Right now, the Opel CIH honing plate costs $566.25 plus shipping. It would be a shame for this to be used only once. BHJ states that they machine the bore to 96.01mm, I am trying to get that to be 97.01mm.

Following my own guidance, if someone wants to rent this... it will be $600 plus shipping (a return label would be shipped with it) up front, as the current cost to replace it would be $611.51. Upon receiving the honing plate back and confirming it's still in good condition, there would be a refund involved. Most tool rentals, or renting anything in general, is based on how long you have it. I'm not trying to be greedy with this and I want it to benefit others. So, I think $100 for 7 days starting from when the tracking showed the honing plate was delivered to being dropped back off at the shipping company is reasonable. That gives the machine shop 6-7 days to get your engine bored and for you to get it back to the shipper. Then it would be $20 per day after that until the return tracking number shows the package has been received by the shipping company. If the honing plate rental takes long enough, I would discuss transferring ownership. It doesn't make a lot of sense to return it if you're already paying $500 plus shipping to rent it in the end. You might as well have bought it from me at that point.

I think this is a reasonable arrangement and it can save someone from having to buy a honing plate. It doesn't have the person renting it, paying for the time it takes the shipping company to deliver the honing plates. This could easily add a week each way to the timeframe. I'm buying this tool anyways because I need it, so if I can recoup some of that cost then great.

Using the shipping cost I paid ($45.26, each way) and the machine work being done within 7 days ($100 rental charge) and no damage, the net cost to rent this would be $190.52 as an example. The shipping cost would be whatever the exact amount is at that time. The upfront cost in this example would be $645.26, with a refund being sent to you for $454.74 with the return shipping cost being covered at that time. Return shipping is not charged up front incase the situation results in you buying it. Photos of the honing plate would be sent to you just prior to shipping it and I will want photos of it showing its condition when you receive it (in case it was damaged during shipping to you) and right before you pack it up to ship it back to me (in case it was damaged while you had it or in case it was damaged during shipping back to me). It's best to not be stuck questioning when / who damaged something that was barrowed. I like to solve problems based on facts and pictures are a solid way to make sure this goes smoothly.

If this isn't an arrangement you're comfortable with, then I guess you can buy one from BHJ, create one yourself, or bore the engine without a honing plate and accept the out-of-roundness that happens when you go to bolt down the cylinder head.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, someone was lucky to get one for free. At least now there is an option for people to not have to buy it.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
Well, someone was lucky to get one for free. At least now there is an option for people to not have to buy it.
The ‘someone’ is All-Cape Machine, which is the go-to machine shop for performance Opels in the northeast. They do all my racing cylinder head machine work.

They already have their engine dyno set up to do CIH engines, the honing plate is a bonus. Now anyone who sends their Opel blocks to them for machine work has the option to use the honing plate.

Reactions: Gary and Autoholic

·
Opel Key Master
5,303 Posts
The machine shop I use has a honing plate, from a member here, and the second he needs it, its his. I would say use the thing, and then put it up for sale. Most people that would pay the $600 in exchange for a tool rental, can buy their own. Now you got to remember, 7 days? I think most machine shops are going to have the block there a bit longer than 7 days, so figure a month at best. Again, I would use it, and then resell it.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just selling it is an idea I have thought about. Somewhat like the bucket of keys, but each person that wants it has to buy it. I don’t live anywhere near shops that work on Opels often and shipping my block would be just as expensive. Not really interested in sending a boat anchor through UPS to have it machined. So, I am open to figuring out the best way to deal with a traveling honing plate.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spoke to BHJ and this honing plate will have a 97.2mm bore. The recommendation is to have 0.03” of clearance for the largest bore diameter and no more than 0.09” of clearance from the smallest bore diameter. So this honing plate covers bore diameters from 95mm to 97mm, which is pretty much any CIH rebuild. It’s also been a long time since they made one of these. Lead time is 3 weeks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just selling it is an idea I have thought about. Somewhat like the bucket of keys, but each person that wants it has to buy it. I don’t live anywhere near shops that work on Opels often and shipping my block would be just as expensive. Not really interested in sending a boat anchor through UPS to have it machined. So, I am open to figuring out the best way to deal with a traveling honing plate.
PM me when you finished with it. I'll buy it from you.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, it looks like BHJ was able to produce this faster than they told me. It was shipped today and should be delivered next week. I'll be able to get started on building my engine soon enough. I have a few shelves full of parts for this engine. :)
PM me when you finished with it. I'll buy it from you.
I will definitely contact you once I'm done with it. While the original idea behind this thread won't happen, at least by me, I think it's important to have a honing plate our community can use. Maybe the best plan is to just transfer ownership as people need it.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
85 Posts
Is it standard machine shop practice to use a fixture like this to hone any engine? I did not realize that a fixture was needed for just honing a cylinder bore. Thanks.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Is it standard machine shop practice to use a fixture like this to hone any engine? I did not realize that a fixture was needed for just honing a cylinder bore. Thanks.
It’s not required but if you want it done right, you use a honing plate. When you torque down a cylinder head, that deforms the cylinders a little. A honing plate allows you to deform the cylinders as you go to machine them. So when you torque down the cylinder head, your bores are not out of round.

This isn’t something you could see with your own eyes, the distortion is rather small. When measuring a cylinder to 0.001” however, a small amount of distortion does impact ring seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts