Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been told repeatedly that a new blank cam doesn't exist or at the least to find one is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I was just told that what looked like the best cam I had wasn't worth regrinding. He then asked me if I wanted one of the two fresh billet cams he had. When I picked the phone up off the floor I told him yes I do. A fresh billet ground to my specs for 150 bucks pretty funny huh?

·
Super Moderator
14,065 Posts
For the most part they don't exist, or more specifically they are not longer being made in this country. There used to be two foundries that made them, one got bought out by a larger company and they immediately canned all the 'oddball' low volume cam cores from their lineup. The other company made them for a couple more years, but then they succumbed to the same reasoning, the volume wasn't high enough. Ironically, about 80% of their production went back to Europe for performance camshaft companies over their! I've heard there are a few US cam companies with a small 'stash' of these new cores, but not many.

Congrats on buying up what is indeed a rare commodity in this country! Much better to have a new billet when doing a performance cam anyway, the base circle is quite a bit larger....

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
So, if their are no new billets available, where do the cores come from when you buy a cam from Gil?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you do realize I only took one of 2 and they have one more for alot less money than can be had anywhere I know of. I called them again just to check and the 150 is ground not just for the blank. After deducting thier standard grind price that puts the Billet cam price at 75 bucks. He joked and asked if it was priced too low but I did get him locked into that price.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Talk about "the Luck of the Irish" - maybe you should take "dibs" on the second cam blank for the next performance cam you need!
That bit of luck is going to make your new camshaft just that - NEW!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually a friend is picking it up tomorrow. He remembered who I use for cams and lives in the same town. I don't think he has a need for it right now but he understood what a prize it is and I think is just picking it up for safe keeping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.