Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused on how the blower system should function. Currently if you toggle the fan switch nothing happens no mater what positions the "air direction" and "heat" sliders are in. However, the drivers side vent, when opened by the switch below it, blows air when the car is moving. Is this vent part of the system? I am going to start looking into the blower problem as I want heat when it starts to get cold in the next few months. Any normal bugs I should check for?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
If you have a GT, and if I remember correctly, the fan control has two speeds, feeding power thru a resistor mounted on the underside of the heater box, above the passengers shins. Maybe the connectors have been loosened. In my case, the blower motor itself was frozen - the bearing rusted from too much wet seeds and crap from a rodent. After cleaning it out, I managed to get it working properly. Removing the dash was necessary to pull out the heater box assembly.

Hope this helps,
Bob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Aaron, the two vents in the dash panel, on the driver's side and the pax side are fresh air vents that allow air from the area below the windshield to come inside the car, the handles below the vents are not switches but levers to open and close the vents manually. The heater and defroster controls have no input to the heater motor, it is, as stated, operated by the switch on the vertical console. Double check the wires above the passenger footwell behind the glove box, they could have been disconnected inadvertantly. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
The fan functions no matter where the sliders are set, when the ignition is on. But the plenum is also pressurized by air movement when the car is driving, which will blow out the side vents. It sounds like the fan is seized, or something is wrong in the wiring (blown fuse, disconnected terminal...). Check out the wiring simply by putting a test light to the two terminals on the heater fan in the upper part of the passenger foot well, and try both switch positions.

But it might be the fan itself. Often the fender above the fan gets rusted through (there is a ledge in the wheel well, just behind and above the passenger side wheel), and dirt and debris falls on top of the heater fan. Look in the fender well and (carefully) run your hand along the ledge to see if there is a hole there.

If so, you will need to remove the dash face, remove the dash pad (ugly job!), and remove the heater assembly. Clean out the fan and it should work, and then seal up the hole above.

HTH

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I have just updated the old rusted through pipes from the heater core with a solid aluminum plate with 90degree brass fittings and industrial heater hose (I'll post pics if I ever find out how to with my camera phone). It has been a while since I removed the assembly, and there are 3 wires hanging out of the car where the heater goes. Two hook up to the male connectors on the heater, but I dont know where the third wire goes. It has a grommet hanging off of it if that helps. Does anyone know where the wire goes?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Matt, Due to the fact I still have my dash out, it was simple to check out the heater wiring. That one wire you referred to goes through a hole to the rear and right of the heater. It goes to the door jamb switch for the dome lite. HTH.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, you are talking about the hole that is about 2 inches from the weatherstripping and almost directly under the passenger side vent? That hole looks like the grommet is a match and that it would go to the door jamb switch, but i do not remember having to remove that switch. But the hole I have just described is the one you are talking about right? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Matt, if the wire has gray insulation, it goes to the door jam switch. If that's the case, you'll have to fish the wire through the hole you referred to, pull the jam switch, and then through the door jam switch hole, hook it up to the switch and put the switch back in the hole. HTH.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The wire with the grommet has black insulation in my car, hope it's the right one. Last couple of questions before re-installation: 1. Do the wires from the blower motor go through any type of hole in the plastic case of the assembly or do they just run underneath straight to the male connectors (this will pinch the wires in between the plastic case and the steel shelf in the car that it sits on)?. 2. Do the three wires we discussed go through any type of hole, or do you just pull the slack out of them so that they dont hang on the passenger legs (there is a lose knot tied in my wires)?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Matt, sorry about not getting back to you sooner, anyway here's a pic of Willit"s heater in the box and associated wiring. There is a clamp at the bottom inboard nut, where the ground wire attaches and the wire is looped in that on mine. HTH.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Look at these possible problems with your blower. The connections at the resistor become rusty and bad connections result. The motor is probably seized and needs to be taken apart and lubricated. Clean all the connections until they shine like gold. This is best done with a dremel tool with a stainless steel brush on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts