Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey on my new gt the blinker/hazard relay clicks but niether the front or rear lights blink also are the front amber lights supposed to stay on or not

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
The U.S. GTs use the round orange light under the front bumper for the front turn signal. This is also used as a parking light(it is a dual filimant bulb). The curved light on the front of the car is a parking light only.

When you tried the turnsignal, did one or both lights light up on your dashboard(the right and left green indicator lights)?

If none of the bulbs light up anywhere on the car, then check the bulbs and also make sure your ground wire is connected.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think its a grond but no indicatos on the dash and the two orange lights on the front stay on while the back lights dont do anything

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
If you have a spare "blinker unit" Try that. Make sure the parking lights are off and the bulb is not in backwards.

Are both front lights on at the same time or just the left one when you signal left and the right one when you signal right?

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here what i have found
when i have the head lights on both front lights are on constant
and sometimes if im lucky the rear left turn signal will work
i turn headlights off and both front turnsignals work as well as the rear left i think the right rear might have a bad bulb
so i am very confused now

·
Opeler
58 Posts
I had similar problems with my 72gt and they all cleared up after I rewired ground wires directly back to the negative terminal of the battery.

Everything gets real weird when the ground goes bad because the power backtracks through the other bulbs back to a good ground.
Also the flasher will not flash unless it has sufficent load. This is designed to alert you to a burned out bulb.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the flasher relay clicks so i know it works and also i shows but what exactly did you do skidoug

·
Opeler
58 Posts
Josh,

I had multiple problems that included bad grounds, I ran all new ground wires.
Corroded contacts in the fuse box area that got fixed when I pulled my headlight relay out and plugged it back in.
Broken flasher switch that took me several tries on e-bay to buy another, that was not the same so I had to take mine apart and swap parts from the ones I bought. This also caused alot more problems because after I took the switch out I forgot which wires went where and it's not a single plug, instead separate wires.
I also had some problems when I first got the car, with the switches in the headlight rotating unit that cause the relay to be energized. After operating the headlights and doing some readjusting the headlights are working fine again.
I have now replaced the taillights and turn signals with LED units which only use about 10% of the power that incandesant bulbs use and henceforth not enough power to get the thermal blinker unit that is stock to flash. It would only power up the turn signal and then cross feed the opposite light. This I don't fully understand because LED's only power one way since they are diodes, however it may have crossfeed through the dash indicators which also both illuminate. In the end I jumpered a regular 1157 bulb into the circuit on each side and threw them into the back. Since wired both filaments into the blinker curcuit it now drew enough wattage to flash the signals and everything works now.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i just need to run new grounds to the body from all the light socket and it should work i also plan to ground the yellow wire or something for the relay hope it works i will be driving tonight

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
I agree with the above posts. Make sure you have everything grounded properly otherwise you can get some strange results. Let hear how it worked

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will get to the blinker problem at 5 today right now i am hiding from the owner of the place i quit and he knows where i live

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first off dont ever let a body man do electrical work
ok here what i found
the reason y the right rear light didnt work was because it had 2 grounds going to it

the front lights didnt blink because he put the hot wire for the low side of the light on the high side and vice versa so when you had the headlights on the low filament couldnt out shine the high filament i switched that not its fine
the light on the dash worked on the right but on the left it didnt i had to chanhe the socket out
so now i have blinkers but sometimes now when i turn on the right turn signalboth dash lights come on so there must still be a bad ground but it works for now

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
I also had a problem with the double lights on the dash after bringing my car out of storage. Luckly I had a spare flasher unit and it corrected the problem. I removed the old "square" flasher and replaced it with a "round" style. both stock units. I also agree to with the other responce and check out the thread on this subject matter.

I'm glad you are making progress and I agree, don't let a body shop work on electrical problems:)

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i said dont let a body guy do your electrical because i bought the car from a guy that owns a body shop
the car has a great paint job he just couldnt setup lights
i have a round flasher relay but i will go buy a new one if you think it will fix it
auto zone sells them i dk the part # but it has the right prong setup and is square

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Do you get the double lights when the engine is on or off? Is your battery fresh? Are you using a battery charger for your electrical source. A dip in voltage or using a battery charger for your your electrical source can also give you double lights. If it does it with your engine running and the Amp meter is at 0 or above, then I would try a new "blinker" unit.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i think i need to put my new battery in the car i am using the alternater to charge the battery but i know when i use the left turn signal i can see the ampmeter flucuating back and forth a little but i will just put my new battery in also because it was having a hard time starting today when the car was warm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts