Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Opeler
58 Posts
I had similar problems with my 72gt and they all cleared up after I rewired ground wires directly back to the negative terminal of the battery.

Everything gets real weird when the ground goes bad because the power backtracks through the other bulbs back to a good ground.
Also the flasher will not flash unless it has sufficent load. This is designed to alert you to a burned out bulb.

· Opeler
58 Posts
Josh,

I had multiple problems that included bad grounds, I ran all new ground wires.
Corroded contacts in the fuse box area that got fixed when I pulled my headlight relay out and plugged it back in.
Broken flasher switch that took me several tries on e-bay to buy another, that was not the same so I had to take mine apart and swap parts from the ones I bought. This also caused alot more problems because after I took the switch out I forgot which wires went where and it's not a single plug, instead separate wires.
I also had some problems when I first got the car, with the switches in the headlight rotating unit that cause the relay to be energized. After operating the headlights and doing some readjusting the headlights are working fine again.
I have now replaced the taillights and turn signals with LED units which only use about 10% of the power that incandesant bulbs use and henceforth not enough power to get the thermal blinker unit that is stock to flash. It would only power up the turn signal and then cross feed the opposite light. This I don't fully understand because LED's only power one way since they are diodes, however it may have crossfeed through the dash indicators which also both illuminate. In the end I jumpered a regular 1157 bulb into the circuit on each side and threw them into the back. Since wired both filaments into the blinker curcuit it now drew enough wattage to flash the signals and everything works now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.