Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
body damage

Had a turn of bad luck, Tue. during the latest snow storm an older gentleman in a seville rearend my 70 GT, damage to the GT under the left bumper and quarter panel taking in the seam between the two. The worst part of this I know him, my GT as of late fall his not been driven, doing winter upgrades,lights,fuel inj, headliner,window rubbers. The car was park under the canopy at a buddy gas station we push it in every night. Now the problem how can you get a good est on damage to a 35 year old car.

nhopel brused in the snow.

· Super Moderator
9,837 Posts
nhopel;
You're just going to have to keep going to shop after shop till you find one that is confident about working on it. Sorry it happened, I've been there myself. :(

· Registered
3,460 Posts

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
BQS4 said:
nhopel;
You're just going to have to keep going to shop after shop till you find one that is confident about working on it. Sorry it happened, I've been there myself. :(
Gene is absolutely correct. Most shops that would even consider working on your GT won't touch it unless you supply the new parts, they know Opels are difficult to source sheetmetal for. If you lined up all the parts ahead of time, it might break the ice between you and a potential workshop.

Bob

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
If you are willing to bring the car to New York, I know a shop that is highly capable of the job. You might not have the car for a few months, but the shop does extremely high quality work, and any part you can't get, this guy can make! He is going to do my GT after I have it mechanically finished. He has already brought a VW Ghia back from the dead for me. :D

· Banned
3,910 Posts
I'm not real clear on where it got hit but I agree with the idea of watching Ebay for parts. It took me months to source a rear trim strip. Original lights are just as hard to get too.

If you can post a picture I can look in the shed for steel. I imagine it hit up high so you never know.

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Contact me.. with good high resolution pictures, description of work done, any customizations, improvements, condition on a scale of one to ten of:

Paint
Interior
Trim
Lenses
Glass
Engine
Mechanics

Be conservative..

I can set you up with an appraisal to deal with the insurance agency.

Charles

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
The shop in New York is in Bedford Hills, real close to Clinton Country

· Opeler
16 Posts
gt body steel

I just joined this forum and am new to computers, so forgive me i don't seem to know what I'm doing. I noticed you mentioned to another member you were going to look in your shed for steel. does this mean you have panels? I am looking for quarters for my 69 gt. Is this something that can be found often if ever?
nobody said:
I'm not real clear on where it got hit but I agree with the idea of watching Ebay for parts. It took me months to source a rear trim strip. Original lights are just as hard to get too.

If you can post a picture I can look in the shed for steel. I imagine it hit up high so you never know.

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Found, Yes..

Often.. No. Any sheetemetal you find in the US for the GT is cut off of donor cars. They do have oversized replacement panels in europe. But the cost is extreme and the quality is marginal. Which is probably why Opel GT Source doesnt carry those parts.

As for found.. almost any part anyone needs is sitting in the garage or attic of someone on this forum (Or on the classicopel mailing list) All you have to do is ask. Some parts are rarer than others, and finding someone willing to part with a part they have is another subject as well.

As for your need of rear quarters, and since you are new to the forum (and possbily Opels), I will try to give a quick unbiased look at the Opel parts sources. Since there are a lot of mixed messages about a few of the companies on the forum.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Opel GT Source - http://www.opelgtsource.com

They have a huge selection of NOS (New Old Stock) parts, new, reproduction and some used parts. Thier engine, brake, and misc mechanical parts selection is really complete, they have most parts for the 1.1L and 1.9L, GT, Manta and Kaddett. Althoguh they primarily support the GT, they do carry a few Kadett and Manta specific trim and suspension parts. They have invested a lot of money and time into reproduction of GT trim and mechanical parts, they have reproduced all the lenses, most the rubber, etc... not only are the reproductions affordable, they are of some of the best quality I have seen in non-OEM reproduction parts for any make or model.

Pros: Quick, Friendly, Easy communication, lot of new and reproduction parts that are hard or impossible to get anywhere else.

Cons: No sheetmetal, few used parts (Mainly only parts that are not available any other way, window regulators, etc.. )

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OpelUSA - http://www.USAOPEL.COM

Jim at OpelUSA is also easy to get in touch with, and does have a decent selection of primarily used and some NOS parts. Though not having been to his place I can't say exactly what he has in stock at any given time. His prices can seem to be high at times, and his knowledge Opels outside of the GT is not as deep as some other Opel businesses, but if you know what you want he can usually help you.

Pros: Easy to get in touch and work with, quality of parts is as he describes on the phone.

Cons: Limited Opel knowledge on non-GTs, Pricing a bit high on some parts

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Opels Unlimited - Opelsunl.com

OU has undoubtedly the largest selection of old sheetmetal, NOS, and other Opel parts for all Opels imported in the US. I have been told they have even started producing fiberglass rear quarter panels, hoods and other parts. The biggest problem with Opels Unlimited is that they are a pain to get ahold of, and then when you do, delivery times can sometimes take a while. What I have seen from them in the past is if the part is a fairly common part, or easy for Todd to get his hands on the quicker you get the part. But if you need him to cut a car for a specific piece you need, that can take a lot of calling, bugging and waiting.

Speaking of specifics, be sure to be clear what you want in the part you are buying. Case in point with rear quarters... don't ask him for a nice rear quarter with no rust and expect it perfect. It may have dents, and patches of bondo in it.. they are used parts afterall. If you want a PERFECT rear quarter, no dents, no bondo and no rust, tell him that... you have to be VERY specific... Mainly because, as we all are, he is dealing with a limited number of cars and parts left. For the sake of argument say a quarter panel from him may run $50-$500. If you only want to spend $150 and have a rust free fender he will get you that.. (With the bondo and dents), if you want a PERFECT one, thats going to run $500.

That said, once you get to know Todd, he truly is not a bad guy. His biggest problem is a lack of willingness to learn the computer, get up before 2PM PST, and hire good help. Speaking of which, best time to reach him is between 5pm and 10pm PST. Those are as close as you will ever get to what could be called "normal business hours".

Pros: Huge Inventory

Con: Hard to get in touch with, quality of parts varies widely at times (If you are very specific its usually not a issue).

>>>>>>

Goin Manta - http://www.OpelManta.com

Hmm... review myself... I guess I can do that.

Simply, I can be slower that a turd in below zero temperature. Mainly due to the fact I carry little to no stock. I import almost everything. Secondly, I am VERY specific, unlike Gil at Opel GT Source, who supports the GT, but helps the Manta and Kadett people, I don't.

OK well I do, all but the GT people that is, I just send you guys to the other sources. I also do not deal in engine, brakes, or any of the other mechanical parts, there are sources for those parts already. I specialize in Opel Manta/Ascona A Sheetmetal, trim and rubber parts. I also will hunt down parts for gray market Opels, Kadetts, etc..

Because of my low volume, and volatile Euro exchange rate my prices are ridiculous. Even to me... recently I have been selling the imported parts at cost (or as in the case of the last order, once imports and customs was done with me, I lost money on everything).

I do it as a hobby, to support my hobby. About 40% of the last order from Germany I did was for my personal needs. :)

Pros: Easy to get in touch with, helpful, can get the impossible to find parts for Mantas, and gray market cars.

Cons: Slow and too expensive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hope that helps.

Charles

· Opeler
16 Posts
opel sheetmetal

Thankyou for your time to reply to my questions of quarters. You are right, I am new to WORKING on my opel. I have owned it for 3 years and am just starting to get things in order. I must have really got lucky when I bought the car, it came with OEM fenders, fender extensions, lower front pan, and some other stuff. I will save the info. and make some calls. My quarters are repairable, but I don't want to put multiple patches on each quarter. Do you know of another vehicle's quarter that will work for the wheel opening? Have good one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.