Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question I hope someone can clear up for me.
Was there really a Manta version with an official name of Blue Max or was this a "reference" name for a Luxus because certain models were almost all blue?
I ask because I have not found any reference to a Blue Max in any listings for parts or history on Mantas. My 73 Manta was called a Blue MAx by the former owner but everything I see and have read points to a Luxus. It's all blue except for the vinyl roof which has been replaced and the center console and door trim which has been painted black but is blue underneath. The upholstery is blue and am sure it has been replaced. It does not have a sunroof which I understand was an option on Luxus.

Anyone who can clear this up for me I would appreciate it. Pictures are posted in the members gallery.
Rick

·
530 Posts
The Manta Blue Max factory brochure I have shows a '73 Manta in Strato Blue paint with blue Luxus interior, Sun Roof, blue Vinyl Roof, automatic transmission, Blue Max emblems (located beneath the Manta emblem on front fenders where the 1900 or Luxus badge is normally found), tinted windshield, and 4 spoke sport wheels with whitewall tires. According to the brochure, when you ordered the blue Luxus with automatic and vinyl top, you got the sun roof, tinted windhield, and whitewalls at no extra charge. I hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Scrapman;
Based just on what you described, you have a Luxus. The "Blue Max" was a Luxus, with all the options, including the sunroof, and a set of decals stating "Blue Max" but, most of these were just thrown in the glove box. I had a 73 Luxus, with ALL the described features of the Blue Max, all I lacked was the decals. But, since I was the 3rd, or 4th owner, they had long disappeared :(

·
Opeler
13 Posts
Since we are talking about Blue Maxs, in my search for a Manta I found what I believe is an actual '73 Blue Max in Seattle. It's blue with vinyl top, auto, and has a sunroof. It's a two owner car that's all original and supposedly has little to no rust. The engine suffered an oil pan hit and the owner, an older lady, believes the engine is damaged. Besides that, she drove it everyday.

It's not what I am looking for but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll pass on the seller's info.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Charles....are you going to check this one out.....or am I looking at another Opel logistics exercise??? :p

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Well...if the old eyes haven't failed me completely, I'd say those are Blue Max decals I see on the trunklid and the fenders....so there's a Manta worth spending some money on....
Any idea how much the seller was looking for??

·
Opeler
13 Posts
Rionart said:
Well...if the old eyes haven't failed me completely, I'd say those are Blue Max decals I see on the trunklid and the fenders....so there's a Manta worth spending some money on....
Any idea how much the seller was looking for??
I'm not sure. They have been sitting on it with the broken motor for about 5 years so I think they are motivated to sell. PM if you want the sellers info as I have not gotten their permission to post it here.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Rarety

Mikesta said:
what makes the blue max so special?/?
As Charles will attest, primarily rarety.

In general, keep in mind that Opels were always looked at as "entry level", econo cars and, as such, typically saw a quick trip to the local junk yard once they began to have relatively minor problems, by today's standards anyway.

Definitely not cars that most owners would go out of their way to keep beyond a certain expense level . . . a lot lower than for similar American iron of the time. Much less respected from the get-go than US models.

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue Max or Luxus

So from, I can read into all this and the photos, it appears that they are very little different and the majority of the difference is a set of decals. Sounds suspiciously like marketing. Whether mine is a Luxus or a Max doesn't really make a difference to me since they have so little difference. The only difference I see between mine and the pictures and some of your descriptions is mine doesn't have the sunroof or blue vinyl roof since it has been replaced with a white vinyl. All else is the same. I appreciate all the feedback.
Rick :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
blue max

McCall said:
Since we are talking about Blue Maxs, in my search for a Manta I found what I believe is an actual '73 Blue Max in Seattle. It's blue with vinyl top, auto, and has a sunroof. It's a two owner car that's all original and supposedly has little to no rust. The engine suffered an oil pan hit and the owner, an older lady, believes the engine is damaged. Besides that, she drove it everyday.

It's not what I am looking for but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll pass on the seller's info.
can you tell me how to get in touch with her :)

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
automatic

scrapman said:
So from, I can read into all this and the photos, it appears that they are very little different and the majority of the difference is a set of decals. Sounds suspiciously like marketing. Whether mine is a Luxus or a Max doesn't really make a difference to me since they have so little difference. The only difference I see between mine and the pictures and some of your descriptions is mine doesn't have the sunroof or blue vinyl roof since it has been replaced with a white vinyl. All else is the same. I appreciate all the feedback.
Rick :)
Is yours an automatic? :confused:

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
We picked up my son's first car today, and we're wondering if it's a Blue Max? No decals, but it's a '73 Manta Luxus in strato blue (has the Luxus badging), automatic, blue interior with corduroy and wood trim door panels, blue vinyl top still in good condition with factory sunroof, and white wall tires (includes what looks like original spare). The car has been in the same family since 1974, and has only 65k miles. Dash is crack-free, original window rubber is in remarkably good shape, and even the original AM radio sounds crisp and new. Battery tray and underside is very solid, frame rails are still good and solid. It has a few dents and dings here and there, especially in the front valence area, but overall it seems to be a nice, unmolested survivor. It runs and drives like a 65k car should.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Dude;
This brings back very fond memories, as my 73 was an EXACT copy of this one. It's my understanding, and there are those that will correct/add to the story, that the actual "Blue Max" decals were thrown in the glovebox for the dealer/owner to put, which many did not as they never knew the decals were there. I hope T-man is as happy with his as I was with mine, LOVE the sunroof cars!!!!:yup:

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Great find!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.