101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Good show!

·
Opeler
1,435 Posts
Volvo calipers and Honda rotors machined to fit the Opel hub and spindle. I also modified the non-abs Volvo calipers to allow single brake line operation.
Please excuse my set up. I am an amateur at best.
View attachment 428170
View attachment 428168
View attachment 428171 View attachment 428172 View attachment 428174 View attachment 428173
Man, there are more holes in those hubs than In O.J. Simpson's alibi! :)

Just kidding, nice job! I have a like set-up with the single-port ABS Volvo calipers, but haven't been able to use them yet. I wish I had your vertical mill when I did mine. I just had to nibble away at the caliper mounts with a grinder until the rotor centered up. Got NAPA to enlarge the rotor centers when I bought my new rotors.
Will you have to modify the pistons any to get adequate fluid flow between the two cylinders?

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Man, there are more holes in those hubs than In O.J. Simpson's alibi! :)

Just kidding, nice job! I have a like set-up with the single-port Volvo calipers, but haven't been able to use them yet. I wish I had your vertical mill when I did mine. I just had to nibble away at the caliper mounts with a grinder until the rotor centered up. Got NAPA to enlarge the rotor centers when I bought my new rotors.
Will you have to modify the pistons any to get adequate fluid flow between the two cylinders?
I’ve seen a YouTube video and a couple posts on a Facebook group where people have opened up the ports between the cylinders without piston modification. The pistons are tight against the back. However the stock bleeders use the same behind the piston path so I believe it will work.

I wish it didn’t have so many holes as well. I tried laying it out to take up the threaded holes but the new pattern just wasn’t wide enough. It probably would have been fine. But I chose this way instead.

I’ll just call them speed holes. ;)

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I bled them today and everything seems to be working correctly. Still won't be able to fully test feel until i get swaybar bushings.

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I haven’t forgotten about this. Had several set backs in the last few weeks.
My daily driver spun a rod bearing at 240k miles so I swapped in a bigger engine. I also fried the electronic throttle body circuit on the ecu for this project due to a faulty ground. Luckily it has provisions for 2 and I can swap over to the other.
One positive note. I did finally get some sway bar bushings on order and they will be here hopefully by the end of the week. There could be road testing this summer after all.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
What are the old vs newer engine specs in your civic ????

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
What are the old vs newer engine specs in your civic ????
K20Z3 is the original engine
197hp/131tq
the new engine is
JDM K24A-RBB (Odyssey Absolute)
200hp/170tq

I Moved over the k20 intake manifold and higher angle VTC cam gear to the new engine and added a header and cold air intake. I am using Hondata flash pro to tune it. Once the manta is drivable I will plan some dyno time for both cars to see if the mods picked any power up over the stock k24.

On the manta side of things...

I received the sway bar bushes and have installed them. I worked on an adjustable pan hard bar today. That is the last suspension related project I have left.
hopefully I’ll remember to take pictures next time im out there.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Looken good

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Moved up to a 14” fan on the radiator and it keeps the engine cool while idling in a 90+ Degree barn. I drove it t about 5 miles today. So far so good. Several things need tidying up. The radiator and fan are keeping it cool so far. It’s just on the wastegate spring right now at around 6psi. Going to go through nuts and bolts, tidy up the wiring and test drive it some more tomorrow.
Sorry for the vertical video. Was a little excited and only took the one video as I was trying to pay attention to everything.

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
well I already had my first problem.
I turned the boost up with the timing map too far advanced and cracked a piston. I ended up installing a used piston with new standard rings. the bore ended up being clean with no scoring. I also installed a slightly thicker cometic mls headgasket and arp head studs for a little more insurance It’s back on the road as of today. I drove it tonight for a couple hours on low boost with timing pulled back to make sure it’s good. I think I need some dyno time to get the timing map set up. I also ordered a new revision of the same ecu I was running so I can get some knock sensors installed.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts