Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about all the Forum posts, but I just got my body kit yesterday, and I go to install it, and its about a 1/2 inch too short (from wheel well to wheel well) The only thing I could think of is that it is cold out, and maybe shrunk it? Please I need help, I dont want to end up breaking the fiberglass!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
a half inch is quite a bit, i dont think the expansion and contraction difference is that high between steel and fibgerglass, or anything for that matter.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
bumper support bracket????

did you take the front bumper support bracket off before trying to install? that could be the problem??? :confused:

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It isnt the Front Spoiler, its the side skirts. If I set one side in the correct place, I would have to bend the fiberglass like 1/4 - 1/2 inch to get it to fit, and I dont want to end up breaking it! If you have put in a kit before, did it go right on or did you have to stretch/bend it a little?

·
Registered
521 Posts
which body kit is it?

I have Steinmetz flares...there was quite a bit of bending, moving around and bending again to get it where I wanted.

These are the side skirts you speak of?...i.e. the skirts that go between wheel wells right? If your saying their too short...expect to add some fiberglass or if their too long cut some off...

The flares were fairly rough cut when I got them. This aint no Honda-bolt on body panel kit!!

Unfortuantly we have to actually work at it a little.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the side skirts and the California Edition Front Spoiler from OGTS. It is only the side skirts that don't fit, how hard it this going to be to bend to make fit? Sorry Im new at this stuff :(

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
im not familiar with the kit but is there enough fiberglass on he front spoiler and / or the back to trim 1/4
to 3/8 of an inch off and bring them together?
doing it this way moves the front back not the skirt forward
and leaves the sides the same as orig then you just have a small gap to fill before painting

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
just had a lookon ogts sitye and can't tell from the pic but could you discribe in more detail where it dose not fit as its like trying to answer how long is a bit of string at the moment;)

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well its right on the bottom of where the kit goes, pretty close to the bottom of the wheel well too (front of the rear, and behind the front) I hope that helps!

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
if thats the area you can do one of two things
1: get some bridging compound (resin and choped fiberglass mixed) then build up behind to bring the edges out to match then skom with bondo to get a smooth finnish
or
2:apply light pressure untill you think the kit is stressed as much as you are comfortable with then fix it in place and then use bridgeing comp and bondo to get a smooth finnish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts