Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic from under my 69 GT. Was this a body in white I've read about? Currently it's a body in rust.
IMG_2303.JPG

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well after all, white is all colors. But it does appear that someone sprayed at least the underside of the car white at some time. What color is the interior surface, under the floor mats, in the hidden area, etc.? What is the enamel code on the chassis plate?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,787 Posts
Probably. Look under the carpets and behind the door panels for more evidence. People seldom repaint the insides of their cars. White is a very rare and classy color. I personally feel that bright colors show off the details and look best on GT's. Others will obviously disagree.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,046 Posts
As far as I know, 'a body in white' was a term to describe a body sans motor/trans or possibly just the shell to be built into a competition car of some sort. I think without a vin, even. This is in reference to american cars for road race, drag race or rally.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm referring to cars that were shipped to Germany unfinished in white primer and built there instead of France. The interior also has white paint under the soundproofing crap.

·
Opeler
248 Posts
Body in white are for competition and would of come with no seam sealer,no sound deadening no undercoating. Would likely come with a VIN to prove it is what year it is. Hope this helps

·
Registered
533 Posts
As I recall from those years, such cars came from the factory with specific documentation on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin that the car could not legally be used on the highways.

·
Super Moderator
5,601 Posts
Here's a pic from under my 69 GT. Was this a body in white I've read about? Currently it's a body in rust. View attachment 424305 View attachment 424305
The '68 to '73 Opel GT bodies were all fabricated by Chausson in France under a sub-contract to Brissonneau & Lotz, who in turn was contracted by Opel. Chausson built all the bodies "in white" (meaning white primer), then either Brissonneau & Lotz (or Opel at Bochum for some of the early cars) painted, installed glass and trim and such, in preparation for the drivetrains to be installed in the Kadett assembly line in Bochum.

But I don't think that what you are seeing here is white primer. What is the paint code on the cowl VIN plate? Was the car originally white perhaps?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vin is 94170197. The radiator support is U1694 It could have been a white car at one time It's red now. I saw no white paint inside the nose though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I recall from those years, such cars came from the factory with specific documentation on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin that the car could not legally be used on the highways.
Yes, it had a Compliance plate at one time. It's gone now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still wondering. The underside has more white than red and has red overspray on the outer edges. There is white under the soundproofing in the interior. Was a white primer used on all of the cars? Is the underside supposed to be the same color of the car? The white paint is a base coat, not added later.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,948 Posts
The following is from my research and understanding into the GT's production and what is documented on the car reflecting that, as I have tried to better understand my own GT.

All GT bodies originated at Chausson, which was contracted by Brissonneau & Lotz to deliver shells ready to be painted so they already had a coat of primer. Some (according to Projekt 1484 there were 24,043 out of 103,463 in total) of the GT's were painted and assembled at Bochum, skipping Brissonneau & Lotz all together. All US spec GT's will have a U stamped on the radiator support, Euro spec GT's didn't have this. Below, BUN stands for body unit number.

US Spec GT's that were painted and prepped for assembly by Brissonneau & Lotz:
1969: The BUN won't have any prefix, just 4 digits and a U.
1970-73: The BUN will have a 10 prefix, so it will look like 10XXXX, and a U. My '73 for example is 1070844.
All GT's that went through B&L will also have another number stamped into the radiator support on the passenger side, this is B&L's specific production number. Mine is 71218, which means it was very close to the end of production. Comparing this to the BUN, I get the feeling this second number happened later. Perhaps right before shipping it to Bochum. This second number is easier to read and has exposed steel which tells me it happens after paint. My door has a date code of 1/73, which is almost halfway through the 1973 production year.

US Spec GT's that were sent straight to Bochum from Chausson:
1969: The BUN won't have any prefix but will have a U and a BB stamped into the steel and 4 digits.
1970-73: The BUN will have a 20 prefix, so it will look like 20XXXX, and a U.

All GT's eventually went to Bochum to have the driveline installed and got a VIN at that time.

Early on, it's quite possible that there was some careless painting of the GT's and not everywhere got painted, as they tried to ramp up production. So, parts of the interior and the undercarriage could have gone unpainted.

A lot more conversation about the GT's production can be found in this thread

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, much appreciated. I had read about this a few months ago and wasn't able to find it. Question answered.

·
Opel Addicts
2,454 Posts
I would have to say though, that my Fireglow GT, which I had to sand off the top coats of paint to do some body repairs, had white primer, as did Vickie's red 69 GT. I can't say it's this way for all GT's, but the white primer does add a lot of pop to the color coat and makes the color brighter.

Allen & Vickie Gage

·
Opeler
2,885 Posts
Had a 72 GT,and then a 73 GT, and both were Fireglow Orange.
Chipped paint on both showed white primer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for sharing. I'm in the midst of rust repair and I was hoping that the white primer was something special like it was a one off car for Hitler's grandaughter or nephew. Fortunately though, he hadn't any children. So my rusty gt is just a rusty, needy Gt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts