Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone,

can someone please show me where the block's coolant drain plug is located?
I'm changing the head gasket in my ascona B and would like to know where said plug is located.

Also, my engine is the CIH 16N.

Thank you for your time! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,242 Posts
Hey there everyone,

can someone please show me where the block's coolant drain plug is located?
I'm changing the head gasket in my ascona B and would like to know where said plug is located.

Also, my engine is the CIH 16N.

Thank you for your time! :cool:
All I've ever done when changing a head gasket was to remove the coolant hose from the water pump. It's below the head and will drain enough coolant that you should be able to remove the head without coolant getting into the cylinders.

HTH,

Harold

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
All I've ever done when changing a head gasket was to remove the coolant hose from the water pump. It's below the head and will drain enough coolant that you should be able to remove the head without coolant getting into the cylinders.

HTH,

Harold
Exactly this.

As far as I've witnessed, the only way to completely drain the block of coolant is to remove the water pump and tip the engine on it's face. Otherwise, the lower hose connection on the water pump is as much as you can get out.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,991 Posts
And if you still want to use the drain plug it's under the inlet / exhaust manifold near the oil pressure switch. But be careful it may be rusted so that you wont be able to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
14,161 Posts
There is a drain plug at the right rear of the block, but most are so rusted it won't move without a lot of heat. I replace these drain plugs with a drain valve whenever I rebuild an engine, but I would not try to remove one while the engine is in the car.

https://flic.kr/p/nwLZVN

Reactions: diogocampogrande
1 - 5 of 5 Posts