Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1971 GT
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a BMW engine & transmission on Ebay located in Blaine Washington.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the 1985 318 came with the Getrag 240.

For $50, you can junk the motor.

Item # is 7986244499

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
CDN OpelNut said:
There is a BMW engine & transmission on Ebay located in Blaine Washington.
I stand to be corrected, but I believe the 1985 318 came with the Getrag 240.
For $50, you can junk the motor.
Item # is 7986244499
You stand corrected. The BMW Getrag internals (which if I recall correctly is actually a 245) are the same, but the bell-housing and driveshaft output are totally incompatible.

·
1971 GT
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith - I got the info from a lengthy article on BMW 2002 tranny swaps. It said in part:

Not listed here is the Getrag 240 overdrive 5 speed found on the '83 320i and '84-'85 318i, as it is almost identical, ratio-wise to the 245/4. It is also of a lighter, weaker design than the 245/4. It is therefore not a good choice when mated to a modified performance engine. Installing one in a 2002 is also slightly more of a challenge, due to it's extra width and lack of an available 4 bolt output flange.

I do not have first-hand knowledge of this but they seem to be of the opinion that the 240 was used in these few model years.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
it may have been the internals were the same but the case for the bmw g/box is no good for the opel is what i think keith is saying and i would agree

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
CDN OpelNut said:
Keith - I got the info from a lengthy article on BMW 2002 tranny swaps. It said in part:
Not listed here is the Getrag 240 overdrive 5 speed found on the '83 320i and '84-'85 318i, as it is almost identical, ratio-wise to the 245/4. It is also of a lighter, weaker design than the 245/4. It is therefore not a good choice when mated to a modified performance engine. Installing one in a 2002 is also slightly more of a challenge, due to it's extra width and lack of an available 4 bolt output flange.
I do not have first-hand knowledge of this but they seem to be of the opinion that the 240 was used in these few model years.
Interesting. Perhaps the drive shaft IS the same? But I doubt the bell-housing is compatible, as the 240 and 245 used an integral bell-housing (versus the separable housing in the 265), and the BMW and Opel engine back plates are totally different. Perhaps you could ask the vendor to pull the tranny and show the bell-housing bolt configuration, drive-shaft and input shaft size and splines and such. If the input splines are compatible and the clutch fork/release bearing is properly spaced, then a mating plate could be made to attach it to the engine (similar to what had been done to mate a T-5 to the CIH engine by MantaPart)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts